The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

I'm not feeling Natalie on Buzz out loud.

by ludin101 / February 3, 2009 6:39 AM PST

I'm not listening to buzz out load anymore as I'm not feeling Natalie on the show. I've tried to give her a chance but It's not working. She doesn't bring anything new to the show. She has nothing substantial to add to the topic of discussion and I'm sick of her plugging Loaded every chance she gets.

She was really condescending to Molly on that last show and it turned me off completely from Buzz out loud. That last show was far from enjoyable, It was painful. I've been a long time listener but now I'll be getting my tech news elsewhere.

Goodbye buzztown.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm not feeling Natalie on Buzz out loud.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm not feeling Natalie on Buzz out loud.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Why don't you just switch to a once a week routine?
by kwahhn / February 3, 2009 6:41 AM PST
Collapse -
Whaa Whaa Whaa
by destinationspace / February 3, 2009 10:15 AM PST

Natalie is my favorite part of the show! She's got a great voice and a great upbeat personality. I love the interaction of all of the show's members. Daily pod-casts are also a big plus, so I have new material to listen to everyday at work!

Keep it up Buzz and you are doing a great job Natalie!!

Collapse -
well, actually...
by giorgitd / February 3, 2009 1:09 PM PST
In reply to: Whaa Whaa Whaa

I've been listening to BOL for more than two years. Molly is a difficult act to follow...and Natalie is her own person - as it should be. Natalie doesn't *rant* like Molly - and Molly's rants were a positive feature of BOL, I know. But Natalie has her own agenda and her own approach and those are equally valid as the Molly way. If you don't care for Natalie and are wailing for Molly, well, there are about 900+ BOL sessions for you to review. If you want to hear some opinions about what's happening *today*, well, accept the change. Quit bellyaching. Today is a new day and Natalie appears to be trying hard, is informed and delivering high value content. Unhappy? Tune into BOL on Mondays and unburden the bandwidth about Molly's absence on other days. Change happens.

Collapse -
Exactly!
by techdribble / February 3, 2009 1:48 PM PST
In reply to: well, actually...

If you dont like it move on quit whining. Natali is doing a great job and she is being true to herself. There will only ever be one Molly and frankly I would be annoyed if Natali was trying to be Molly instead of herself.

Collapse -
Well I Actually I think you should be allowed to voice your
by geocas1 / February 5, 2009 6:41 AM PST
In reply to: well, actually...

If you are just supposed to shut up and take it then there would be a ton of crappy shows on the web. The people who produce the shows I think depend on our feedback and opinions when it comes to figuring out what works and what does not.

By you telling someone to "unburden the bandwidth about Molly's absence" ,I think, is as wrong as me telling you to be quite about how good you think she is doing. Having it be that she just started, then I think the opinion of the listeners really matters in case the majority of people don't agree with you and end up tuning out.

Collapse -
bye, you wont be missed
by robstak / February 3, 2009 11:27 PM PST

didnt molly explicitly say to lay off. you sir do not listen well, do you?

Collapse -
Ahhhh...It's just like old times
by kwahhn / February 4, 2009 12:48 AM PST

When people were complaining about Molly. Welcome Natalie. You have arrived.

Collapse -
yeah...
by surfpark / February 4, 2009 1:55 AM PST

The content hasn't changed. Do you stop watching the news when they change the anchor? Seriously, just stop listening. Did you really have to tell everyone that you, a listener that listens to the show privately, is not going to listen anymore? Was this your last ditch-effort to leave in a tantrum and slam the door?

Collapse -
Actually....
by PressAnyKey / February 4, 2009 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: yeah...

Yes, people have been known to switch their sources of news when a new anchor takes over... It happens all the time...

Collapse -
BOL is not a news report
by Nicholas Buenk / February 4, 2009 1:52 PM PST
In reply to: yeah...

It's more like a talk show I guess. Jokes and conversational nature of it, make the show. The characters on it hence matters far more than it does on a news program.

Collapse -
She's not a Molly replacement
by isting / February 4, 2009 2:26 AM PST

Natali has a different personality. Jason is not like Veronica. When things change, it takes some time to adjust to the new personality.

Collapse -
Chill, chemistry takes a while.
by jeffgoblue / February 4, 2009 3:04 AM PST

Relax, it takes a while for a new line-up to develop their chemistry. Natali is doing fine, and it won't be long before the new core threesome are a well-oiled machine.

Collapse -
Agreed
by PressAnyKey / February 4, 2009 3:11 AM PST

I'm certainly not planning to change my listening habits but I am waiting for Natali to fly off the handle.

Collapse -
RE: Chill, chemistry takes a while.
by drhjr / February 9, 2009 4:35 AM PST

No it doesn't. The whole thing about chemistry is that it works right off the bat! You can't teach or practice good chemistry, it just exists.

Collapse -
Chemostry is not instant
by manwreck / February 26, 2009 4:31 AM PST

I respectfully disagree -- chemistry is not automatic or instant. It takes time for team members to know each other's style and learn where everyone fits within the ecosystem. This is especially true when there is a strong team rapport in place, and only one member of the team is replaced. Double the challenge with Natali being remote when the rest of the crew is local.

I don't disagree that there are challenges, but it takes time and effort under the best circumstances. As a lifelong musician and performer, I know from my life experience that putting together groups to "perform" together (essentially what BOL does), is hard work and takes time to iron out kinks.

I was bummed when Veronica left the show, but Jason came into his own and is awesome, and it took time and effort for that to happen. Be patient.

Collapse -
Batches
by Renegade Knight / February 4, 2009 3:34 AM PST

I go in spurts. So I'll know in a week about the Post Molly show...

Collapse -
i agree with ludin101
by fondoo / February 8, 2009 1:55 AM PST
In reply to: Batches

i agree with ludin101. natalie is great on loaded, but BOL... its not working for me. especially when she intro the show in the beginning. i miss molly. brian cooley is great when he's on the show, brian tong cracks me up, i simply miss molly.

Collapse -
Reminds me of my radio DJ days...
by Slikkster / February 4, 2009 4:01 AM PST

It was quite the common occurence: Some DJ either gets fired or moves on, and the new guy/gal has to listen to disgruntled callers for months saying "no offense, but I miss DJ xxx". I'm sure Tom can relate to that, being an old radio dude.

Truth be told, though, I haven't listened to BOL since right before Molly left. I don't know; I guess I needed the break. I now listen to NPR on my commute to work in the morning (to the "Takeaway" show), and NPR on my way home ("Fresh Air"). And I'm not even a flaming Liberal!

So, "no offense", BOL. Hey, I've even put TWIT on my listening hiatus list. No worries, though. I'll probably be back as soon as the NPR pledge drive begins in earnest, lol.

Collapse -
Jason and I are still here.
by acedtect / February 5, 2009 8:52 AM PST

Just in case... you know... you liked our 2/3 of the show. Which apparently you didn't.

I disagree that she doesn't bring anything substantial to the discussion. She's well-read in areas that I don't know that much about.

I see what you're saying about Loaded but she is coming off of just recording and posting it, so it's fresh in her mind. It's not a malicious thing.

But thanks for making your feelings known. It *is* appreciated even if it's not what we want to hear. We need all the feedback good and bad. And the more honest and educated the opinion the better.

--Tom

Collapse -
1/3 ;)
by Nicholas Buenk / February 5, 2009 9:05 AM PST

Veronica is irreplacable as well.
I guess 1/3 is better than nothing though I'll keep listening. Wink

Collapse -
There are no fractions. TomMolly is a quantum state.
by theotherzathras / May 4, 2009 9:39 AM PDT
In reply to: 1/3 ;)

I have to agree. I like Jason, and he often has funny or clever things to say, but he also tends to say things that have already been said, or that are painfully obvious. Having said that, I don't think the overall quality of the show went down significantly when he replaced Veronica. I do think it has gone down significantly since Molly left, though. I don't mean that as an insult to Tom at all. One of the unique things about BOL has always been the synergy between him and Molly. They both need to be there to create those insightful, challenging discussions.
I won't be unsubscribing any time soon, but I have to say that if my first exposure to BOL had been one of the recent episodes with neither Tom nor Molly, I probably wouldn't have become a regular listener. They were boring. I didn't get anything out of them that I wouldn't have from reading the same stories myself at digg or slashdot.

Collapse -
It's a tough act to follow...
by DKhoji / February 5, 2009 3:16 PM PST

Hi Tom,

I absolutely agree with you that Natali is very well informed, that becomes clearer and clearer from show to show. I think that her only problem, if she has one, is that she is still a little nervous, which is understandable considering the circumstances - particularly if she's reading threads like this one. My message to her would be there's no need to be nervous, the more she lets her hair down the better she will be (maybe a martini before the show...just kidding...). BOL isn't about getting the tech news right, it's about having fun and venting what we all feel about tech news in an entertaining way.

What has always made BOL special has been the unique mixture of solid tech information and news combined with inspired horseplay and so far that worked best with variants of the Tom, Molly, Veronica, Jason combination, because that group had a very special chemistry. And it's really the combination, just like the Beatles, it doesn't happen with any of the individuals on their own. Kelly, Molly and Jason on Gadgettes are another example of a group with inspired chemistry that just makes the show.

Collapse -
Tom, that was a great post
by fulltimecasual / February 9, 2009 12:53 AM PST

Tom, as long as you are on BOL i will listen. Jason, you're fantastic too! I have issues with Natali, but i'm sure they will pass. But i understand how bloody hard it would be for anyone to step into a show that has been based on a chemistry between the two main hosts.

After what, 800 episodes together, you guys had the greatest rapport in media. It wouldnt matter if the show was about opera or weather patterns in Poland or that strange version of football you kids play in America, i would have listened. You guys, together, are simply that good. Your chemistry raised BOL to the This American Life of tech. Anyone trying to replace either one of you would have generated these threads.

Tom was always the level-headed facts man, Molly the angry "special comments" woman. It just worked. Thats one of the reasons why Natali as replacement is so jarring, she more often than not plays the level headed facts person, which has lead to some awesome 'angry special comments' from Tom, but the right mixture isnt there yet. But i'm willing to wait for it to work itself out.

To the people complaining, remember when you'd leave the house with your ipod and hear either Molly or Tom was away that day. You knew as good as the show would be, it wouldnt be that perfectly well oiled machine you loved. Give BOL the breathing space to get back to that...

To Natali, thanks for stopping the cross promotion of Loaded/CBS. This was my main concern, even when you were a guest on the show. Also, move back to the bay, chemistry can only happen when you guys are in the same room/state/timezone.

I cant believe I care this much about BOL to write this post, but i do. Happy

Pete.

Collapse -
Solid post
by Balls_Maximus / February 9, 2009 1:05 AM PST

Well said, I've been studying the commentary, including my own, and like you said, people care about the show. They have a personal relationship with it. They don't have that with Nat yet. Half the regulars are in a rejecting stage, and the other half are in a defensive stage. The commentary that results has proven most entertaining. You did a very good job of being constructive. I agree having her in a studio by herself may be the key barrier in her relationship with other cast members.

I remember when molly was calling in from home, she too seemed distant, though her style was familiar, and we could relate. Very good point.

I'm hungry.

Collapse -
Mind you
by fbbbb / March 11, 2009 12:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Solid post

We could have a drinking game for all under-18 / 21's.

If Natali doesn't say 'Loaded' in an episode, you are allowed one beer.

I think it's fair to say everyone will still be legal for a while... Silly

Collapse -
Natali
by ariyanti.sariajani / March 5, 2009 1:04 AM PST

Molly has a few more battle scars than Natali. Molly rips into viewers all the time Natali gives out birthday wishes does anymore have to be said.

Collapse -
True...
by n74jw / March 11, 2009 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Natali

I do remember Molly going quasi-postal on some listeners/viewers, but she would get it back together. Natali just seems to be slightly nasty as a norm.

Collapse -
She is driving me nuts.
by Stricken / February 5, 2009 10:34 PM PST

I am so close to calling it a day on her, I don't know if i can listen to her anymore. She is arrogant and opinionated, and is on par with Jessica Simpson for Depth of content. Twitter isn't a news organization Nat. I know Molly asked us to lay off, well i'm asking Molly not to judge us because she makes me want to stab myself in the ear. And chemistry does not take time, Jason fit right in. I have been listening since before they were numbered, and now if she stays on my days are numbered!! I say WE as Buzzers Start a petition to take her off the show. Peace Love and I love the show, till now!

Collapse -
BUH-BYE to you then
by ktreb / February 5, 2009 11:03 PM PST

I'm a long time listener. I miss Molly too, but Natali has grown on me. I would never sign a such a petition.

Collapse -
Me too!
by skellener / February 6, 2009 12:29 AM PST
In reply to: BUH-BYE to you then

I miss Molly as well. But I don't understand the hate towards Natali. She's cool.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.