Cameras

Question

I'm looking for a good dslr under $1,500

by kielegocnet / March 18, 2012 8:52 PM PDT

I have a point and shoot Sony camera, but I'm not satisfied. I need a good dslr. My priorities are, fast shutter speed, because I take pictures of fast moving objects like cars and sports, fast auto focus, high iso because I don't like using the flash, good video recording, for fast moving objects. I'm planning on getting either the canon 60d oor the Sony a55. Please help, thank you!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm looking for a good dslr under $1,500
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm looking for a good dslr under $1,500
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Canon 60D - Sony A55
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 19, 2012 12:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks
by kielegocnet / March 19, 2012 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon 60D - Sony A55

I have read the site. I have read the comments, people like both cameras. I might as well get the 60D. Do you have anymore recomendations?

Collapse -
Answer
They are all good
by PistonCupChampion / March 19, 2012 2:34 AM PDT

Any DSLR can meet your priorities, but you need to know how to use the camera. A DSLR does not automatically equate to better pictures. Indeed, if you try to use it exactly like your point-and-shoot camera, you might be very disappointed. You need to understand exposure; that will help you get the photos you want.

"A fast shutter speed" is somewhat meaningless. Any camera, even a P&S, has a fast enough available shutter speed. Shutter speed is one of three variables of exposure. The other two are aperture and ISO. When you let the camera choose all three variables, it doesn't know what you want, it only knows to make a "correct" exposure.

All DSLR cameras have fast autofocus. But they won't necessarily focus on what you want if you do not tell it what to focus on.

All DSLR's are pretty good at high ISO, although some are a bit better than others. Regardless, cameras do not automatically select a high ISO unless you have programmed it.

Flash is essential for some photography. I understand why you do not like it, because you have only gotten and seen bad flash photos. But done correctly, flash photos can be much better than a "natural" light photo. It is just another skill that needs to be learned, just like understanding exposure.

Both the cameras you are considering are very good. The body is only a part of a system, though. If you bought a less expensive body, that would allow you to budget more for lenses or other accessories that might be useful for sports photography.

Collapse -
Thank you for explaining...
by kielegocnet / March 19, 2012 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: They are all good

I already do understand the basics of photography. My point and shoot camera could only adjust the iso and the exposure. I have seen good flash photography. I have been in some studio where there are specific lightings around. Thanks for explaining. Things got clearer. Happy but the canon 60D has I think 5fps and the A55 has 10fps. But the 60D is 1/8000th max shutter speed and the A55 is 1/4000th max shutter speed. I still don't get that part...

Collapse -
FPS and Shutter Speed
by PistonCupChampion / March 19, 2012 3:26 AM PDT

The Sony certainly has a faster frame rate, but it is not without drawbacks. DPreview wrote, "The 'headline' 10fps shooting mode is useful in some situations, but ultimately we can't help feeling that it is something of a red herring. The A55 is an excellent camera but it is not the ideal tool for shooting fast action. The limitations of using the 10fps mode - (no live view updates, no aperture control if you want AF during the burst) limit its effectiveness, and although it is good for its class, the A55's 15-point AF system is not in the same league as higher-end cameras when it comes to predictive focusing." The A55's true speed (with full control like the 60D) is 6fps.

Having a 1/8000 shutter speed means that there is more control available without resorting to addition tools. For example, you might want a photo with a very shallow depth of field (a blurry background) on a very bright day. If you had a camera that only had a 1/4000 top shutter speed, you would need a neutral density filter on the lens.

Collapse -
I see...
by kielegocnet / March 19, 2012 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: FPS and Shutter Speed

So I'm getting the Canon 60D then. Grin I'm a bit new though...

Collapse -
Answer
Pentax?
by Suupa / April 18, 2012 5:14 PM PDT

Why doesn't anyone recommend the Pentax K-5? It seems as though it's a lot better then both of those. Spec wise that is.

Collapse -
Good Camera
by PistonCupChampion / April 18, 2012 11:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Pentax?

The K-5 is indeed a well-specified camera. But Pentax is very difficult to find in stores to "test-drive."

Collapse -
I made up my mind.
by kielegocnet / April 19, 2012 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Good Camera

I'm getting an a57 due to high iso and 12fps. Cheaper than the a65 too. I could get the a65 if the a57 won't be on sale here.

Collapse -
so it has been a couple of months....
by mcmetc / June 9, 2012 5:32 PM PDT
In reply to: I made up my mind.

what did you get and how do you like it?

Collapse -
actually my mind Isnt made up yet.
by kielegocnet / July 14, 2012 10:53 PM PDT

Well, I'm going to get the camera next week. I have to choices. The Nex-7 and the A65. I wanna get the a65 but my mum is thinking of buying me the nex-7. Both are great cameras. Alpha lenses are cheaper than the nex lenses. So, it's up to my mum. Hope she gets the A65. (late post cause I don't check the spam folder)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.