Phones forum

Question

I'm a quadriplegic, a cell phone help please

by Munkypoop99 / October 26, 2012 9:18 AM PDT

Hello! I am a 29-year-old quadriplegic, paralyzed from the shoulders down. I need to use my voice to control anything in my life. I want to buy a cell phone, but I am clueless as to which one is best for me. Of course I would be using a Bluetooth with the phone. I was wondering if there are any phones that can meet what I am looking for. I know most you can make can answer calls, messages, and a few other basic things. I want to be able to control every app, and even added apps with just my voice, and preferably no help from someone else in any way. Are there any phones that can do this for me? I would appreciate any help! Thank you very much!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm a quadriplegic, a cell phone help please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm a quadriplegic, a cell phone help please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I have a friend who worked in the VA Hospitals.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2012 9:23 AM PDT

And part of the service they provide there is to find solutions for folk like you.

So that's my advice. Use your current support systems and ask them to set you up.
Bob

Collapse -
I am not a veteran?
by Munkypoop99 / October 28, 2012 8:59 AM PDT

But I am not a veteran? Isn't that what the VA hospitals are for?

Collapse -
My example is an example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2012 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: I am not a veteran?

Such services are not only at said hospitals. I've yet to meet a quad that didn't have support to ask for such things.
Bob

Collapse -
Okay, you lost me
by Munkypoop99 / October 28, 2012 10:40 AM PDT

Okay, you kind of lost me on that one. Are you saying I should have people who can ask for things for me?

Collapse -
Your choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2012 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Okay, you lost me

Since I've seen support for folk before I thought you could ask your support network to set this up. Even that blue ant will require fiddling and configuration so you would be right back to those that provide your care and support.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
I have a suggestion....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / October 26, 2012 10:45 AM PDT

I own a Blue Ant S4 and it might fit your needs. It allows you to answer calls, dial stored phone #'s and perform additional functions by voice only. You should look into it to see if it meets your needs. Good luck, hope this helpful.

Collapse -
Is that it though
by Munkypoop99 / October 28, 2012 8:57 AM PDT

Is that all it does, though? Is calling are answering calls? Can you control every app on the phone with just your voice? And do you need help turning on the voice or anything?

Collapse -
Best sugges6ion....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / October 28, 2012 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Is that it though

....is to go to the internet site to read more about it or have a friend check it out for you. All you do is turn it on and connect via a blue tooth connection to the phone. It simply works well. The S4 is hands free device and very versatile. I hope this device might be helpful to you. I bought mine at a local Best Buy store.

Collapse -
What is that exactly
by Munkypoop99 / October 28, 2012 10:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Best sugges6ion....

What is that exactly? The brand of the cell phone and type?

Collapse -
I'm not aware of a product that meets your needs
by Pepe7 / October 28, 2012 1:34 PM PDT
In reply to: What is that exactly

The Blue Ant S4 is a speaker phone device that will interface with a phone. I'm not aware of this or any current product that would permit you 100% control over all apps as you have suggested earlier in this thread. Link to info on the S4, and also on the accompanying Android app-

http://www.myblueant.com/products/speakerphones/s4/

http://www.myblueant.com/android/knowledgebase.php

Siri, a feature found on some Apple iPhones/iOS6, will let you at least *open* apps using voice control. There's no way (yet) to control what the apps do via Siri as far as I know. That might come later w/ some apps that run on iPhones/iPads/iOS6.

Collapse -
Answer
I guess with people not having to do with it
by Munkypoop99 / October 30, 2012 3:52 AM PDT

I am not insulting anyone. I am just saying it seems like no one knows especially if they are not dealing with it in their life with paralysis. I am okay with someone turning the phone and putting in the blue tooth, but after that I want to control everything with my voice and every app and hopefully every app added later. Maybe the technology is not that high yet

Collapse -
I think I know why this is not happening.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2012 4:05 AM PDT

As we saw the retreat of the ADA over the years (notice no mandate for closed captions on HDTV?) and more, companies now are free to ignore a portion of the market.

I hope I don't upset you or rather you don't take this out on me but I am seeing companies will not make stuff accessible unless they are forced to do so.
Bob

Collapse -
Why would I?
by Munkypoop99 / November 1, 2012 4:58 AM PDT

That would not upset me, anything you are currently saying, I understand. 5 years ago, when I became paralyzed, there was nothing technologically speaking to help people like me. But now there are computer programs that gives me some independence. I'm just hoping there is cell phones, preferably out, or coming out that will give me more independence.

Collapse -
Voice-recognition programs aren't there yet
by joortiz22 / March 29, 2013 2:10 AM PDT

I've done extensive computer science and programming and voice recognition software is just not there to be able to control every single application on the phone. Not only with those who write the code for the voice-recognition software have to deal to anticipate what a game does, the creators of the game would also have to code their program in a way that the voice-recognition software can interact with the game. This takes quite an effort and even Google's gmail has just finally become completely compatible with Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Many times I was writing an e-mail and it would not transfer into their Word documents spot. Sorry to say but I do not see the ability of controlling every application anytime soon. By the way I am a C45 quadriplegic, but I have used in my arms and I can push the buttons with my tongue or lip. I text by this method and insert all my appointments in the my calendar by this method. The only thing I could say to you is create a stand create a stand that mounts on chair armrest and holds the phone up by your mouth. Make a holder that can hold a touch stylus and then when you want to use the phone simply grab the touch stylus with your mouth and you can play games on the phone, import your appointments in the calendar, and text. However there are headphones that will text and do your appointments for you.

Good luck with all of that, being a quad you need to be inventive and create things your own way as nobody is going to do it for us.

Collapse -
Answer
Sesame Enable
by odedbendov / December 26, 2013 5:35 PM PST

Sesame Enable is a relatively new company working towards a fully head-controlled smartphone (will be Android based):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29SCwYNi_xo

Till that product comes out, they have released an Android app that allows you to read eBooks while turning the pages with your head. So independent reading is possible for quadriplegics (after an assisted setup).
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sesame.reader&hl=en

For proper disclosure, I am the founder of Sesame Enable Happy
My co-founder is a quadriplegic himself, and initiated this development.

Best,
Oded

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.