Speakeasy forum

Praise

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

by JP Bill / November 28, 2012 5:09 AM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Love your subject line! :-)
by drpruner / November 29, 2012 7:05 AM PST
Collapse -
You do know you're speaking in a code the folks here won't
by Ziks511 / December 1, 2012 11:00 PM PST

understand.

Say thank you to the glorious Steve Smith, ex-High School Teacher, ex small time TV network program producer, director, writer, singer, performer with his wife Morag, ultimately the producer, writer, performer, director of the Red Green Show, which is far funnier than any big budget network show on the air.

That wonderful line is the pledge that all the members of Possum Lodge, the wilderness retreat run by Red, have to say at the end of their meetings.

It is a parody of any and all of those fishing shows hosted by an old bearded guy in a check shirt and khakis, chinos, LL Bean trousers, Eddie Bauer trousers. Red Green also wears suspenders with his belt, one side Red, bet you can't guess what colour the other side is?

A superb juxtaposition of a cultural reference and a story JP. My compliments.

Rob

Collapse -
(NT) Not just all men, but all white men.
by Diana Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 8:26 AM PST
Collapse -
Is that why most of them
by James Denison / December 3, 2012 9:28 AM PST

have wives, but black men just want "girlfriends"? The horrible white man, blue eyed devils, strikes again.

Collapse -
??
by Diana Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 8:08 PM PST

What does one have to do with the other? Are you saying that Republicans only think of women as wives rather than working partners and competent individuals?

Diana

Collapse -
a wife is not competent???
by James Denison / December 4, 2012 2:08 AM PST
In reply to: ??

Wives don't work? Mother's don't care and raise children? Why such a poor opinion of women who choose the life of a wife and mother exclusively?

Collapse -
Diana, I'm afraid that asking James to account for his
by Ziks511 / December 4, 2012 2:55 AM PST
In reply to: ??

prejudices, and back them up with a few real instances of them occurring in the real world, would make the Forum a pretty boring and incoherent read, leaving no room for the rest of us.

However, judging by the current ever diminishing circle of Republicans, Yes, they do think of women as only fit for "Kinder, Kuch, und Kirche." That's "Children, the Kitchen, and Church" for those of you who don't Habla.

You want to know what James thinks, just think back to All in the Family, and everything Archie Bunker said, but without the laugh track, because he really believes all those stereotypical things that came out of Archie's mouth.

If James proposes a "Lebensborn" program to redress the "racial imbalance" in the US, then I'm out of here.

Rob

Collapse -
Actually, I'm standing up against
by James Denison / December 4, 2012 3:05 AM PST

the prejudice I see expressed against women, who prefer to be mothers and wives full time. For those women, they have chosen what they see as the more important and rewarding job and female role than all the "Mary Tyler Moore's" out there who put career before marriage and children.

Collapse -
So what do you think of the women
by Diana Forum moderator / December 4, 2012 4:51 AM PST

that make their careers first before they have children?

Should men have to choose between having a career and raising children?

How do you feel about men that prefer to be husbands and fathers full time and let the wife work?

Diana

Collapse -
I'm fine with that.
by James Denison / December 5, 2012 4:06 AM PST

Having a parent at home, especially during the child rearing years, is a good thing.

Collapse -
I will agree it's wrong to down those choosing to be
by Roger NC / December 6, 2012 7:52 AM PST

a housewife.

When both agree, and they can afford it, I think it's great for a parent to be home anytime the kids are, and available all the time.

And it may be chavinistic still, but I think for young, thinking pre-school age, the mother's presence helps more than the fathers. Althought the opposite sex parent seems to be a reality, as far as some depending more on one parent than the other.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.