Computer Newbies

General discussion

I'm a computer newb, does reformating remove virus' and..

by ali g 123 / January 28, 2008 9:18 AM PST

I reformatted after suspicion of my computer being infected with a key logger trojan.

Should i feel safe now?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'm a computer newb, does reformating remove virus' and..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'm a computer newb, does reformating remove virus' and..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
yes
by welrdelr / January 28, 2008 1:11 PM PST

just be more careful.
Use the paranoid approach to security.
Set up a dual boot with linux so that you can have an emergency system.

Collapse -
Maybe, unless the virus has effected the BIOs
by Dango517 / January 28, 2008 1:20 PM PST

it should be safe. Reformatting the hard drive is kind of like using a nuke on ants. Your Virus software will most likely take care of most of them, unless it effects the BIOs. In this situation maybe only a new computer is the cure. Some really good repair shops can even remove them from the BIOs. If the virus was effecting the BIOS you'd know as soon as you turned on the PC.

Anyone else want to chime in here. How about you Bob P..

This tread untracked.

Collapse -
computer start up showing whether the virus effected my bios
by ali g 123 / January 28, 2008 3:19 PM PST

thank you, and also, how would i know it effects the bios when i start it up?

Collapse -
Correction I was wrong.
by Dango517 / February 3, 2008 4:29 PM PST
Collapse -
Long Discussion About A While Back In Virus/Security Forum
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 29, 2008 11:40 AM PST
Collapse -
Does reformatting remove viruses
by d.arbib / February 1, 2008 9:56 AM PST

In principle, I agree with others, that it will remove viruses on re-formatting, but in my experience I have found residual bits on the drive which can cause difficities. So generally I completly wipe the disk to a raw state using the free cversion of KillDisk

Collapse -
virus vs reformat
by guywayne / February 1, 2008 12:07 PM PST

Reformatting should take care of it, 99 44/100% of the time anyway. More secure than just the reformat would be to wipe the disk clean with something like DBaN, this will keep you from resurrecting chunks of data later with unerase or even chkdsk. Of course, safe computing up front will stop you from needing to wipe the disk again in the future. Use a limited account where you can, run a good anti-virus, anti-malware and firewall -and don't click where you shouldn't- and you should't get stung with virii, keyloggers and other nasties.

Collapse -
Went to respond to you for reformatting is the easy way but
by darclew3-2215827575258062 / February 2, 2008 9:39 PM PST
In reply to: virus vs reformat

I haven't looked at your system. All my info to reinstall are on zip drives plus some CD's I also use. The same I can use DVD+/-RW for they hold a lot and can be reformated. I have 6 of those and one 100mb zip that are blank. Having Windows XP Home Edition, it has a different format (ntfs) versus Fat32, Fat16 but there is something called a killdisk that will wipe out all formats.
www.killdisk(dot)com and it can be put onto a CD-R. It is the free edition I am using, only thing it will leave behind is your setup screen. It will clean an entire hard drive like my Western Digital 40.01 DBAN will only be used on NTFS only. Kill disk is quicker and you don't need a floppy or type in nofloppy
I have used it 7 times in two weeks for I had gotten a lousy DSL setup and now using something that gives me nearly 87% free space. (dot) is the period on the link. Darrell

Collapse -
not all virus can be remove by formating
by xhanis / February 3, 2008 4:06 PM PST

hey there,

i read your problem and understand that even if you formatting your hard drive cannot kill the virus especially when the virus are very hard to move anyway you must also check either your other removeable storage are infected with virus if yes it just be a waste of time to do it again (formatting hard drive).

make sure to scan with antivirus program check if the any harmful virus in your storage

that all

Collapse -
Reformating may not remove virus's
by kishor565 / February 6, 2008 2:00 PM PST

Rescently I faced a virus named "funny UST scandal.avi" which made me scruffy. To protect my pc I generally updates my avast anti virus. But the avast failed to remove that virus.then the first thing i did is formatting.(Ofcourse the virus not allowed me to format drives from windows,I did format through MS-DOS)Even i format my entair system the virus is reappeared.Then atlast I partetioned my hard disk and got rid of that virus.

Collapse -
can we know the method on how to remove the virus you said
by xhanis / February 7, 2008 12:35 AM PST

it is unclear for me to say but can you show a tip on how to remove the virus maybe some of us are encountering this even i also had some time problem with the stubborn virus

maybe this wiil relieve some tension for me as well

Collapse -
Partitioning to remove virus
by kishor565 / February 7, 2008 5:08 PM PST

Thank you for mailing me.
I told that I had partitioned my entire drives to remove virus.You should know that partitioning will remove entire data in your hard disk. Let us see how to partition ...
1.First of all you need is a fresh copy of windows(XP/vista) operating system.Insert OS disk in your cd/dvd drive and reboot.While booting it asks you whether you want to install a fresh copy of OS.Press yes and then you will see your partitioned drives(C;D;E;F). 2.Select any partition and press 'd' to remove that partition. Like that delete all partitions including the drive in which you've installed OS in past(generally C:drive).
3.Ok! Now you deleted all partitions and thus you lost entire data presented in your hard disk.
4.Now if you want to create again partitions,select unpartitioned drive and press 'c'. You will see a menu to write size of memory in MBs to create a partition.Write size depending upon your hard disk size and number of partitions you want to create(generally keep 10240 or more for installing OS on any one partition).Thus you have created fresh partitions.
5.Select any one partition and press 'f' to format it and proceed OS installation in that partition.
I never supposed doing partitions even for less harmful viruses since partitioning will delete entire data on you hard disk.
Mail me if you have doubtsThank you for mailing me.
I told that I had partitioned my entire drives to remove virus.You should know that partitioning will remove entire data in your hard disk. Let us see how to partition ...
1.First of all you need is a fresh copy of windows(XP/vista) operating system.Insert OS disk in your cd/dvd drive and reboot.While booting it asks you whether you want to install a fresh copy of OS.Press yes and then you will see your partitioned drives(C;D;E;F). 2.Select any partition and press 'd' to remove that partition. Like that delete all partitions including the drive in which you've installed OS in past(generally C:drive).
3.Ok! Now you deleted all partitions and thus you lost entire data presented in your hard disk.
4.Now if you want to create again partitions,select unpartitioned drive and press 'c'. You will see a menu to write size of memory in MBs to create a partition.Write size depending upon your hard disk size and number of partitions you want to create(generally keep 10240 or more for installing OS on any one partition).Thus you have created fresh partitions.
5.Select any one partition and press 'f' to format it and proceed OS installation in that partition.
I never supposed doing partitions even for less harmful viruses since partitioning will delete entire data on you hard disk.
Mail me if you have doubts yet.Thank you!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.