Phones forum

General discussion

I just want a phone......

by Jim Hubbard / December 21, 2006 10:48 AM PST

I just want a phone. No MP3 player. No low quality cameras. No useless video recording. No cheezy, never-will-be-played games. Just a phone dedicated to making, recieving, recording and logging phone calls that can talk to my PC.

I want a phone that makes making, recieving and logging phone calls an art.

I want a phone that has sound quality so good that I look behind me to make sure the person I am talking to isn't playing some sick joke on me.

I want a phone that is COMPLETELY controllable via voice commands.

I've ranted a little more at http://justwhydontpeoplegetit.blogspot.com/2006/12/i-just-want-phone.html.

If you "just want a phone" too, I'd love to have you reply to my blog.

If enough people respond to my blog, maybe we can get somebody's attention. So, tell a friend to visit too.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I just want a phone......
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I just want a phone......
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by rdabney-letstalk / December 21, 2006 12:02 PM PST

You want a dinosaur phone jk, or try a nokia 6061.

Collapse -
I just want a phone.
by rdabney-letstalk / December 21, 2006 12:22 PM PST

There are a lot of phones that do what you listed. You just have to find the right one for you. They are called smart phones. A good phone to go with is the Nokia N80, N91, Samsung Blackjack (Cingular),and also the E70 are just a few that I would recommend. Those fun features are just part of cell phones these days. Its just up to you to use them.

LetsTalk.com
Rashard D.
1-866-825-8460 Ext:3228

Collapse -
Next time, read my post....
by Jim Hubbard / December 21, 2006 12:59 PM PST
In reply to: I just want a phone.

I would consider it a personal favor if you would kindly read my posts before replying.

All of the phones that you mentioned are EXACTLY what is wrong with cellphones today. They are EXACTLY the kind of hybrid crap that I said that I DON'T want.

They waste resources, battery life, weight and size on loads of crap that have NOTHING to do with my purpose for a phone - to make and track phone calls. If I want all of that crap, I'll just use my laptop and a Skype phone.

Here's my personal favor to you.... I will simply consider that you were (a) joking with your post or (b) a little too full of some favorite holiday spirits to know better than to post such obviously wrong suggestions.

Merry Christmas!

Collapse -
hahaha. keep in mind LetsTalk is a cell phone agent
by wombatshtcrazy / December 22, 2006 4:47 AM PST

They're just trying to sell you a phone.

Collapse -
hahaha. keep in mind LetsTalk is a cell phone agent
by rdabney-letstalk / December 26, 2006 10:50 AM PST

No I'm not trying to sell a phone. I could care less. My question would be, why would you complain about the way cell phones are made; when there is a cell phone out there that does what you want. If you want a phone that doesnt have all of the fun features, get a Blackberry. I was just giving some advice since it looks like the guy hasn't researched cell phones well.

Collapse -
You didn't help....you just lied.
by Jim Hubbard / December 27, 2006 12:28 AM PST

I looked at all of the phones you suggested. They are just as full of crap as you are.

Do they perform the functions desired? Some do. But they ALL still have crappy cameras and MP3 players and games nobody plays...etc.

They all still waste time, space, money and memory on features that have nothing to do with communications.

Stop lying and go away.

Collapse -
The evil Tracfone?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2006 1:43 AM PST

I wanted a phone for the car with no contract and no features. A little shopping found those 20 buck phones from tracfone and others without all those features. 99 bucks and the car has a one years phone.

Bob

Collapse -
Plain old telephone
by Hermitlike / October 17, 2010 1:34 AM PDT

I know this message is old but I agree. I just want to make calls. I don't want music, text messaging, camera, games, etc. on my cell phone. I only use it to make calls. I want the choice of what is or isn't on my phone. Alas I fear we are the very small minority in this world.

Collapse -
cell
by jenifer04 / October 17, 2010 7:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Plain old telephone

I want to buy a new cell phone so which one is better for me?

Collapse -
(NT) Nobody can tell, except you.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 18, 2010 12:02 AM PDT
In reply to: cell
Collapse -
I"m in the same boat, but
by jennywren1420 / October 23, 2010 2:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Plain old telephone

I've done some research and have found several phones that sound good (though they have more features than I need and won't connect with a Mac). My question is: I can get unlocked phones, but they aren't designated as T-Mobile?friendly or compatible with a prepaid account. Can I safely buy one of those, or is it going to have menus, say, from AT&T?something that some people who bought unlocked phones for a GSM SIM have noted? At T-Mobile, they want only to sell you the phones at the Website (bad reviews for the prepaid ones) or at the store (no better).

That is, can I buy any unlocked phone and use it with my T-Mobile account? Likewise, if I buy a locked GSM phone (from a reputable place) that has been well liked, and then unlock it, can I use it with T-Mobile? I went to J&R, and the people there couldn't tell me anything.

Bottom line: (1) I want to buy a GSM phone with very good or excellent sound?the one great deficiency of the old, old Moto phone I just lost, although it worked wonderfully in the UK. (2) I need to use it with my T-Mobile prepaid account. Will I be able to buy and use a phone that T-Mobile doesn't offer (already unlocked or unlocked by somebody)?

One I had in mind was the Nokia 7020. I can also get a (slightly pricy) Motorola Razr V3, but it's a little big for my hand and the very shiny keypad could be a little hard to see clearly. . . . There are others, of course, but those were two I have considered.

This may seem terribly ignorant, but I admit to my lack of experience and knowledge. Despite its lack of features and iffy sound, in places, I liked my old phone, but I'm ready for a different one. Any help you can offer would be very welcome.

Jenny

Collapse -
I forgot to say I need to use the phone overseas
by jennywren1420 / October 23, 2010 3:20 AM PDT

I shall unlock any phone I get, because I must use the phone in the UK (or anywhere else I go) and shall use my SIM card from there. Any recommendations? I've been checking out some phones, and some can't do this. I need a "tri-band" phone.

Thanks! Hoping to hear some suggestions. I lost my old phone and need to have one for receiving phone calls and texts?especially, because I can't stay in one place all the time and may need to receive calls from or about my aged mother.

Many thanks,

Jenny

Collapse -
phone suggestion
by birdmantd Forum moderator / October 25, 2010 3:08 AM PDT

While I have never used the device, At&t is offering the Pantech Breeze II at a very low price w/ a new 2 year contract. The phone does not require any additional data features (at an additional cost) and is a quad-band device.

Hope that is helpful.

Collapse -
by wrkivan / October 24, 2010 9:02 PM PDT

Nowadays the features you don't want from your phone are something usual. Every manufacturer implement some basic features to the phones they make. You can check Nokia phones. They have some good basic phones.

Collapse -
really??
by birdmantd Forum moderator / October 25, 2010 3:03 AM PDT

You realize that the original post is almost 4 years old?? Probably too late to offer the original poster advice now.

Collapse -
really, really!
by wrkivan / October 25, 2010 4:19 PM PDT
In reply to: really??

Yeah I saw but I also saw it was updated yesterday Wink

Collapse -
Re: I just want a phone......
by AshleyStern / October 27, 2010 7:46 PM PDT

Go for a cdma a mobile.

Collapse -
Hi
by devisdavis / December 2, 2010 1:19 AM PST

Hi friends,

I have recently bought WIFI 4GS Quad Band Dual Cards with Wifi Java Touch Screen Cell Phone and I am really happy with this phone. So I can't stop myself to share the information about the amazing features of this device with you people. It is an affordable yet comprehensible device designed with simplicity. The 3.2 inch high definition touch screen is great for watching videos and flicking through photos. It's slim, light and a very stylish handset. I am providing you with the link to see its picture http://www.davismicro.com/products/product_23748.htm . It works smoothly. It supports JAVA through which you can download some other applications to enjoy. One year warranty is also provided by the company.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.