Linux forum

Question

I just installed Ubuntu 11.10 How do I bring up my CD?

by stuartkoch / February 29, 2012 7:02 PM PST

I need to use a CD to connect to the internet, and can't find any way to bring up the CD.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I just installed Ubuntu 11.10 How do I bring up my CD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I just installed Ubuntu 11.10 How do I bring up my CD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
More information please
by arochester / February 29, 2012 8:39 PM PST

Tell us more about the CD and connecting to the Internet...

Is it a Microsoft Windows CD to set up your router? If it is, you may need to set up the router manually yourself. That's not as hard as it sounds. If you Google the make and model of your router you will find out how to communicate with it through a browser. I have a Thomson 585 v7. I can communicate with it by putting in the address bar of the browser: http://192.168.1.254. This can vary from one router to another. I just add username and password and it works.

Alternatively you might find that your ISP (Internet Service Provider) gives instructions on their web page about manually connecting.

Collapse -
(NT) I just installed Ubuntu 11.10 How do I bring up my CD?
by stuartkoch / February 29, 2012 10:42 PM PST

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
by stuartkoch / February 29, 2012 10:40 PM PST

Actually, what I need to do is just bring up the CD , any CD. I would be needing to use a CD that would install a Wifi connection, but I can't find any way to bring up the CD drive. In windows, I would have gone to MY COMPUTER and the CD player with the CD would have had an icon there, but I am not finding anything like that, or any way to bring up my CD player. That is what I need, is to know if there is a button in Ubuntu to press to do that, or if maybe I have to install my CD player. Thank you so much for responding!

Collapse -
Here, all I ever needed to do was
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 29, 2012 11:04 PM PST

Insert the CD that I wanted to read.

Unless the CD was in, no icon to open its contents.

Windows is different about that. You have this icon for the CD even if there is no CD in the drive! It's debatable if that's right or wrong but let's skip that discussion.

Review http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1026357
Bob

Collapse -
File Manager
by arochester / March 1, 2012 12:55 AM PST

The CD (when in) should appear in Nautilus File Manager.

There are one or two "oddities". You can't play MP3s unless you install: ubuntu-restricted-extras. You can't play encrypted DVDs unless you install decoders e.g. : libdvdcss2

Collapse -
WiFi
by arochester / March 1, 2012 1:01 AM PST
In reply to: File Manager

" I would be needing to use a CD that would install a Wifi connection"

Collapse -
I think I am making progress !!
by stuartkoch / March 1, 2012 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: WiFi

Will installing Linux own connections, either Network Manager, or wicd make connection to the device I am needing to use? It is a Ralink Wireless that apparently is inside a large flat screen, enclosed antenna that a guy on Ebay sells. The antenna works on Windows, but every so often I get a blue screen and have to restart the computer. That is mainly why I am trying to go to Ubuntu. The CD I am trying to use is labeled 802.111 USB adapter, and is a printed CD so it probably is produced commercially and not just one that the guy who sells the antennas has made himself. I hope to hear from you about the useability of the programs above, and I will wait awhile before I try installing one of them. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
by stuartkoch / March 1, 2012 1:41 AM PST

I must be getting closer! And I thank you. Now, how do I find Nautilus File Manager? I am brand new to Ubuntu, and the icons that show on my desktop just don't have anything like that that I can find. By the way, the CD Rom on this computer does work using Windows, and when I put a CD in now that I am using Ubuntu, it lights up, makes the sound like it is moving, but somehow accessing it from there seems to be my problem. When I open the CD door, the disc is always moving, and slowing down as I open the door. Hope some of this helps, and thank you for all your help!

Collapse -
Sounds like a friend's issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2012 2:02 AM PST

They had ONE CD that did that. In the end we figured out they had used some drag to CD burning software and that's why it never showed up on Linux or my laptop. I offered a normal single closed session CD and it showed up.
Bob

Collapse -
I seem to be making progress !
by stuartkoch / March 1, 2012 4:11 AM PST

Now when I put the CD in, it does bring up an icon at the bottom of the others on my desktop. When I click on it, it brings up a page that has 3 options. They are Auto Play, autorun.exe and autorun.inf When I click on auto play, it brings up another box that has ten options...they are audio, buttons, docs, flash, icons , images, plugins, scripts, videos, and autorun.cdd. If any of this makes sense to anyone, I would sure appreciate help !! The autorun.exe and autorun.inf buttons both wind up as error messages.

Collapse -
Re: CD
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 1, 2012 4:19 AM PST

Are you sure that the CD contains Linux compatible software? This seems like a CD that's only suitable for Windows.
Seems to me you need to install a Linux driver to get your wireless card working, not a Windows driver.

Kees

Collapse -
The CD is supposed to have Linux compatible, but it may not
by stuartkoch / March 1, 2012 5:56 AM PST
In reply to: Re: CD

I am going to take the computer and CD out to the local college night class this evening, and let them play with it.. They have an instructor and some of the students who have Linux experience. We will see what they come up with. Should be interesting, anyway. I will let you know what they find, if anything.

Collapse -
CD for WIFI
by blaineclrk / March 3, 2012 10:29 PM PST

You've got a CD containing the MS based program to load the WIFI software and driver files. MS programs won't work in Linux, except through the WINE emulator and even that won't allow your Linux command base access to the driver either. Have you tried opening your network connection icon and seeing what's shown for available connections? If you don't know what your connection icon is, then click System > Administration > Network Tools and see what's listed. I'm using 10.04 so there might be some difference with the menu steps.
If there are no devices shown, the most direct method to determine if there is a Linux driver available would be to contact the company that made your WIFI hardware and ask them about it. Next step is this page; http://www.linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers and find out if your model is listed and if it is in stable working development as far as a driver goes. I see 7 models listed, so here's hoping yours is one of them and that it's stable and compatible.
You might want to try Mint if that fails. Linux Mint has some alternate repositories that might just have the driver that you need, but since Mint is based on Ubuntu, that's probably a very long shot.
For another option, get into the Linux.com forums and find a forum thread for WIFI or Internet Connectivity and start asking questions there. It's a broad group and there's a good chance someone else has encountered this problem with Ralink and hopefully has a solution.
Keep tabs on your college user group because there is a learning curve with Linux when you jump from MS. Take it slow and easy, ask for help, take notes and above all, be patient. It will be worth it. And what you learn along the way will help you with MS too as you learn more about how computers work.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.