Computer Newbies forum

I hooked up my laptop to tv, watched one show now have probs

by airmac49 / January 29, 2013 8:01 AM PST

I have Dell latitude laptop and a Samsung flat screen tv. Hooked it up and it worked great for one show, Star trek voyager off the net. Went to another episode, but it said the settings were wrong. Went to display in control panel and fiddled around. Now I get the wallpaper, but not the desktop. I click on extend to second monitor, but the apply button is dark. I click ok and nothing happens and when I go back to display/settings, it's back to first monitor. How do I get this working again?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I hooked up my laptop to tv, watched one show now have probs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I hooked up my laptop to tv, watched one show now have probs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Try System Restore
by wpgwpg / January 29, 2013 8:21 AM PST

I can't give you details because you didn't say what version of Windows you have, but you should be able to use System Restore to go back a day or so prior to the problem.

Good luck.

Collapse -
try sys restore
by airmac49 / January 29, 2013 10:02 AM PST
In reply to: Try System Restore

I have windows xp. I've never had much luck with system restore. And I never changed the setting between it working and not working. I can't remember the exact message, but it was something about like the dpi settings or maybe refresh rate, but can't find any working places that change those. They're in advanced settings in display but drop down boxes are empty. Thanks Happy

Collapse -
It worked at least for now.
by airmac49 / January 29, 2013 10:19 AM PST
In reply to: try sys restore

I gave the system restore a try and it appears to have worked. We'll see if it keeps going. thanks a lot Happy

Collapse -
used sys restore
by airmac49 / January 29, 2013 11:36 AM PST
In reply to: Try System Restore

Again it started out ok, but then goes black. Sound still comes through my sound system and picture is on the laptop monitor. This time I caught part of the message, it said "Mode not supported". I don't get it. If mode is not supported, then how come I can watch part or all of a show, then suddenly not? I tried again on the display settings, Managed to make icons larger etc and and big smear on the tv of the wall paper. frustrated.

Collapse -
Mode not supported ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 29, 2013 1:04 PM PST
In reply to: used sys restore

generally indicates that you need to check that your tv is on the correct input or the aspect ratio is wrong. Easiest way to check, turn on your cable box then using your TV remote press the TV VIDEO/SOURCE/INPUT/YPbPr/AUX button...go through the input list an see if you get a picture. You also NEED to ensure your TV is set to the normal aspect ratio as a monitor.

Also make sure that you set the PC to output a supported resolution for the TV. For testing purposes set resolution to 1024 x 768 (see your owners manual for a complete list of resolutions supported by your TV) and the refresh rate to 60 Hertz.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.