Windows 8 forum

I have windows 8 and find I can not copy and paste URLs

by art07 / October 11, 2013 10:54 AM PDT

I have windows 8 - I had created a doc on facebook and find that I can not paste URLs into this document.

I have tried using Google Chrome, Internet Explorer 8 and now Firefox.

I could not find any help on this issue anywhere, read oodles of help files but nothing on this subject.
eventually I managed to copy on all 3 servers but I could not paste into my document using any of them.

I have now got it to work on Firefox (after several goes)but Google Chrome is my main server (it works better for the things I do), and I believe it is a W8 issue, so does anyone know how to paste URLs using W8? thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I have windows 8 and find I can not copy and paste URLs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I have windows 8 and find I can not copy and paste URLs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I've been using Windows 8 since Feb. 2012...
by wpgwpg / October 11, 2013 11:03 AM PDT

...and haven't seen this problem with IE, Chrome, or Firefox. You say you're trying to paste into a document; what kind of document? Notepad, Wordpad, Word, LibreOffice, Wordperfect, what? Are you running in Metro (aka Modern) mode or desktop? If not desktop, get Classic Start from and stay away from Metro mode. It's buggy and most folks have found it very unproductive.

Collapse -
by art07 / October 11, 2013 10:40 PM PDT

Hi there, thanks for answering. It is a document on face book - I am an administrator in one of the games groups and we are trying to collect the links to designs in a competition we are running. I copy the link from the URL bar but when I go to the document and right click or even control V. it will not work. nothing comes up in the drop down menu that gives me the option to paste.

I do not know what Metro is. I don't go into Facebook via my desktop but from Google chrome.

I tried pasting the links into a word document, which I was able to do but then I could not copy and paste the word doc into the fb group document.

I have not had this problem before with W7. I am wondering if it is some security function on W8?

thanks for any advice you can provide.

Collapse -
Same problem
by AceWannabee / January 12, 2014 4:21 PM PST
In reply to: clarification

We are trying to copy & paste from a webpage to a Word doc for instance. Win8.1, Explorer11 and Chrome, Word2003.

We like keyboard shortcuts. Ctrl-c-Ctrl-v does not work but the less convenient ctrl-delete and ctrl-insert, or right-clicking through the mouse do work.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2014 1:05 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem
Collapse -
need more help
by art07 / January 13, 2014 5:00 AM PST

Hi, everyone, thanks for replying to the question. R.Proffitt, your answer should help AceWannabee, but does anyone have an answer to the original query??

re- copy and pasting to a facebook document??

Collapse -
Ahh, the perils of posting in someone else's thread.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2014 5:07 AM PST
In reply to: need more help

Let's hope someone answers but here at the office I happen have Windows 8 (stock) and Word 2003 with the all important Office SP3. If you don't have the SP3 for Office your nights will be far too short as you experience all sorts of weird problems.

OK. As I noted. I'll start Word 2003 SP3.
Now I'll copy some URL, switch to Word 2003 and viola! It pasted just fine.

Keep in mind I did the order as noted and know that those antivirus suites with "privacy protection" do interfere so I don't have that issue here.

If you don't have Office 2003 SP3 then I can't offer to test this.

All Answers

Collapse -
further to clarification question
by art07 / October 11, 2013 10:43 PM PDT

Hi, I should also say, I do not know what kind of doc it is - it is a service that FB provides to groups. they can create docs, files etc to store information pertinent to that group and share with other similar groups if they want to or keep private.

thank you for your help

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.