Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Photo Editing & Graphic Design

General discussion

I have too much photo software

by sewut / September 27, 2008 8:08 AM PDT

I want to consolidate my pictures and back them up.

Currently, I have Kodak Easyshare software with about 800 photos, all captioned. I tried to burn a CD but couldn't get the captions to copy onto the disc, only the images (I confirmed this limitation thru chat with Kodak Easyshare online chat). Camera broke so won't be adding more Kodak photos.

I just bought a Canon camera. I haven't loaded the Canon software yet and expect it is unnecessary

In addition, I have, somehow, photos on HP Photosmart Premier and Microsoft Office Picture Manager.

I have just downloaded Windows Live Photo Gallery freeware.

What does this newby do? As stated above, 1) I want to have all my photos under one whatever; 2)I want to back up all the photos and captions and albums; and, 3) I don't want to have to recaption the kodak photos again.

BTW, I have all this on a Compaq Presario laptop.

Thanks much.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I have too much photo software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I have too much photo software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Photo location.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 28, 2008 5:23 AM PDT

Hi sewut.

I assume you are using Windows XP or Windows Vista. You didn't say.

It looks like you think that each software stores your photos somewhere. That is not normally the case. Your photos are stored in a folder on your computer, wherever you saved them to.

The software you use just accesses that folder, (or those folders if you use different ones), to make their own list of photos, something like a media player's Playlist of mp3 tracks. The playlist is just a list. The mp3 tracks could be anywhere on the computer.

In Windows XP the operating System normally defaults saving image files to your "My Pictures" folder, accessible through your My Documents folder. Have a look in there.

I can't help you with the captions. This seems to be an option used specifically by Kodak in their software created playlists. As long as you keep that Kodak software installed, then you will be able to create/amend/delete captions for your photos. I am surprised that Kodak say the playlist cannot be exported though.

Mark

Collapse -
Photo location
by sewut / September 29, 2008 10:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Photo location.

You're right, I have XP.

You said all the photos were stored in one place, My Pictures, and accessed by the different photo softwares I have on the laptop. The Kodak photos do not appear in the My Pictures folder. Somehow, though, I've gotten them to appear on Windows Live along with all the other photos.

I'm thinking Windows Live is the place I'll start putting everything. Just because. Maybe it is longer lived, will have good support, etc. Will Windows Live let me make captions (new ones since the Kodak ones can't be exported, it seems)? Can I back up all with the captions onto CD's or wherever you're supposed to back things up?

During all this fiddling around, the massive amount of scanning I did last year of all my sewing patterns that WAS in one of the HP softwares has disappeared.

Lisa

Collapse -
No to both...
by John.Wilkinson / September 30, 2008 12:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Photo location

Windows Live Photo Gallery, like most other photo managers, is focused on tagging. While captions usually involve full sentences about the picture, useful for those reliving old memories, tagging is where you write just key words, separated by commas or semicolons, about the photo to make it easier to find/sort them in the future.

Caption: Mark, his wife, and seven children at Disney World in May, 2008. Little Timmy lost it on the roller coaster. Happy
Tags: Disney World, Little Timmy, roller coaster, vacation, trip, Mark, 2008, May

Then you'll see categories appear, named for those tags. If you click on, say, vacation, you'll see all photos marked with the Vacation tag, or select 2008 to view all photos taken in 2008. It's quite a different approach and your choice depends on our specific desires.

John

Collapse -
Then what...
by sewut / September 30, 2008 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: No to both...

So is there a photo software with caption capability that can back up photos and captions on a disc?

I would think captioning, to "relive old memories" as you say, would be something most users of the nontechie variety would want.

The low tech work around I can think of is to have a Word file with captions that is indexed (numerically??) to the photos. How unfriendly, though, you know?

BTW, if it isn't obvious, I'm less knowledgeable about technical things than probably 95% of the users of cnet.

Lisa

Collapse -
Actually...yes to both
by ogstuffedhotdog / July 20, 2009 7:26 PM PDT
In reply to: No to both...

Sorry about the necropost, but Windows Live Photo Gallery does have a caption you can add to the photo. It is in the middle of the right side bar. If the side bar is not there, click on the Info tab at the top. WLPG saves it's tags and captions as metadata, so they are saved with the file. I don't know if the caption feature was recently added or updated, but it's there.

Collapse -
It's not a key feature, but...
by John.Wilkinson / September 30, 2008 2:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Photo location

Google's free application Picasa has that functionality. It will automatically import all of your pictures (it may take a while but you can work while it scans) and then let you add captions for both folders of pictures as well as individual pictures. The captions are not prominently displayed, but they're there...you'll want to go View->Thumbnail Caption->Caption to make it a little more prominent. Picasa automatically adds your captions as comments to the actual picture file so they'll exist outside of Picasa should you decide to use another manager in the future, but unfortunately it cannot import from Kodak. Hopefully you didn't put too much time into those original captions...

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
love at first site
by sewut / October 1, 2008 1:42 AM PDT

Great info, thanks. I've just checked on Picasa and I think it will suit my needs well. As soon as I saw "Picasa creates captions the way journalists do - using the IPTC standard. That
means your captions are saved along with the photos and stay with them," I knew it was the one. Love at first site?

On one of my regular chat hangouts, all the Europeans use Picasa.

Anyway, I've got some work ahead of me but expect that I'll be happy with the results of transferring (and doing some rewriting) all to Picasa.

Thanks again.

Lisa in Campbell CA

Collapse -
+1 On Picasa
by not2worried / November 4, 2008 11:14 PM PST

Its a pretty good program!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.