Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Computer Newbies

General discussion

I have Sound but no Picture on my DVD Player, Can u help?

by bethydy / October 4, 2004 10:49 PM PDT

Hello, I am a novice at this, I have just bought and installed a Benq cb482b DVD/CD rom combo player. When I put my DVD in all I get is sound but no picture! I am using windvd.4 which came with the unit. I downloaded all the 3rd party programmes as well such as directX and aspi. I can play VCDs in Media Player using this new drive but not in windvd..I hope someone can give me an idea if I might have overlooked something..I am using windows 98..Thanks so much Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I have Sound but no Picture on my DVD Player, Can u help?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I have Sound but no Picture on my DVD Player, Can u help?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: I have Sound but no Picture on my DVD Player, Can u help
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2004 11:00 PM PDT

"Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution."

You didn't tell what video card you have, the driver version for that card and that could be it.

Bob

Collapse -
by bethydy / October 5, 2004 3:58 AM PDT

Thanks Bob..I am hopeless aren't I LOL..I have a SIS 620..not sure what the driver for this is..My computer is pretty old..Acer Aspire, 1999 so its getting on..windows 98 SE is what I run..I tried to d/load updated drivers from the sis site but to be quite honest I didn't quite know what I was looking for or doing to be honest, anyhow, they didn't seem to work, LOL..I had supervision putting the dvd combo in so I am quite sure there is nothing out of order there, they should have stuck around though to see if it worked!!! Another thing too is I can get screen captures when I play the DVD, don't know if this means anything, just cant watch the darn DVD!! Thankyou so much.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2004 4:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Willy / October 4, 2004 11:36 PM PDT

Look for the key sequence that puts the media player to use "full screen". Your monitor resolution and/or setting may not reflect what works well using DVD, so check if any "updates" are present for your video card. Though it not be the problem its proper to check for that, regardless.

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by bethydy / October 5, 2004 4:02 AM PDT

Thanks Willy Happy I checked for updates but as I mentioned to Bob I didn't really know what I was doing and they didn't seem to work..I may have to resort to paying a technician to come around and check it out..boy I wish I knew more..I thought it would be so simple..plug and play! Well it prob should be simple..aargh I need a newer computer I think!!
Thanks for your advice!

Collapse -
by bethydy / October 5, 2004 4:22 AM PDT

Yayyy..I got it..silly me didn't have the settings right in the screen area..i had to adjust so you were right Willy!! Thankyou both so much..this has taken me two days to figure out Sad but I got there and am so happy I found this site Happy Cheers!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.