Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

I have lost all my pictures! Help

by alb573 / August 7, 2005 3:43 PM PDT

Ok, Im kinda a newbie. I have had a computer for about 5 years, but just know enough to turn it on. Anyhow I have a microsoft windows me, 4.90.3000, Pentium II processor, 125 mb ram.

I have kodak easyshare software downloaded on my c drive, my pics must be downloading to my d drive. I can view them on the software with thumbnails, but I get an error message stating that "The file may have been renamed or moved in your windows file system". when I click on them, And says that they are in my d drive.

I have had some recent acctivities that may have contributed, but I really am clueless.

1. Had computer worked on
2. New kodak camara
3. Recent windows updates downloaded.

I feel it may be the updates. I did some updates in january, I lost some pics then. I did some the other day, Lost more. But like I said, Im totally lost. Im trying to resolve this myself without a costly visit to my computer repairman.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, remember, I dont know much about computer lingo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I have lost all my pictures! Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I have lost all my pictures! Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / August 7, 2005 3:53 PM PDT

Search. Go start, find. Go to my computer, drive D, and look there. Going to repairman may not help because it may have been deleted or he can't find either.

Roger

Collapse -
did that :(
by alb573 / August 7, 2005 4:12 PM PDT
In reply to: RE:

Hi, I have tried that. I have done searches, and no luck. Its like its down deep somewhere, but I think if you can still observe the thumbnails, isnt it somewhere I should be able to get to?

Collapse -
Hmm not necessarily
by damasta55r / August 7, 2005 4:25 PM PDT
In reply to: did that :(

I created a shortcut to active desktop in my active taskbar and left the original on the desktop. When i deleted the original, the shortcut remained. So it could be well and gone already. If you searched the entire hard drive using the pciture name and can't be found, well its either deleted or became hidden through the properties of the picuters.

Roger

Collapse -
should I?
by alb573 / August 7, 2005 4:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Hmm not necessarily

Should I look into downloading something to find it then? And where do I go to do that>

Collapse -
Kodak has a default folder where the software
by glb613 / August 7, 2005 7:50 PM PDT
In reply to: should I?

downloads pictures. For older version of Easyshare it is found on the hard drive under the Kodak Picture folder. For newer versions, the folder is found in My Documents. Do you know how to use Windows Explorer? You can also do a search using .jpg and see what the computer finds.

I'm really surprised to hear your pictures are located on the D drive. Most older comptuers the hard drive is C and the CD-ROM drive is D. Are you sure you got the letters right?

Collapse -
no files found
by alb573 / August 8, 2005 7:48 AM PDT

Hi, when I do a search for .jpg nothing comes up but two pictures that are saved for some reason. All the others are gone. When you right click on the picture, it will give you a location on the d drive. I go to that location, and nothing.:(...

"I'm really surprised to hear your pictures are located on the D drive. Most older comptuers the hard drive is C and the CD-ROM drive is D. Are you sure you got the letters right? " Yes, this is the way the computer is. They are both hard drives.

I spent about 2 hours on the phone today with microsoft. They tried to help me find my pictures. She came to the conclusion that they are corrupt. So what is corrupting my computer, and how do I find out what it is. It could be a virus, but I did a scan and I did not find any. So I am clueless.

Im getting so frustrated at this point. It is just hard to believe they are totally gone, especially if I can see them in the thumbnails.

Collapse -
By Accident
by MKay / August 8, 2005 2:01 AM PDT

I found loads of pics I thought were gone... I typed PICTURES into search and many many came up Even ones I had deleted intenionally... Go figure...

Collapse -
wish it worked:(
by alb573 / August 8, 2005 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: By Accident

Hi, I tried that, nothing. wish that would have worked. thanks anyways,

Collapse -
Try IRFANVIEW.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2005 8:02 AM PDT

It's free from www.irfanview.com

I offer this since you can see the thumbnails and with IRFANVIEW you can use it to find all the pictures on C or D without having to repair the OS or the Kodak software.

-> In closing, I hope this spurs you to consider backup.

Bob

Collapse -
lost pictures
by glennlee / August 8, 2005 10:59 AM PDT

Here is something you can do with free software offered on the Google site. Download and run Picassa. It does an extensive survey of your entire computer, catalogs and displays snapshots of all photos it finds for you to browse. If this application does not find them, they are not there.

Collapse -
Picassa
by jdorisco / August 8, 2005 1:13 PM PDT
In reply to: lost pictures

As Glenlee stated earlier, if they're in your system Picassa will find them for you. If however they have been deleted and removed from the trash, you may still be able to recover any images which have not been overwritten. This will require a program such as "Restoration" which is free and downloadable from http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html
Good luck

Collapse -
thanks
by alb573 / August 9, 2005 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Picassa

Hi, thanks, I will be trying that. My father-in-Law is going to help me do it. Ill give an update soon. Thanks!!!

Collapse -
thanks
by alb573 / August 9, 2005 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Picassa

Hi, thanks, I will be trying that. My father-in-Law is going to help me do it. Ill give an update soon. Thanks!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.