Computer Help forum

Question

I have lost about 70 Gb's of my free space on my C:\ drive?

by curt07 / November 7, 2012 6:58 AM PST

Hello I did not know where to ask so I thought this would be the best place to ask. Each day on my Vista home premium 32 bite computer I would see the free space go down 10 Gb's a day. So after about 10 days of seeing it go down i thought I better try and find out why. I opened up media center and saw it was recording a TV show. So stopped it. And I never really dug down deep into the media center. I just always used it just to wahtch TV shows that played right then. So I found all the TV shows that were recorded and i just thought by deleting each Tv show i would get my free space back. but i just deleted the show but not the data that was recorded. I did not know I had to open each TV show and then select delete the recorded Tv show. So know the shows are gone but the recorded TV shows are still on my C:\ drive and I don't know where to look to find each TV show's file and delete them all?? Please some one help me find where to lok and give me step by step instructions on where to llok so i can get my free space back?? Thanks to any and all help!?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I have lost about 70 Gb's of my free space on my C:\ drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I have lost about 70 Gb's of my free space on my C:\ drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Doesn't Search have a feature to find files newer than date?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2012 7:20 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks for the link to use how to find files, THX
by curt07 / November 7, 2012 1:48 PM PST

Thanks for the link I have not tried it yet but I noticed it was written when vista was SP1. and now I have SP2. I hope that window opens up when I hit F3. I'll let you know. But how do I tell if the files that are found are the TV shows i need to delete ? how do i tell the files apart, will then have a video extension at the end of the files I need to find?? since I need to find and delete 60 to 70 Gb's of data?? Thanks for any more input on these ?'s. thx for all the help

Collapse -
Sorry but this is basic Windows stuff.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2012 2:11 PM PST

You would see the file, right click for more details and to delete, click on it once then tap the delete key.

Sorry but this is basic stuff. I don't want to offend you but how did you get this far without the basics?
Bob

Collapse -
To BOB thanks for the bad reply. At least you could have
by curt07 / November 8, 2012 4:55 AM PST

TO BOB, thanks for no good information reply to my ?'s. If you know so much where do i look for all the TV shows to delete so i can get my free space back.?? I have looked every where i could think of by opening up any files that had a video file, But then it say's its empty. I tried the F3 and it does not open up the window he said it would where I could search dates and then all those file will open would open up!! So where do i look on C:\ drive to get my free space back?? Thx for any and all answers??

Collapse -
You say you found the file to open up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 5:16 AM PST

And in that same Explorer search we can find what folder it's in as well as delete the file.

I fear you may need so one on one PC training if the basics can't be conveyed here. That is, how to find the file, how to delete was covered. Yet you found the file but didn't delete them?

Don't worry. Folk are in need of basic windows skills all over. There are classes, books and more for when the short answers fail.
Bob

Collapse -
Itried you why to look foe files but on SP2 your pic's dont
by curt07 / November 9, 2012 4:33 AM PST

Hello i tried your way to find what days new files were downloaded but that was using vista sp1, but on SP2 that nice window that I saw on your link does not come up now and I have search all over on how to open advance serach and theres no button to selet it or now where else show where i can open up advanced serach . Do you have any other howtogeek.com on how to find files that were download between certain dates?? for vista home premium 32 bite computer?? That foe any and all help. because I'm down to just 91Bs' free space now and i was ai 120Gb's just the other day. And Imade sure there whwere no tv show being recored like I found last time but I did not delete each and every tv show correctly so i just delete the likn to open the show but now i can see the tv shows to open up ecah one then do the delete for each tv show. but theres something else now that is recoreding files or folders because I went from 120Gb's free space and anow just 3 days later I'm down to 91Gb's.And for a very long time i never doenloaded any thing and I have stayed at 216 Gb's of free space so i have loat of ree space. Can you please help to figure out why my computer is download files or folders now and has never did befor?? thanks for any and all help??

Collapse -
Answer
Not sure on Vista
by volvogirl / November 7, 2012 1:31 PM PST

But after you delete them, then don't you have to empty the recycle bin?

Collapse -
Yes i have emptied the recycle bin since then!
by curt07 / November 7, 2012 1:56 PM PST
In reply to: Not sure on Vista

Like I said I did not know what I was doing when I was deleting the TV shows. I was just deleting the link to open up to watch the shows. So since then I found out I needed then to open up the TV shows one at a time and then right click to open the settings and use the delete button for each show. So now I deleted the only way to get to the shows to do that on the MIDIA CENTER site.
So I need to know how and where do I look for all the files or folders for each TV show thats still on my C: harddrive

Collapse -
I was just at 120Gb's space & now 2 days later I'm @ 91Gb
by curt07 / November 9, 2012 4:17 AM PST

Somethis is going on whit my Vista home premium computer, i have has this computer for 5 yrs and nothin like this has ever happened. On my last post is was at 120Gb"s free space and to day i ck it and its down to 91Gb's of free space. So theres some thing recording files or whole folder. I cked window medita center and there no videos recorded in the last few days. So I really am stuck on why my compter is using up all my free space. How do i find whats do ing all this downloading and where do i find the area to look into so i can delete the files that have recording on them?? I need some help here?? Plaese help me to find out why my computer is recording files or folders and where to look for them?? Thanks for all the help.

Collapse -
Me too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2012 4:21 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.