Computer Help forum

General discussion

I have little insects (BUGS) crawling out of my laptop

by jlcue91 / July 12, 2007 11:12 AM PDT

I like to play W.O.W on my laptop outside and have picked up some little guests , they crawl out of my keyboard and my screen , they are about the size of a pinhead and there are dozens of them , how do I get rid of them , they don't seem to be hurting my componants so far but they are anoying . is there a way to fumagate a laptop without hurting it or some other way to get rid of these little monsters . please help .

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I have little insects (BUGS) crawling out of my laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I have little insects (BUGS) crawling out of my laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's trry...
by Willy / July 12, 2007 1:22 PM PDT

Place laptop in strong plastic bag. Place into empty can or container some moth balls. Seal bag and wait for a day if not longer, at least 24hrs., then check laptop. Repeat if necessary or spray abit of bug spray onto cloth then place in bag, wait 24hrs.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by jackson dougless / July 12, 2007 1:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Let's trry...

If you do that, you're going to have a bunch of bug carcases inside the computer. That could be rather bad. Not to mention some of the chemicals in the bug spray could bond to the laptop circuitry and cause problems.

What I would do, is try calling a state university's entomology department. Most probably have some kind of hotline you can call about bug problems. They can consult with the resident IT person if need be.

Collapse -
by Willy / July 12, 2007 10:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Ummmm...

If live bugs haven't caused a problem, then dead ones won't either. As for smell, sometimes the cure has to taken into account, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. A side benefit if you like the continued presence of bug spray will deter some future bugs. You can use a gas, but most people don't have access to "gases". Get help from an university is very time consuming if they answer back at all or suggest a cost. But, knowing what bug is present will help if possible to reduce future afflictions if the human(s) attributes to the bugs presence(like eating or working in buggy areas).

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Not necessarily
by jackson dougless / July 13, 2007 12:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Prevention

Bugs walking around, and bug carcases decaying inside a system are two very different things. Do you know what kind of chemical compounds will be created by the bacteria living in these insects starts to break down the body? No? Neither do I. Not to mention the damage that could be done by some pesticide to the electronics. Suppose, just for a moment, one of the compounds is electrically conductive enough it creates a bridge between data pathways on the motherboard. It could basically ruin the laptop until you find and remove the bridge, which would be near impossible without special tools.

And personally, I'd prefer to get the help of experts on bugs, rather than just charge in and potentially ruin my laptop. The best thing you could do, is take the laptop apart and used some compressed air to blow the bugs out. But I'm sure people in a university entomology department would have plenty more ideas. I know when I worked at a University, it had one of the bigger entomology departments in the country, and it was only about 150 people or so. When I'd fill in for a colleague there, they'd have two people who did little more than answer people's questions about bugs over the phone all day. One had a PhD, the other was a PhD candidate.

So if like the 4th largest entomology department in the nation can usually manage to get back to people within a day or so, I don't really see that as being terribly time consuming. I would also see it as quite prudent, given the cost of a new laptop should foolhardy actions result in the destruction of the current one.

Collapse -
No time...
by Willy / July 13, 2007 5:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Not necessarily

I've been in the jungles, beaches, wet&moldy areas, the arctic and near food stuffs, the whole 9yds., where insects/spiders of all kinds present problems. I know enuff that waiting isn't an answer and proceed forward with items at hand does well. If a bug decides to decay inside the system, well we'll fix that too. All too often time is critical and waiting again doesn't help. Any human insect repelant is fine for computer usage. Of course, some cures maybe harmful but not enough to the computer but more to the user. This isn't a pissing contest and I know my cure(s) will work and have for a long time.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Have you tried a vacuum?
by Edward ODaniel / July 13, 2007 4:28 AM PDT

You might also consider avoiding further computing in the location from which you picked up the critters.

Collapse -
computer insects
by suzyorth / July 13, 2007 1:20 PM PDT

I'm a horticulturist/entomology employee of the University of Wisconsin Extension. I can't imagine how so many critters could have infested your computer while you were using it. I suspect they may have crawled in which the computer was unattended, and maybe just because it was warm inside.

As to how to send them packing ... it really is critical to ID them first. If you're lucky, there may be a way to bait them to come out and go from there. If not ... you should contact your county extension office for more info. A link to Extension offices in the US:

Good luck!
Soozie Cue

Collapse -
Re: Get rid of these little monsters
by NickMorgan / July 13, 2007 1:57 PM PDT

Put it in a good plastic garbage bag and seal it up very well. Wait a week and take it out and use a can of compressed air and a dust buster to remove the dead bugs. Go over the unit several times to make sure you get out as much bugs as you can.

Collapse -
Bugs Inside Laptop
by tomscnet / July 13, 2007 8:09 PM PDT

Quote from Mike>>Put it in a good plastic garbage bag and seal it up very well. Wait a week and take it out and use a can of compressed air and a dust buster to remove the dead bugs. Go over the unit several times to make sure you get out as much bugs as you can.

I agree with this fix, it does work!

Collapse -
by bosston / July 14, 2007 12:52 AM PDT

Do you have a bugs around your house or apartment? I would check around your house or apartment also.

Collapse -
by Baton Rouge LA / July 14, 2007 3:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Bugs.

Try to vacuum them out before you try the other solutions.

Collapse -
crazy idea maybe???
by dis disley / July 14, 2007 3:29 AM PDT

try cooling laptop,completely seal in a bag,put it in the freezer for day or two-take out dry it out before switching on-of course i myself have never tried this,but it seems to me that you might damage it anyway bugs or no bugs -freeze them or threaten to freeze them if they wont leave -it's up to you?

Collapse -
freezer is too cold
by scott_789 / July 14, 2007 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: crazy idea maybe???

my manual says not below 0C (32F). Refridgerator may be ok but condensation may be a problem (especially if in a humid area) when notebook warms back up.

Sounds like to me that it really needs to be disassembled as much as possible and cleaned with compressed air.

Collapse -
I think those numbers are operating temps
by hortnut / July 14, 2007 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: freezer is too cold

Good point, but below is my experience:

I run a nursery and though I have yet to experience such an infestation - I do have several computers in various greenhouses that over the year range from -10 degrees to 120+ degrees. None have had any problems due to temps while stored.

Though I do NOT operate them at the extreme temps - they are just there and I only operate them within manufacturer's' specs. Once I did have an old Sharp Z-50 copier out in one of them and the High Humidity messed with the Toner - it would not copy correctly. Same was true with a printer [bubble jet], though the Panasonic Dot Matrix's worked fine.

Collapse -
Little pests make little nests
by nomind / July 15, 2007 12:43 PM PDT

I would strongly recommend that you remove the power source both adaptor and battery place it in a large plastic bag and drop in moth balls let it sit for a day or two and then blow it out with some type of electronics areosol. dry air. next best suggestion is get it to a professional and make sure it is in a sealed plastic bag when you do.

Collapse -
reply to: I have little insects (BUGS) crawling out of my la
by grayfrier / July 15, 2007 5:33 PM PDT

Take your laptop to a credited extermanator supply they should be able to not only ID your guests but also tell you how to not only remove them but prevent reinfastation in the future.

Collapse -
I had the same problem with a Rolex wrist watch
by peter marsh / July 15, 2007 7:08 PM PDT

I am an antique and vintage watch restorer and almost unbelievably came across some tiny insects inside the mechanism of a lady's Rolex wrist watch sent to me for repair. I discovered these to be Thrips (more commonly known as thunder flies). I contacted an expert and believe the enclosed link might prove useful in identification, information and a possible solution to the problem....
Good luck.

Collapse -
by kbhfrog / December 2, 2008 10:32 AM PST

Not a thrip. Long legs. Teardrop shaped body.

Collapse -
by batman823 / July 15, 2007 11:03 PM PDT

Buy a can of CO2. Some of the 'compressed air' for computers is CO2 or N2. The CO2 will starve the bugs of air. You may be able to coax them out by spraying co2 into the computer. But the bag theory may work better. The dead bugs won't rot and cause it to smell or anything. If they're living in there, that means they're eating something in there or they're hatching. Either way, they need to come out. They're likely feeding on the silicon or rubber coating of the wires. That can lead to your laptop becoming a paperweight.

If you have $50 or so to spare, just take the laptop to a CPU repair shop. They can easily open it up without damaging your laptop. They should be able to clean it out and have it back to you in the same day. It should cost very little as opposed to buying a new laptop and losing all your data.

Collapse -
Bugs elsewhere make me happy...Bugs in my Laptop make me sad
by Solar132 / July 16, 2007 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: CO2

That's a new version ^^ of an Old John Denver tune......

I have enginieering experience in designing military things that fly.
i.e. hot/cold extremes, pressure changes, extremely strong sunlight at high altitude, etc.......

They can be stored outdoors in hot, cold, humid, salty air, and high shock conditions. I would put the computer into a 32 gallon trash bag. I would crunch the bag down to reduce its volume. Then I would put several reasonably fresh desicant packs into the bag and wait 1 full day. (get the water out) Next I would put a short shelf/ support in the bag so the laptop is off of the floor or table top. Last I would put a large chunk of dry ice under the support but NOT touching the computer or the shelf.... By the time the bag is fully inflated you should be done, but at least 12hrs - hardshelled bugs can go dormant to survive winter temperatures etc. TAKE THE BAG OUTSIDE to open it -- 32 gallons of CO2 in a small room is a direct threat to us softshells.

PS Dgital chips come in consumer (0C to ~ 60C), automotive (-10C to ~ 90C) and military grades (-60C to 100C) for operating temperature.
Mil grade parts are REALLY expensive.......

Collapse -
good idea
by batman823 / July 16, 2007 9:35 PM PDT

with the dry ice in the bag. you can get dry ice at most large grocery stores, you just have to ask a manager or somebody for it.

Collapse -
dust mite?
by kbhfrog / December 2, 2008 10:30 AM PST

my daughter (8) informed me that there were bugs on my computer and that she had noticed them on my friends computer as well, which prompted her to check mine. Seriously, check your computers. Probably more common than you think. Very very small and not visable unless you are looking for them. Soooo, we captured one and put it under a microscope. Looks like a mite.
And they are actually in my/behind my screen too. Crawling. Someone must know about this!!!

Collapse -
Resmethrin (extract of Chysanthnum)
by cnot29 / March 22, 2010 12:06 PM PDT

low dose of resmethrin (you can get it from any common store) the low dose of resmethrin will repel rather than kill, thus removing the possiblity of insects being inside it. They will get out of there like their asses are on fire. Then all you have to worry about is eggs hatching later. IMO Sell it on ebay and cackle like a supervillian.

Collapse -
bugs in laptop
by nik0204 / May 12, 2011 12:44 AM PDT

did you ever find a solution to this?

Collapse -
(NT) Read The Thread Responses Yet? Please Do
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 12, 2011 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: bugs in laptop
Collapse -
I too have picked up bugs?
by pricepro8 / November 8, 2011 8:36 AM PST

I live in Florida and have the same exact bug/ bugs? I too work with my computer out on the porch, there are not too many yet, but was wondering if anyone gave you a solution that works? I believe they are attracted to the heat and have toyed with the idea of leaving it off, putting it in a plastic bag and or maybe in a refrigerator or freezer for a short time. Laptops can be in the cold to a certain degree without harming the components? these are all thoughts? did anyone give you a solid idea that works?

Collapse -
Bugs, one thing not to do.
by Rahamx / November 9, 2011 5:08 PM PST

I to have these little critters. I had read on a different forum to put laptop in a vacum sealed bag. You know the type, stick your clothes in it and then get your vacum cleaner and suck the air out thus making it small and easy to store. So i put my laptop in the bag, sucked the air out and waited a day for the little bugs to perish. The next day i opened the bag up and swithced her on. Oh dear! The screen had cracked in various places. She was busted. R.I.P. To be fair it was a very old laptop and on its last legs, but i killed her. So sad.. :o(
So my advice is dont try everything you read.

Collapse -
Does anyone have an update on what did work?
by karenleepatoo / May 14, 2012 1:46 AM PDT

I had cute little bugs in a keyboard once. It seemed like only a few and they were little tear-drop shaped with long antennae. They grew up into roaches! The office got rid of them by taking it apart and putting it in a bag with a dry insect repellent of some kind.

I've had a few on my laptop recently and need to do something. Not in the same office, I work from home now on my own business. We recently have had an influx of roaches in the apartment(happens when someone moves) and will be bombing in the next week. I'd like to know how to handle the laptop... I don't think i should leave it out for the bombing.

So if anyone has had success with any particular method, please update this thread. I think I'm going to try a regular plastic trash bag and remove as much oxygen as i can without crushing it and put it in the freezer overnight. I've used that method to protect sweaters from moths. i learned about it from a museum where they have a large walk in they put all visiting art to kill off any bugs that might be hitching a ride before it's installed. Freezing temps kill almost anything.

Looking forward to good reports. Cheers!

Collapse -
by belcourt12 / May 17, 2012 1:18 PM PDT

I got the same bugs in my laptop! I tought first that was pinheads and then i check my hair and I didn't find one in it I also did a treatment for dog flea on my dog and i still find them on my computer screen I wash and treat all my bedroom and still find them on my computer and then i saw one enter behind the screen that how i know that my laptop were infested of little insects I'm freaking out i don't know how to kill them And i think that they bit me!!

Collapse -
Left For Dead
by Stiff Paul / May 18, 2012 9:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Same

Now would be a good time to play the PC game Left for Dead...LOL!! Take Care! Paul

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.