Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

I have had 2 suspucious email in 2 months time

by DChrisL / July 6, 2013 7:33 AM PDT

One had my aunt and cousin's last name. That I deleted. Just recently, I got an email from DHL Shipping saying they could not deliver it on July 1 and it contained two hyperlinks and both were .zip's.
WinZip couldn't open either one, one had tracking info and the other was for the item. I uninstalled WinZip, checked files and folders, yup, one there and went into the registry and removed all in there. Restarted, used CCleaner 4.03 to clean it all out. Then reinstalled it from a flash drive. Darrell

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I have had 2 suspucious email in 2 months time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I have had 2 suspucious email in 2 months time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why did you try to open it?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / July 6, 2013 11:33 AM PDT

Posted in the news thread on March 13, 2012:

Express Shipment Notification emails contain malware

Have you received an email with the subject line "Express Shipment Notification"?

If so, be on your guard - you could be at risk of infecting your Windows computers.

Online criminals have spammed out a large number of messages, claiming to come from DHL Express International, that are designed to install malware onto the computers of unsuspecting PC users.

Here is what a typical example of an email spammed out in the attack looks like: [Screenshot]

DHL Express
Tracking Notification: 449762627

Custom Reference: 594078O440
Tracking Number: XFLNH94244
Pickup Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:39:03 +0100
Service: AIR
Pieces: 1

Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:39:03 +0100 - Processing complete successfully
Refer to attached report for full details.

Attached to the emails is a ZIP file, containing malware. The filename of the ZIP file can vary, but takes the form "DHL reportXXXXXX.zip" (where the 'X's are a random code).

Continued : http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/03/18/express-shipment-notification-emails-malware/

On March 20th from the same source:

A DHL delivery which is nothing but malware - Windows users warned of email attack

Just earlier this week, I warned about a malware attack that had been widely spammed out posing as a message from DHL Express International.

The trick, which is an old one, goes like this.

Cybercriminals spam out an email, with forged header information, tricking you into believing that it is from a shipping company like DHL or FedEx.

The email tells you that they tried to deliver a package to you, but failed for some reason. Sometimes the emails claim to be notifications of a shipment you have made.

Either way, you can't resist being curious as to what the email is referring to - and open the attached file (or click on a link embedded inside the email).

And with that, your computer is infected and under the control of malicious hackers who have just planted a Trojan horse on your computer.

Continued here: http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/03/20/dhl-delivery-malware/

In the future, I would suggest deleting it..

Collapse -
It was totally deleted and I ran 2 full scans
by DChrisL / July 10, 2013 12:48 AM PDT

with Super Antispyware and Malware Anti-Malwarebytes.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.