Laptops

General discussion

I have a question about the new Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

by Cyborganizer / February 16, 2007 11:12 AM PST

I am buying a laptop for school and nothing else. My most common programs are Firefox, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. I always upgrade the amount of ram because I run several screens of Microsoft Office simultaneously. I think 2 GB of ram should be enough. This information leads to my question. Will the standard 1.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor be powerful enough?

Once again I appreciate all of the help CNET provides.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I have a question about the new Intel Core 2 Duo processor.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I have a question about the new Intel Core 2 Duo processor.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Proccessing Power
by StargateFan / February 16, 2007 11:58 AM PST

This processor would give you the results you want. Meaning that it would be able to handle it, but it wouldn't be an impressive amount of power. With the upgraded amount of ram I would consider upgrading the processor to at least the next level, which I believe is 1.88GHz. However I know that ram is not cheap, and upgrading to 2GHz probably cost you, so taking a processor upgrade is going to add up with the upgraded ram will add up price wise. But if price isn't an issue I would consider upgrading the processor, with the amoutn of ram an upgraded procesor would be awesome, and just what you would need.

Collapse -
If you can't do both, do the RAM...
by 527nrhpd / February 16, 2007 11:12 PM PST
In reply to: Proccessing Power

I have a C2D laptop, and if given the choice, I'd trade my T7200 for a T5600 and 2GB of RAM....just me though....the ram is the only real bottleneck on this thing...the CPU doesn't run over 45% EVER! RAM on the other hand uses the page file a lot even at 1GB...sooooo, go with 2GB of RAM and the lower C2D if you must only go with one....you'll be happier in the end.

You may look at buying the thing with the lowest amount of RAM from the manufacturer, upgrading the processor a step or 2 there (T7200 gets you the highest on-board cache, and 2.0ghz screams on this thing...CPU-oriented tasks are lightning fast), and then looking at someplace like Newegg for a RAM upgrade kit...in most laptops (except my old HP with 1 stick UNDER THE FREAKING KEYBOARD!!!! HELLO, HOW STUPID IS THAT!!!!!) a laptop RAM upgrade is easy, and MUCH cheaper after the fact.

Collapse -
Agreed
by StargateFan / February 17, 2007 12:45 AM PST

Definately, if you were to stick with one upgrade the RAM would be the most prudent choice. The processor however does handle the actual computing so having a strong and capable processor is an important factor as well. But sure the RAM is realy something you want to upgrade when buying a new laptop or any computer for that fact. You can always upgrade the memory as long as you make sure that the laptop comes standard with two memory slots, then you get into my favorite part, ripping the machine part and tinkering. It's the Tim Allen in Home Improvement Therory "MORE POWER."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.