Desktops

Question

I have a Gateway ZX6971 that has a cold boot issue

by jrpike44 / January 19, 2013 2:20 AM PST

My gateway will not always boot on the first push of the power button when attempting to start after the computer has been turned off for several hours. Have no problem starting the computer shortly after it has run. The computer will at times boot on the first push of the power button, but most alway will require two to three attempts.

Can anyone help me with this issue.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I have a Gateway ZX6971 that has a cold boot issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I have a Gateway ZX6971 that has a cold boot issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sounds like power supply to me
by wpgwpg / January 19, 2013 2:29 AM PST

I'd suspect the power supply first, but my experience with Gateway has been that they use very flaky components. As a circumvention, you could try using hibernation instead of complete shutdown. I bought a Gateway desktop in 2006 and within weeks the keyboard crapped out. Then after a year's use the monitor went. Shortly after 3 years the system wouldn't boot and Gateway didn't have the parts to fix it, so they referred me to a 3rd party that wanted $200 for a motherboard. I removed the hard drive and put it in another desktop I built and have avoided Gateway ever since.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
BAD CAP symptom.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2013 2:37 AM PST

Could be the PSU but inspect for BAD CAPS (see google.)
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Areas to review
by Willy / January 19, 2013 3:02 AM PST

I did a quick Google and found various models# based on your initial one provided. Knowing the "full mode#l" or one listed on the decal not badge plate will help.

In most cases when PCs can't boot and already provided to you by others is either flaky PSU or bad caps. Bad caps can also be part of a bad PSU. In turn repeated reboots or such usually clears the immediate problem until next time. Typically, I inspect closely for bad caps(google for examples and if nothing found, just replace the PSU. if the PSU is the original supplied, it has seen batter days. If you have also upgraded your PC or added much, that too can make a PSU suffer on more wattage demands and start to degrade. To include any prolonged "heat stress" environments, so clean out the PC if found dusty, etc.. All this maybe too late unless the above PSU is replaced. For now, I exclude any s/w glitches or driver issues. It always good to be up to date on everything, like drivers, MS updates, bios, etc. until completed. But, don't do this until your boot problem is resolved or you want to proceed regardless, since it wants to boot when warmed-up.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I have a Gateway ZX6971 that has a cold boot issue
by jrpike44 / January 24, 2013 7:25 AM PST
In reply to: Areas to review

Thanks for all the comments. The full model number of my Gateway is ZX6971-ub10p. I checked the voltage output of my power supply. The power suppy label states it has an output of 19 volts. Mine had an output of 18.7 volts.

I did take a quick look at the capacitors when I had my case off, but didn't see anything like the pictures on Bad Caps. I will be taking the case off again an will do a more thourgh look at the Caps., and anything else that you guys think needs checked.

Any additional help is appreciated.

Collapse -
Some caps are also
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 7:27 AM PST

In the power supply and on boards such as the video card. You usually can sniff this out by swapping the PSU and motherboard.

I don't see where you tried a new CMOS battery.
Bob

Collapse -
Check out...
by Willy / January 25, 2013 1:49 AM PST

It seems your PC is a AIO type. These are nothing more than slim desktops that use laptop type components, etc..

One area that make these suffer is "heat stress" and that generally refers to a weak mtrbd. or sub-PCB found on the mtrbd. It maybe a device found within the case, but generally they're OK. heat stress simply makes the overall stability of the PC get as you've experienced NOT always reliable on bot or prolonged usage. I recall trying to help a similar PC from Asus they provide PC for other OEMS like Gateway, HP, etc.., but he couldn't reaily find a replacement part. Point blank if you have any warranty, use it. If you can't seem to fix this problem, then more than likely its mtrbd. based, so research the cost aspect of this or repair. Closely inspect any USB connections or hubs int. the PC for bad lands(think blown fuse).

As for find 18.7V on the 19V AC adapter, that's OK. Generally, anything within 5-10%. You may want to reduce the load and see if that helps, disconnect to make a simpler PC. Also, I use a magnifying glass to better inspect the innards, it helps. Also a "bad cap" needn't be so obvious, a slight bulge maybe all there is or "discoloring" directly beneath the cap(leakage).

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.