iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Rant

I hate my IPad mini

by kyvette / May 16, 2013 3:26 PM PDT

I feel like I got ripped off. When I put out the money for this I felt like I had really joined the big time tech world. Well I hate this thing, I'm ready to sell, return it and get an android. Any thing I try to do I find out...no app for that. From the ability to change fonts in my email to auto fill its a big ZERO. There's no adobe flash either. How did I go wrong? Should I have just bought a Kindle fire or some other tablet?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I hate my IPad mini
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I hate my IPad mini
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Someone must have been living under a rock,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 16, 2013 9:52 PM PDT
In reply to: I hate my IPad mini

for the last 5 years, or they would have known that there was no Flash on ANY of the Apple Idevices.

One wonders if you know of any tablet that will do the things that you want and, apparently, miss so much.

As for Flash, did you know that Adobe has stopped any further development of it?

If you feel so wronged, put the thing on eBay and get whatever you want with the proceeds.

P

Collapse -
Not exactly....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 16, 2013 9:56 PM PDT

I use a MacBook Air and it does use Adobe Flash, just not my iPhone or iPad.

Collapse -
Yes, exactly.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 17, 2013 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Not exactly....

Go back and read the first line of my post again, carefully.

P

Collapse -
Adobe Flash...
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 17, 2013 9:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, exactly.

My MacBook Air (about 2 years old) is running Adobe Flash (v. 11.7.700.202). I did read your entire post.

Collapse -
(NT) The MacBook Air is not an iDevice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2013 4:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Adobe Flash...
Collapse -
(NT) But you missed the word Idevice
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 17, 2013 11:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Adobe Flash...
Collapse -
I hate my mini
by kyvette / May 17, 2013 2:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Not exactly....
thank you...I didn't think I was a total idiot.
Collapse -
I hate my mini
by kyvette / May 17, 2013 2:45 PM PDT

I guess I fell for the hype. I looked at it several times. I am not someone with a huge amount of disposable income.... I put a lot of thought into this purchase. I took me some time to save for this too......I didn't just pull out the plastic a buy it. This may be why I expected more. I feel like its very unwieldy. When I see the commercials for the mini I wonder what I'm doing wrong. I couldn't even get that Siri thing to work. I asked it to find restaurants near the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art, In New York...it said there was no such place!
Since you are macfixit...can you suggest apps that will make my mini more user friendly?

Collapse -
Friendly is a two way street.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 17, 2013 11:17 PM PDT
In reply to: I hate my mini

there are thousands of apps in the App store and as I don't know what it is that you would like your iPad to do, I can only suggest that you take a look there.

Millions of people are getting along quite well without Flash so unless you feel the need to play a lot of Flash Games, I'm sure you can adjust. Is that something that you did before you purchased the Mini?
You didn't mention whether you have a computer and what it was that you did on it.

What were your expectations for the Mini and what would you like it to be able to do? Bear in mind that Flash is not supported natively but, can be made to play with the aid of an app.

Siri works very well but you must have either a WiFi signal or a Cell Signal (if you have the Cell enabled version of the Mini) for Siri to work well.

P

Collapse -
Thanks!
by kyvette / May 20, 2013 4:00 AM PDT

Not a gamer at all,using wifi ,have a hotspot when away from home. I use a dell latitude laptop. I do basic stuff. But I want to be more organized. I shop online,I watch streaming content. I listen to podcasts and music. I want to do just about every thing on the mini that I do on the laptop! Is that EVEN possible?
Oh, I'm a big reader and get quite a few publications online. I really love that's working out. That's something.

Collapse -
Everything you mentioned, including streaming Video,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 20, 2013 4:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

is definitely possible on the mini.

As long as the streaming is not Flash then you are good to go.

YouTube has converted most of their content from Flash to HTML5 which give a much better quality picture.
Apps like HBO to GO and DIrectv both have a very good streaming system for movies etc. You do have to be an HBO subscriber at the house though.

Music and podcasts are easily handled in iTunes, as is some video streaming.

P

Collapse -
Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art
by datgd / May 22, 2013 11:19 AM PDT
In reply to: I hate my mini

I don't think there is such a place. There is the Metropolitan Museum of Art, at Fifth Avenue and 58th Street, and the Museum of Modern Art, on 53rd between Fifth and Sixth. They aren't all that far apart, but I'm still not surprised a computerized assistant had trouble figuring out what you meant...

Collapse -
Siri doesn't know art!
by kyvette / May 22, 2013 1:28 PM PDT

Even still ! Lol!

Collapse -
I suggest.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 16, 2013 9:54 PM PDT

....the Nexus 7 might better suit your needs. The Kindle or Nook are more neutered and do not have access to the full Play Store without hacking the device (which is not too difficult).

Collapse -
(NT) Plays Flash without any messing around?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 17, 2013 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: I suggest.....
Collapse -
Yes, it does....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 17, 2013 8:56 AM PDT

No hacking or special configurations needed.

Collapse -
I have a Nexus 7
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2013 4:37 PM PDT

And it wasn't too much trouble to improve Flash support. However I've yet to find a fix to allow hulu.com
Bob

Collapse -
Is that a recent thing?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 17, 2013 11:21 PM PDT
In reply to: I have a Nexus 7
Collapse -
(NT) Flash.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / May 19, 2013 8:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
Flash.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / May 19, 2013 8:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Flash.

Sorry, hit the wrong button. Flash is in Google store now for a limited time.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Try the Dolphin HD browser too (n/t)
by Pepe7 / May 19, 2013 3:01 PM PDT

n/t

Collapse -
It's a moving target or issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2013 3:36 AM PDT

One day it's there, next it's gone and now it's back in the store. It appears that the makers have heard from users that they want flash to get to those web sites that have not upgraded to HTML5 and beyond.

But that's a longer discussion.
Bob

Collapse -
ipad/flash
by Dblkk / May 22, 2013 3:43 AM PDT

People are correct where virtually no 'devices' have flash. there are laptops/netbooks with such capabilities but from a device standpoint only the galaxy note 10.1 and 8 come with it right out of the box. I have the note 10.1 and can tell you I used it daily for everything and loved it. The surface rt and pro have flash as well. I currently own the pro which has almost entirely replaced my note 10.1 and laptop. the rt is limited but is more portable, better battery, and cheaper if just looking for a tablet. the pro is a grand, respectable battery for a high end laptop but not even close to a tablet. I'd suggest looking into note 10.1. you can find them on sale for $450 for the 10" and like 350-400 for the 8". Its a little more than the ipad mini, but for flexability and for what you get its more than worth the price different. you can even buy a $20 adapter and plug a usb device into it. run multiple apps side by side like you would with windows. and android may not have as many apps but they still have a crap ton. and much simpler to use while giving you freedom to make folders to save web pages, and drag apps to where you want them and such. its overall a great device. I still use mine when I need a battery for a day and just web browsing or android mini gaming. Hope this helps. its also right around time when all new laptops and tablets are coming out with new improved processors, battery and hardware improvements. You might see a lower standard price, you might now idk. but you should see a drop in price for whats out there now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.