TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

I hate Blu-Ray discs and players

by Johnboy47 / November 4, 2010 4:59 AM PDT

I hate Blu-Ray!!
Don't get me wrong, it has fabulous HD video, but why do I have to put up with constant problems playing discs? I just want to sit in my recliner and watch a movie. I don't want to retry playing the disc numerous times. I dislike having to upgrade firmware and wait for the download to play a new DVD release. It's like buying a car with 3 wheels and having the dealer try different wheels to complete the set. Manufacturers are rushing new technology to get the product out without due consideration to the DVD producers. Universal is the worst. Why??

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I hate Blu-Ray discs and players
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I hate Blu-Ray discs and players
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We know why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2010 5:03 AM PDT

The short acronym is DRM. BleuRay takes DRM to a new level and along with it we get all this firmware and other problems.

You have hit on why Blu-Ray is not doing well. Most folk are not willing to put up with the troubles.

However the PS3 seems to be a little better but then again the cost keeps the acceptance rates low.
Bob

Collapse -
Exactly, and we're to blame for DMR
by Dan Filice / November 5, 2010 4:03 PM PDT
In reply to: We know why.

If we weren't making pirate copies of everything, the studios probably wouldn't need DMR. One thing I heard that helps is to turn Off BD Live in the menu so the player isn't always looking to access features via Internet.

Collapse -
My Sony . . .
by Coryphaeus / November 6, 2010 11:36 AM PDT

Blue-ray player (a last year's model) plays anything I put into it. Including .avi and .divx downloaded movies I've burned to optical disk.

What brand are you using?

Collapse -
My my.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2010 1:27 AM PDT
In reply to: My Sony . . .

You may have inadvertently revealed the name of the maker that is BluRay central.

Collapse -
I hate Blu-ray
by Johnboy47 / November 8, 2010 5:04 AM PST
In reply to: My Sony . . .

Thanks for the reply. I have a Samsung BD-P3600.
When I purchased it last January it was highly rated. Obviously it's not their problem.
The security issues are understandable but the wait for firmware can be shortened. It's been almost impossible to play a Univeral Studios disc for a couple of months. When I called Samsung customer service (another outsourced disaster) they advised me that no new upgrades were available. Last week Samsung finally had the upgraded firmware.
It's frustrating but I just have to watch the constant Microfost securiy updates to realize there is no easy fix, But I had to vent!

John

Collapse -
I understand completely.
by minimalist / November 8, 2010 9:33 AM PST
In reply to: I hate Blu-ray

I'm on my second player in 2.5 years and this one is already starting to have hardware malfunctions like the first one. And the the constant lagging firmware updates are indeed a pain in the @ss. Honest people who actually pay for their content get shafted while the pirates and the torrent kiddies are unaffected. Pirated content flows freely and has no DRM.

There is something fundamentally broken with the whole system.

Collapse -
Read Coryphaeus
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2010 2:14 AM PST

Coryphaeus and I have that make of player that holds the BluRay patents. Comparing notes with others tells me that if you want the least trouble, try that make next.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm a convert for that brand we don't mention (Sony)
by Dan Filice / November 9, 2010 5:29 AM PST
In reply to: Read Coryphaeus

I have a Sony DVD/VHS combo player at work that broke after about a year. I never wanted to buy a Sony DVD player again. Then I purchased a PS3 80Gb model and it's been a solid player, plays everything, and it downloads firmware updates wirlessly. I was still hesitant about other Sony DVD players so I purchased two Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray players. While they are good players, they had problems playing some BR discs and more concernng, they didn't play a SD disc I have. I thought it was the disc, but no Panasonic player was able to play thie SD disc (noted on a variety of forums). Upset at the Panasonics, I made an impulse purchase at Costco on a Sony BR player for $99. I held my breath waiting for it to reject my problem discs, but it played everything flawlessly. I purchased a 50ft. Cat5 cable at Fry's and when I need to download firmware updates, I simply connect the Sony and I get the updates. I am a new fan of Sony BR players. Oh, I guess we don't mention that name.

Collapse -
Just noting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2010 7:20 AM PST

He who holds the cards... (or patents) seems to have this game rigged.

Collapse -
(NT) Yes, and the cards stacked in their favor I think
by Dan Filice / November 9, 2010 8:03 AM PST
In reply to: Just noting.
Collapse -
I hate Blu-Ray
by Johnboy47 / November 9, 2010 6:55 PM PST

Exactly what I was thinking of doing. My Samsung has the advantage of wireless so for convenience I'd have to stay with a wireless unit. So I'll be shopping!
Thanks.

John

Collapse -
my first Sony was a piece of junk
by minimalist / November 10, 2010 8:17 AM PST

Painfully slow to load, had to download firmware updates on a Windows PV only (we have Macs in the house) and after about 12 months it started having transport errors. I gave that away to a family member and bought this LG BD390 a year ago. I mistakenly thought the days of hardware and software kinks were firmly behind us but now it too is starting to have transport errors on it as well.

Collapse -
PS3
by bearvp / November 11, 2010 11:14 PM PST

I've never had an issue of a disc not playing in my PS3. And firmware updates only seem to come once every 3-4 months, so I don't see the big deal.

Collapse -
PS3
by Dan Filice / November 11, 2010 11:28 PM PST
In reply to: PS3

Yes, and the PS3 has wireless Internet capabilities so it only takes the push of a button to update firmware.

Collapse -
I hate blu-ray
by Johnboy47 / November 12, 2010 1:52 AM PST

Duly noted.
From the responses I've received I guess Samsung was not a good choice.

Collapse -
I hate Blu-Ray.....
by Johnboy47 / November 12, 2010 1:59 AM PST

If you read my post you'd see the "big deal".
3-4 months for firmware updates is insufficient when the DVD producers are constantly upgading their product for security.

Collapse -
(NT) I hate Blu-Ray.
by Johnboy47 / November 12, 2010 1:52 AM PST
Collapse -
No Problems
by Flatworm / November 12, 2010 11:18 PM PST

I have had a Blu-Ray since the beginning, first a Sony BDP-S300 then a Sony BDP-S350 (the 300 still works -- we gave it to my sister-in-law when we got the 350 free with a new TV). I have never had a problem with it except, very rarely, a freeze-up that requires unplugging the unit and then plugging it back in. This has happened twice in its three-year life so far, and I had as many problems with any DVD player, and indeed any VCR, I've had before.

At least once this was caused by my daughter getting some greasy fingerprints on the surface of the Blu-Ray disk. Only once (the first time) was the problem inexplicable.

I think Sony has updated the programming/firmware twice since I got the thing in 2008. It's not much of a burden really, and if you don't want it done "right now" you can put it off as long as you like.

I think Blu-Ray is great, but they can indeed dump the DRM. I mean, really, aren't those guys rich enough already? Consumers making copies, particularly of Blu-Ray disks where VERY few people have recording devices, cannot really cost them any meaningful percentage of their profits, and the people who would obtain the copies were unlikely to purchase the originals anyhow.

The big boys who make thousands of copies will also break whatever DRM scheme they concoct anyway.

Collapse -
I agree, hate em
by 240zracer / October 9, 2011 11:06 AM PDT

In fact I just canceled my rental membership and will not waste any more gas renting movies that will not play. I don't feel like updating my machine either. I believe I can live without blu-ray, and I don't sympathize with the industry. They make millions, probably billions, of dollars off us, and they worry about the few people who try to bootleg. Like everyone else, they want every last nickel they can get to add to their millions. I'm pretty sure that 99% of people just want to watch a movie, and we have to put up with all the expense of HDMI, and new machines, and updates, and waiting forever for the movie to load. I hope the format dies, and I will do my part.........not buy it, not rent it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.