Desktops

Resolved Question

I had PC Cleaner Pro check my computer.

by dena1936 / February 1, 2012 7:24 AM PST

I received a report saying that I had critical problems and an offer to buy. Before I buy it, I need to know if anyone recommends it or advises not to buy it. Thank you.
Dena

dena1936 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I had PC Cleaner Pro check my computer.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I had PC Cleaner Pro check my computer.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by dena1936

Collapse -
Think before you do.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 1, 2012 7:28 AM PST

Where did this "report" come from and how did they know your system has critical problems?

Does it have critical problems? Have you noticed anything wrong?

Such things are usually scams, after your money.

Mark

Collapse -
I see
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 1, 2012 7:35 AM PST
In reply to: Think before you do.

that you ran PC Cleaner Pro.

I still think you need to be cautious. Did your system show symptoms before running this scan?

What 'critical errors' does it report?

Mark

Collapse -
Popup
by dena1936 / February 2, 2012 11:21 AM PST
In reply to: I see

It was a popup, but I have removed it and do have Norton security Sweep, Webroot Secure Anywhere, and Registry Mechanic. My computer has been running slow, so I am copying my important files to an internal hard drive and a portable one so I can completely format it and start all over again. Thank you, Mark, for your concern.

Collapse -
cautious
by kihnen / January 28, 2013 5:58 AM PST
In reply to: I see

cautious is the right word...I was dupped by PC Pro Cleaners, I will say this I asked for my money back same day, lets hope they credit me back like they said they would...money money, that's all it was about, they do these faulty scans to make you think you have major problems...even after they did this, Norton (whom is (was) my virus protector) and who I trusted came on and said I needed to download a tools removal.. ha ha when I did that, my Norton was deleted, I am now with AVG which I have on my other computer...I will never trust any other!

Collapse -
Your Norton was removed by Power Eraser?
by Maljudges / February 12, 2013 12:19 PM PST
In reply to: cautious

If Power eraser remover your Norton product you should be able to log into your Norton account and download the program again fro free. I had this happen and I got it back plus full years subs.
Mal

Collapse -
Answer
Do NOT Buy It!
by Carol~ Forum moderator / February 1, 2012 8:32 AM PST

Dena..

PC Cleaner comes with a long history. It's known to display exaggerated reports, most likely similar to the one's you received. This report from Symantec goes back to 2007. As does this post from an extremely reputable site.

IF you're able to remove it, please do. If you have problems removing it, I would suggest trying the (free) Revo Uninstaller. It should complete the job.

I would further suggest installing the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Update it, and run it to see if it picks up any traces of PC Cleaner. You might want to consider keeping it as a stand-alone scanner.

Let us know if you run into any problems along the way..
Carol

Collapse -
PC Cleaner
by dena1936 / February 1, 2012 1:37 PM PST
In reply to: Do NOT Buy It!

Thank you so much for the advice, Carol. I have removed it from my drive and I will install the Malwarebyte's anti-malware. I have Norton, PC Tools and and Webroot

Collapse -
Make sure you are using Webroot SecureAnywhere
by G_Davis / February 7, 2012 4:15 AM PST
In reply to: PC Cleaner

Hi dena,

This is Greg from Webroot Support.

I am replying here to make sure that you are using Webroot SecureAnywhere and not one of our legacy Webroot products. SecureAnywhere has been completely redesigned and built from the ground-up. SecureAnywhere is also thoroughly tested to work alongside most other major security products. If by chance you are using an older Webroot product, please let me know and I will provide you with instructions on how to upgrade for Free.

Thanks,.
Greg

Collapse -
Answer
You tell me if its a scan or a scam
by gonzy49 / September 25, 2012 6:57 PM PDT

I tried PC CLEANER PRO today with results of over 92,000 problems on my computer!!! Four hours earlier I ran TUNEUP UTILITIES 2013 and fixed all problems it determined were neccessary. Completely optimized but I still have over 92,000 errors, problems and what evers that need my attention. NOT POSSIBLE!!! I also received within the hour I installed and ran the program, Three emails from PC CLEANER PRO offering me reduce rates on their program. I would like Microsoft and PC Cleaner Pro to explain this. Why would Microsoft partner up with this company.

Collapse -
Re:: PC Cleaner Pro
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 25, 2012 7:20 PM PDT

In this thread I read several posts advising not to buy it. Doesn't seem a bad idea to follow that advice.

Alas, CNET can't answer your question about why they consider themselves to be a Microsoft partner and if Microsoft agrees with that. That's a question for Microsoft.
But it would be interesting if you ask them and post their answer here!

Kees

Collapse -
PC Cleaner Pro
by mikeoglee / January 12, 2013 12:36 PM PST

I bought it and it did not do what i initially needed it for. I do not know if the have a warranty but I do know If you call them you will get a hard sell to buy Microsoft technician repair for a year. I am going to try t get my money back.

Collapse -
Answer
pc pro cleaner
by kihnen / January 28, 2013 6:02 AM PST

I only trusted PC Cleaner Pro, becasue they said they were partnered with Microsoft...shame on Microsoft...

Collapse -
Answer
PC CLEANER PRO IS A TOTAL SCAM
by bobk49 / January 30, 2013 9:38 PM PST

I came across PC Cleaner 's free scan when searching on-line for a solution for my computer which had slowed down recently. I read their website and felt like it was a legitimate deal based on the accreditation's and reviews so I ran the scan.It showed I had over 28,000 problems with my computer.I paid the $39.94 fee with my credit card, a window popped up to call 1-877-522-8825 to" activate software" and the "fix all issues".The rep, Timothy Sanate in India, claimed he was a "Level 1" tech asked for remote access which I allowed but watched carefully said he fixed some of the problems and that a "Microsoft Certified Tech" would have to correct the rest. I was then directed to a "Level 2" female rep in India and after a lengthy convincing sales pitch agreed to the payment of a $255.00, I should have known better. I was then transferred back to a Western voice who took my credit card details again.Then I was connected to someone called Giovanni@ support who then took remote access to correct my problems which took about an 90 minutes to finish.I had already been on the phone for over an hour and he apparently fixed the problems. I questioned him about the supposedly "free service' that PC Cleaner Pro offers and he confirmed that is correct.Then I asked him if the $225.00 was a rip off and he answered YES. I very upset with the false claims and money this company has charged me.If it is not refunded in total I will take a class action lawsuit out.This has been reported to the Better Business Bureau of the Southland in California where several other people have experienced the same issue as me.

Collapse -
Duped!
by Mbenton31 / March 3, 2013 3:06 AM PST

I was duped into buying the PC Cleaner pro in the same manner as Bob above. I was trying to open a BIN file ( which I later discovered I didn't really need to do) and the ad said this program would allow me to open the file. After downloading and getting the prompt to call, I did so and was asked if I wanted online tech support to repair my laptop for $225. Feeling a little skeptical, I declined the offer and hung up after getting the program installed. Since this happened, not only is my laptop not performing better, it is running slower!! Also, within an hour after the program was installed I got an message saying it was expired. WTH? I will be calling them to get my money back and will be filing a fraud claim with the state. Shame on Microsoft for being a "partner" with this company and allowing their name to be associated with this scam.

Collapse -
YES INDEED, A SCAM OR WORSE!
by porthome / March 21, 2013 6:04 AM PDT

PC Cleaner Pro is a scam, or worse. I fell for it, especially the part about having to call a number to have the software 'activated'. A nice chap in the far east took remote charge of my system to install the activation program, which I now suspect altered a few key registry items. He then did a strong sales job by showing me all the crap infesting my machine, and offered 'Microsoft approved service' for amounts ranging from $100 to $300 annually. I smelled a rat, and declined. However, my system has been working worse since then, and I have taken months to find and correct some strange problems. I'll just bet if I had decided to call back for support, for only $100 or so some bright guy in India could have miraculously fixed the problems in no time, because he would know where the bugs were planted, by the activation program!. Just saying

Collapse -
Answer
PLEASE DONT BUY - SCAMMERS
by BannisterN / June 3, 2013 12:08 PM PDT

I like an idiot bought their product, for what I thought was a virus. I would run the virus check, quarantine the virus and then run the check again and there the virus is again. No matter how many times I did this, the result was the same. Not only did it not remove the virsus, but it crashed my hard drive. I have been emailing and calling them for days, and finally got them to agree to refund my subscription, but ha ha still no refund a month later.

Collapse -
PC Cleaner Pro - scam
by nolaguy73 / July 9, 2013 6:59 AM PDT

I also (like a dummy) ordered and downloaded PC Cleaner. My computer was a mess, it crashed constantly and the program seemed to download viruses of some kind. I cancelled a year ago, and was charged 2X this week for an automatic renewal - everyone check your credit card statements, which I am disputing. They are a complete scam!!!!

Collapse -
Answer
pc Cleaner pro
by Grmpybr54 / September 23, 2013 12:50 PM PDT

I purchased this and found that it did not perform as I expected. However; I was pleasantly shocked when I notified the company that I was not satisfied as they refunded my money within a day. It is not very often that this happens where you purchase downloaded products and I am very happy that they were willing to refund my money as I was not satisfied. Finally a company that lives up to it's reputation.

Collapse -
Answer
Doesn't do what is advertised.
by Tomt0705 / September 29, 2013 9:24 AM PDT

I read all the advertisements and downloaded PC Cleaner Pro and ran to get rid of a problem with links not working since removing Chrome. The advertisements stated clearly that it would resolve this problem, but it didn't. Calling tech support, they advised me to go to Best Buy or Staples and have tech fix the machine. So far, trying to get in touch with their billing department to get a refund has been unsuccessful.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.