Speakeasy

General discussion

I guess this is an example of acceptable racism

by Steven Haninger / July 5, 2013 11:38 PM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I guess this is an example of acceptable racism
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I guess this is an example of acceptable racism
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
they want us
by James Denison / July 6, 2013 1:49 AM PDT

...to take and raise their children with proper discipline for them too?! When will they quit expecting everyone else to do it all for them? I taught my children early math using homemade flash cards. How much did that cost? Not much! How much does it cost to read them a page in a book and then have them read it back to you, with help at first? Not much! The problem is they've been blaming everyone else for their problems so long, they can't even conceive of doing anything else it seems. Desegregation destroyed the black communities, because many who could serve as examples in that community left and now there's a division between the black haves and the black have-nots, but it's still the whites who get all the blame from them. Whitey's always doing something to keep them down, "Hey, pass that joint this way, and don't hog the bottle either". "What time the liquor store opens today?". "Momma said sit out here on the steps till her new boyfriend leaves". It seems there's no end to it!

Collapse -
The issue I take more is about Ms. Lewis and her position
by Steven Haninger / July 6, 2013 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: they want us

I can't find where she's anything but a union leader but, even as that, she represents people of other races than just the one she identifies with. If she thinks racism and poverty are the cause of problem in the Chicago schools, it would seem that her racist remark does nothing to help the situation. Personally, I don't think it's the responsibility of one race or the other to concern themselves intimately with any children but their own. If she expects the wealthier to care about the education of the less wealthy, shouldn't she also consider the converse argument? This woman comes off very strongly as being a hater of the ones who've become successful. Being that she's (directly or indirectly) in the field of education, I find that to be quite a piece of irony.

Collapse -
I'm going to make an assumption here
by TONI H / July 6, 2013 3:26 AM PDT

She grew up in a poverty stricken area, had a mentor (perhaps a teacher) who inspired and pushed her to her potential, she became a teacher herself, got out of the ghetto and into a nicer neighborhood, and has completely disregarded her own personal history now that she's making better money than the parents of the kids she teaches, and now blames the 'elite' rather than put in the same effort her own mentor put into HER years ago.

This is actually pretty typical of lazy people who don't take responsibility for themselves.......and she actually CHOSE a job that, with union security and school tenure security, doesn't have to put in the effort anymore. "Don't blame ME for your kids being stupid or bad"......."It's not my job to do anything more than my union contract says I have to, so I don't." "I won't negotiate any contract that insists that I, personally, have to also be tested to prove I'm worthy of that raise, and I sure don't want any State laws approved that says the kids I teach have to be tested to prove I'm actually teaching them anything". "I'm here to put in my time, retire on the taxpayer's back, and it was my plan all along to have a cushy job that doesn't demand much of me".

Collapse -
I would think that the idea of a union and the role
by Steven Haninger / July 6, 2013 4:36 AM PDT

of its leadership is to ensure that its members...the teaching staff...have what they need to remain motivated in their jobs and perform in a manner that is recognized by both their peers and supervisors as exemplary. But maybe I'm asking too much. Certainly one motivating factor for a teacher would be that the job offered an opportunity to earn a reasonable living and another would be to help allay fears of job loss as long as their performance warranted retention. As for Ms. Lewis, I'm not sure how she fits the mold of union leader who would necessarily have responsibility to maintain the confidence of a diverse teaching group. She seems to be interested in only nourishing those who are black or brown. The rest are there to be harvested. Being Chicago, perhaps politics is in her blood and she'll move on to becoming a community organizer. We've already seen how well that springboard works. Devil

Collapse -
Hmm, I wonder
by itsdigger / July 6, 2013 5:13 AM PDT
In reply to: they want us

who's to blame for Travon Martin's 12 grade girlfriend not being able to read script and how she even made it past 5th grade. I guess that's the "rich white peoples" fault in Florida.

Collapse -
But Oprah said...
by Glenda. / July 6, 2013 4:44 AM PDT

Black people are not racist,After the Paula Dean mess I just wonder if it would help the situation if the movie stars and singers would quit using that "N" word themselves if that wouldn't go a long way in helping the race problems. Also I think it is time they quit blaming white people for all their problems. Boy! Can I see flack on the horizon!

Collapse -
I don't see the Paula Deen mess as being about racism
by Steven Haninger / July 6, 2013 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: But Oprah said...

but about businesses trying to put distance between themselves and anything deemed to be toxic. This has happened to other business as well. We've had Chick fil A and Cracker Barrel under fire due to alleged negative attitudes toward gay persons. We've had the Boy Scouts of America lose sponsorship for the same reason. We've become a nation gone overboard trying to fight bigotry in the name of political correctness. Our problem is that we're using bigotry as our primary weapon in the fight against it. This is nutty to old guys like me. Too many crazy folks out there. Something in the water I guess. Happy

Collapse -
Funding
by Willy / July 6, 2013 6:02 AM PDT

Funding has always been a key issue with education. Since present days, parents can have the option of choosing home schooling, private schools and vouchers for magnet or alternative schools pry away all those that may have been the core students and thier parents support as any govt. funding reduces the "per pupil funds" they would have gotten. Thus a reduced class presence is reflected on those remaining whether they be rich whites or not. It all adds up as costs still still remain to provide the education and general operations. I find that alone with any other tensions are bound to chafe any existing issues and again funding is a prime source. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
If union contracts
by TONI H / July 6, 2013 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Funding

weren't geared to protect even the most incompetent and even the predatory teachers people might not have as many problems with funding as they do now. There are many teachers who are on 'disciplinary' status who sit in a room filing or stapling papers together and never teach in a classroom anymore but can't be fired because they have tenure and also are still eligible for their retirement and medical coverages.....paid for by the parents who are unhappy enough to yank their kids out of the public school system. Until liberals are willing to admit that sometimes teachers' unions just don't give a crap about the kids and are more concerned with the benefits of being a teacher, nothing will change.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.