Computer Help forum

General discussion

I got scammed on eBay, what can I do now?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 14, 2007 5:21 AM PDT
Question:

Here?s my problem, I purchased an iPod from eBay some time ago; the user claimed a friend shipped them out without tracking numbers. So I listened to his song and dance, and going on the belief that all people are good, I believed he would send me an iPod. So I cancelled my resolution on PayPal and threw caution to the wind. Well, here I am 8 months later with no iPod and out $200. When I talked with PayPal, they said I could only use 1 resolution per transaction, and then said the seller had used the service before and seemed to be an alright person. So now I guess I?m screwed, because I have no way of getting him to give my money back. The only thing I have is his phone number that he gave to me in an e-mail. I have called him and talked to him about either giving me my money back or getting me the iPod I?m owed. Is there anything else I can do to get back my money? In addition, what are some eBay buying tips that you can offer, so it does not happen to me or future eBay users? And if you have had any bad experience like me on eBay, what did you do? I love to hear your stories and advice. Thanks!

--Submitted by Jim G.

Answer voted most helpful by our members

ADVICE FOR SAFE BUYING ON EBAY AND OTHER ONLINE WEBSTORES

Sorry to hear about your bad experience on eBay, Jim. I know how you must feel. After 8 months with no resolution, the only thing I can think to suggest is to either write or call this person one last time. While holding your anger at bay, ask them for a refund. Be the nice person. Tell them, that if they?ve had a financial problem, have been ill or have had some other catastrophic event that has kept them from refunding your hard earned cash, you understand. But, at the same time, explain that you are in the same boat and need a resolution. If the person still will not comply, tell them that they leave you no recourse but to report them to their local police department for fraud or theft and take them to small claims court. Also, contact eBay, explain your dilemma and report the seller. I don?t understand why it has taken 8 months to ask about a solution, however. I had a very similar experience and was able to get a refund within a month through PayPal. The main mistake you made was to close the PayPal resolution case before you got your refund. Never close a case before it has been resolved. If you had an error in your bank account and asked the bank to look into it, would they close the case before they?ve resolved the problem? No.

I have learned the hard way that there are and always will be dishonest people both on and off line. It?s just a fact of life. I have to say that the majority of sellers and buyers online are honest. Since there is no absolute way to avoid the possibility of being ripped off again you must take precautions!
When you find the item you?re looking for on eBay or any online website store for that matter:

1. CHECK THE SELLER?S FEEDBACK. If there are any negatives, read the buyer?s comment. It?s not always the seller?s fault. Remember the old saying, ?You can?t please everyone all of the time?? Sometimes the buyer did not thoroughly read the description, didn?t understand it or just didn?t like it after they?ve received it. In other words, find out what other buyers have written about the seller.

2. ASK THE SELLER A QUESTION/S. See how long it takes to get a response. Most sellers will respond within 24-48 hours. If you get no response, find another seller that has the same item for sale and move on.

3. READ THE SELLER?S POLICIES. Do they have a return policy that you can live with? Do they even accept returns for a refund or exchange? Not all do. What is their shipping policy? Do the shipping fees seem reasonable?

4. If you?ve purchased more than one item from a seller, ask for an invoice with combined shipping. Even though it?s not always written in their policies, sometimes you can ?luck out? and they?ll give you a shipping discount. Remember, the seller wants you to be happy!

5. When paying for your merchandise via PayPal, pay promptly. Then, let the seller know you?ve paid and ask them to contact you when the item has been shipped. It just lets them know you are watching their performance. I have setup my PayPal account to use a credit card that has buyer protection. That way, you?re covered if PayPal doesn?t get a resolution for you. Perhaps it?s not necessary, but, you can?t be too careful.

6. If you chose to pay using a Money Order or Cashier?s check, you will need to mail your payment to the seller. Make sure you go to the Post Office and buy a Delivery Confirmation. That way, you can track and know when the seller receives your payment.

7. NEVER USE WESTERN UNION OR ANY INSTANT CASH TRANSFER SERVICE (NON-BANK, POINT-TO-POINT CASH TRANSFERS) SUCH AS WESTERN UNION OR MONEYGRAM.

8. Copied From eBay site:
Payment Services permitted on eBay: Allpay.net, Bidpay, cash2india, CertaPay, Checkfree.com, hyperwallet.com, Moneybookers.com, Nochex.com, Ozpay.biz, Paymate.com.au, Propay.com, XOOM
Payment Services NOT permitted on eBay: AlertPay.com, anypay.com, AuctionChex.com, BillPay.ie, ecount.com, cardserviceinternational.com, CCAvenue, ecount, e-gold, eHotPay.com, ePassporte.com, EuroGiro, FastCash.com, Google Checkout, gcash, GearPay, Goldmoney.com, graphcard.com, greenzap.com, ikobo.com, Liberty Dollars, Moneygram.com, neteller.com, Netpay.com, paychest.com, payingfast.com, Payko.com, paypay, Postepay, Qchex.com, rupay.com, sendmoneyorder.com, stamps, Stormpay, wmtransfer.com, xcoin.com.

WHY DOES EBAY HAVE THIS POLICY?
Safety and convenience are at the core of eBay?s policies toward payments. This policy is designed to promote safe online shopping, and to encourage online payment methods that are safe, easy to use, reliable, and offer high levels of protection for users. The policy also attempts to preserve some flexibility for users that still prefer offline payment methods.

LASTLY, click on the HELP radio button on the eBay site. It?s located in the top right corner. Do a search by typing in: ?BUY SAFE?. You will find more tips and buying strategies to help keep you safe online.

FINAL WORDS: Although this all sounds very OVERWHELMING, don?t get discouraged by one evil seller. Because, as I stated earlier, MOST eBayers ARE Honest, Good and Love to have Fun! So, BE SAFE and ENJOY the convenience of shopping from home! Rae - BichonBay

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-10149_102-0.html?forumID=7&threadID=264204&messageID=2585590#2585590

--Submitted by Rae

If you have some additional advice for Jim, let's hear them! Click on the "Reply" link to post. Please be detailed as possible in your answer. Thanks!
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I got scammed on eBay, what can I do now?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I got scammed on eBay, what can I do now?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Getting your money back when all else fails
by paultjos / September 14, 2007 12:05 PM PDT

Jim -

I feel your pain. I've had several occasions when I've lost money on eBay and also where Paypal was unable to resolve my issues. Probably the biggest problem I have faced is when I pre-ordered sevearl NASCAR diecast cars...each one valued at over $50. I, too, thought that the seller would be honest because of his high feedback rating and high sales volume. However, when the diecast cars were finally released by the manufacturer and I still had not received them, I became very worried. I e-mailed the eBay seller several times with no reponse back. I filed a complaint with both eBay and Paypal, but because they have a 90 day policy, I wasn't eligible to file a resolution. The seller had closed their eBay account and I was about to give in.

Being out several hundred dollars made me upset, so I decided to do some research on the seller and my options. Like you, I had the sellers phone number. I was able to get on the internet and do a phone trace and get his address. I was also able to go back and look at the sellers previous sales and noted that he had occasionally posted a mailing address. Since he did charge state taxes, I figured that he must be registered with his local state as a business. This particular seller was from Wisconsin.

Most states have an States Attorney Generals Office. I went to the Wisconsin Attornery Generals Office website where I was able to file a complaint against the seller. I was lucky to find out that the seller had opened a new account on eBay. I e-mailed the seller one last time, telling him that I had filed a suit with the State's Attorney General Office for non-shipment of my pre-ordered diecast cars. Well, you would not believe how quickly I had my diecast cars and a refund for what he did not have that I had pre-ordered from him. The threat of legal action was enough to make this guy come clean. (His excuse was that he was in the middle of a messy divorce and thus not able to fulfill his backlog of pre-orders.)

My advice to you and contact your states attorney generals office and also the attorney generals office in the sellers home state. You might be able to file out forms on line to file a formal complaint. (I'm assuming that the seller of your iPod is from the USA.) There are strict laws concerning internet sales and scams. The threat of a law suit from a states attorney general was enough to make my seller want to co-operate with me. I would try and find out the sellers address because that can often be of help. Also check the sellers past sales to see if they might have listed a mailing address or business address. The more information you can provide the attorney generals office, the better the chances they can help.

I was able to see one guy I dealt with on eBay who did not send me my item be prosecuted in court. Apparently this guy had a major scam going on and in this case, the State of Minnesota finally caught the guy and my eBay and Paypal records helped put the guy in jail.

That would bring me to my final suggestion...try to make a paper trail of every transaction you make with eBay and Paypal. Hang on to those papers because they may come in handy someday down the road.

It's always a good idea to get the sellers phone number as well as address. Generally, I've had good luck with Paypal. They have resolved many of my cases successfully. Most states have laws concerning internet sales. If you're using the US Post Office, you may also have legal options with them as well. And if all else fails, contacting a local lawyer might be a good option. They can often provide advice as to how you can follow up and take further legal action. Contacting your local attorney generals office is a good place to start to see what legal grounds you have at your disposal.

Good luck!

Pastor Paul Tjostem

Collapse -
Give Em Hell
by Beaters / September 21, 2007 4:05 PM PDT

While Rae's post provides good general advice for beginners to avoid problems, your post provides the rudiments of dealing with a seller who has shown him/herself to be a crook. IMO, the more crooks are dealt with harshly and efficiently the better.

Collapse -
Abusing e-Bay?
by DMB / September 23, 2007 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Give Em Hell

Hi there,
I received the following email from e-Bay this morning and
am quite perplexed. I have NEVER USED e-Bay for any type
of transaction and yet they are saying that I'm abusing it.
I've tried to "reply" and am waiting for an answer from them.
I "seriously doubt" that I will get an answer.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Sincerely,
DMB

Ps. The following is a copy and paste from the email I
received:

Subject: FPA NOTICE: eBay Registration Suspension - User Agreement - Abusing eBay -
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 02:46:44 -0500

Dear eBay Member,

Your account will be suspended under the "Abusing eBay" section of the
eBay User Agreement. This section states that eBay may suspend a user's
account if we think that the user is creating problems (legal or
otherwise) or
acting inconsistently with the letter or spirit of our policies.

To have your account considered for reinstatement, please fax us both
of the following:

- Copy of your driver's license or other government issued ID with your
name and address clearly visible
- Copy of a recent credit card statement (copy of the actual credit
card is not acceptable)
- Copy of a recent bank statement
- Copy of a recent utility bill

***Important***
All contact information listed on the documents that you submit with
your appeal must be consistent with the contact information listed on
your registered eBay account. If any differences exist, you must
provide an explanation for these discrepancies, as well as
documentation that
confirms your explanation.

If your eBay contact information is your work address, please send
official documentation to validate this.

***Important***
If your fax doesn't contain this information, we won't be able to
process it.

Please fax all documentation to:

eBay
Attention: Abusing eBay Appeals

U.S. Fax Number: 1-323-446-7072

Please allow 48 to 72 hours for your request for appeal to be
processed. Sending us an email before that time may delay your request.

***Privacy Note***
Any documents submitted to us will be destroyed after the information
has been reviewed and verified. However, your full name and address
must be legible for us to process your request.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Chance
eBay Customer Support

Collapse -
Abusing ebay.
by roshan5 / September 23, 2007 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Abusing e-Bay?

I have received the same msg., this morning. It is a scam. Please check you messages in My E-bay folder. All messages sent by e-bay must be there. All others send by some one else.

Collapse -
RE: Abusing at e-bay
by MikeL1950 / September 23, 2007 2:01 AM PDT

I am a regular user of e-bay services. The copy of the e-mail that you sent is from a phishing site. While the address looks like it is from Ebay, if you right click on it and go to properties, you will find that that it actually is not an E-bay address. You can also send a copy to ebay and they will probably verify that it is a scam. The real clincher is that it is asking for personal information, ebay never sends out stuff like this. Also it does not address you by user name. All of my correspondence from ebay starts out. Dear (EbayUserName).

When you get something that says dear (E-Bay or other OnlineReseller) member, beware. Also when I go into myebay and check messages, I will find the same message duplicated.

Again, I am 100% sure that this is a scam. I have seen it time and again. When I was new to this type of fraud, I was at my folks home and Earthlink was telling them that they had not received payment and that they should contact them by email and give them personal information. I am a computer person with moderately high experience with the internet, and the email was so professional looking, I almost bought it. We contacted Earthlink (by phone using a published phone number) and they verified the fraudulent nature of the message.

Because you were so bothered by the email, you may have complied (I hope not) and sent them personal information. If you did you may want to seek more professional information (like ebay security, I do not claim to be giving you professional advise). You will probably be advised to look out for identity theft type attacks against you.

Good Luck

Collapse -
More about fraudulent email
by DMB / September 23, 2007 4:35 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Abusing at e-bay

Thanks MikeL.
And thank you nikijen2.

I emailed to spoof@ebay.com and got a reply back
from their automated....
Seems that if one changes the "subject heading"
and it not read as an "exact" forward, no one reads
them. Not only that, but the "spoof" addy is for
fraudulent websites.
See below.

Sincerely,
DMB
Oklahoma

Your email will NOT be reviewed by eBay personnel.

In order to investigate these reports effectively and in a timely
manner, we only review and respond to emails that are *forwarded* to
this address.

The email address "spoof@ebay.com" is used only for processing reports of Websites that attempt to impersonate eBay.

For eBay to more fully investigate your report, please use the
"forward"
function of your email program to send the original spoof email you
received to spoof@ebay.com. We will review the email and follow-up with

you as soon as possible.

***IMPORTANT: When you forward your message to spoof@ebay.com, do not
alter the subject line, add text to your message or forward the email
as
an attachment.***

If your email contains links to suspicious web sites they will be
automatically processed and added to the eBay fraud tracking systems.
After the web site is verified as a spoof site, we will start the
process to have the web site shut down.

Suspicious web sites can also be reported using the eBay Toolbar
Account
Guard. For more info, please visit:

http://www.ebay.com/ebay_toolbar

***IMPORTANT: If an email asks for eBay account or personal
information,
but does NOT appear in your My Messages Inbox on eBay, do not click on
ANY links in the email.***

For more information about identifying spoof email, and protecting your

account with the eBay Toolbar and Account Guard, please visit the eBay
Security & Resolution Center at:

http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/stop_spoof_websites.html

If you think your personal information has been compromised in any way,

you should take immediate steps to change your eBay, PayPal, and email
passwords. You should also contact your bank to see if there has been
any suspicious activity on your account. You can find more information
about protecting your identity at the following help page:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/problems-identity-theft.html

Thank you again for sending us your report. We appreciate your efforts
to keep eBay and PayPal safe.

Regards,

eBay Trust & Safety Team

Collapse -
Phishing
by PC-PILOT / September 24, 2007 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Abusing at e-bay

Forward all such emails (or any that you suspect are not legitimately from ebay), WITH the headers, if possible. Use the address: spoof@ebay.com

Collapse -
re Abusing e-bay
by nikijen2 / September 23, 2007 2:17 AM PDT

you received the email from someone trying to get your personal info(known as phishing) DO NOT reply to these types of emails as you just confirm your email address to these people. instead FORWARD the email to ebay at spoof@ebay.com

Collapse -
Are you sure that it Came from Ebay regarding the suspension
by Dash142 / September 23, 2007 7:00 AM PDT

If you received a email from Ebay regarding your account being suspended then you might want to be aware that the letter might not have come from Ebay. I received such a letter stating the same thing on time.. My suggestion to anyone the receives such a email letter or any type of email letterir to copy it and send it to the Ebay tos report section and with a question or explaination on how you might have received this email.. Never fax or email any personal information that can identify you or your place of business. Never enclose any of your Ebay information or pay pal info.. In the Ebay private policies it states Ebay will never contact you asking for your private info.. When you forward that copy of the email that you received it is best to forward it to Ebay tos. This way Ebay security can go into the email header and track the source that sent you the email.. Hope this helped a little on this subject you have about Ebay canceling your account and requesting your info to reactivate it.. Also before you do that you might want to try to log in to your account and just see for yourself if it still works or you have been denied access to your Ebay account.. Hope this helped also.. Yours Bruce

Collapse -
Abusing Ebay
by championmotorsports / September 24, 2007 12:39 AM PDT

It is a scam to try and get your information, I am hoping you did not answer them or send any personal information, it is for identity theft. Ebay and Paypal will NEVER ask you for personal information through an e-mail, the way to tell if the e-mail is a scam or not, at the top of the letter where it says Dear ...., EBay and Paypal will use your full name where as the scammers just put Dear Customer or something like that. I wish you luck and really hope you did not fall for this.

Collapse -
Phishing
by Rose907 / September 24, 2007 1:28 AM PDT

The e-mail you received is obviously a fake and not from eBay. You say you have never used eBay, so I assume you do not have an eBay account. And even if you did, eBay DOES NOT EVER ask for personal information such as listed in this e-mail. You are a victim of phishing (an attempt to get your personal information for identity theft purposes). I do not have a phone number for eBay, but you can contact them by phone through PayPal (which is owned by eBay). PayPal's customer service number is 1-888-221-1161. Add the e-mail address of the sender of that bogus e-mail to your "blocked senders" list and disregard it. Never ever give out personal information.

Collapse -
It's fraud
by cessamac / September 24, 2007 7:00 AM PDT

You need to contact ebay's fraud dept. This is a phishing email. I have gotten a few of these from co.s I use and don't use. I hope you didn't give them any information! If you have you need to contact the cr. card that you told the phisher of. You can also contact the credit bureaus and have a fraud alert placed on your credit files and if they try anything they will alert you.

Collapse -
LEARN! LEARN! LEARN DAMMIT!!!
by Parish / September 24, 2007 3:12 PM PDT

Oh, you'll get a REPLY alright! LOTS AND LOTS OF REPLIES!!!

You'll get replies from you credit cards, bank and GOD KNOWS WHO ELSE TELLING YOU YOU ARE OVERDRAWN, OVER LIMIT AND YOU JUST SUBSCRIBED TO 2,389 EUROPEAN PORNO SITES!!!!

PLEASE SAY YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY SENT ALL THIS PERSONAL INFO TO AFRICAN SCAMMERS POSING AS EBAY....

If you HAVE, GET YOUR REAR ON THE PHONE TO YOUR BANK, CREDIT CARD COMPANIES, SOCIAL SECURITY, EBAY, ETC. AND ***PRAY*** YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY BEEN SLAMMED!

LEARN PEOPLE!!!

Collapse -
It's fraud.
by dena1936 / September 26, 2007 7:24 AM PDT

I hope you didn't give all that info to them. I got a letter like that. I went straight to ebay.com and found out that it was someone trying to steal my ID

Collapse -
Phishing
by wdemedio / September 28, 2007 3:02 PM PDT

One of the hallmarks of all pfishing attempts are that they ask for some type of dangerously usable information:e.g. passwords, usernames, a copy of your phone bill, bank account numbers, SSN, etc. I continuously get bombarded with this garbage. Your best bet is not to respond at all, open no attachments, and report them to the organization they claim they are representing. This is best done by forwarding the entire email to the legimitate owner of the name e.g. spoof@paypal.com. The legitimate owner can then prosecute these thieves and stop the emails. Always check the source using internet options- you can be assured that it is not really paypal or ebay if the generating url is in Pakistan. A legitamate US or EU or Asian bank or business would never ask you for your personal information in an email- they already know it if they do business with you. These pfishing attempts are equivalent to a cold call from an unscrupulous person- they bait you to provide personal information they can use to steal your assets.

Collapse -
Ebay Abuse
by StevenJ / September 29, 2007 2:18 AM PDT

I check the options panel with the email open. I can usually find out that the email came from a bad source. They usually are not the sender you surmise from the email. I have a program that will allow me to find out who really owns the address the email really came from.

Sometimes the content is used to tell you that the email is not legitimate. In your case the information they ask for is likely to create another you somewhere else in the world. Ebay has never asked me for that type of information.

Two good rules
1. If they ask for information they would already have the email is phony.

2. If the deal sounds too good to be true, it must not be real.

Collapse -
Sorry you are going through this
by tigger1990 / September 14, 2007 1:10 PM PDT

Hello Jim,
seems like ebay is no help for your problem. In your shoes and having worked for Law Enforcement, I would call your local Police Department to see if they can help you. It looks to me you were scammed. Most likely they will tell you to contact the Police Dept. in the sellers area, which I would also do. You probably will be able to find out online which department to contact. Threaten the seller with civil court. He took enough money from you to make this a felony most likely in your state. Find out from your local Police Dept. Have the sellers name and information available. Also if you used your credit card or bank card, talk to them about reversing the charges.
Good luck
Christine

Collapse -
Hey try this!!
by Daddy4302 / September 14, 2007 1:28 PM PDT

If you sent him the payment through the mail You can file a complaint with the Inspector General of the Post Office or what ever his name is. I do know it is against the law to rip someone off using the mail service . I;m having the same issue with an E-bay sellr she ripped me off for a $36.00 Jersey can you believe it? But I filed no reply yet but i'm waiting it's been about 2 wks...

Collapse -
I've been through this
by PC-PILOT / September 24, 2007 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey try this!!

I purchased some memory a while back from a seller in California. It turned out the memory didn't work. I brought it to a local screwdriver shop here and they confirmed that it was counterfiet.

I contacted the seller and he said that he didn't know much about memory, that he only sold it and that if I sent it back to him he would give me my money back if it was found to be bad, etc., etc...

Well, I sent it back to him and didn't hear back from him. I checked back to look for him on ebay and his account was closed. I then looked back through my emails (quite a while had passed ... I, too, was hoping that he was just a busy person who would get to me in turn).

I found that one of his emails did include his website. So, I went to the website and found his email address, which was an AOL account. I emailed him at theat address and made clear that if I did NOT have a money order in my hands, from him, within 7 business days (again, taking into consideration that he was 3000 miles away from me) I would:

Contact his ISP of his role in internet fraud;

Contact the local police where he resided (I did a little research and found out the info).

Contact the FBI

Contact the USPS Postmaster General with charges of mail fraud.

I had a money order (which DID clear) within five days.

NOE of my threats were hollow..

Collapse -
Hopefully this helps
by thereallalablue / September 14, 2007 1:48 PM PDT

If the seller did actually ship the item and it was lost in transit, the seller should be filing a claim with the carrier with whom he shipped. If he says he cannot file a claim without a tracking number; he is incorrect. Major shippers like UPS, Fed-Ex, DHL and USPS can pull up a tracking number with the shipping info (ie, the shipping address, date of shipment, where it was dropped off (if using and shipping center) and proof of value of item shipped) On average the claim process would take roughly 1 to 2 months. If the seller did not insure the package, most shippers would reimburse a maximum of $xx (roughly $100). This however would be reimbursed to the shipper, not to the recipient. The expectation from this action would be that the seller would use the money he/she is reimbursed with to reimburse you.

If the seller is unwilling to undergo this process, it is usually due to two factors. One, the seller never sent the item. Two, the seller feels that resolution is not worth the effort. If the seller wishes to maintain their ebay ratings, they should take the necessary steps to amicably resolve.

Another poster suggestion enlisting the assistance of the Attorney General. This is definitely a good idea if you feel the seller isn't willing to come to an amicable solution. The AG will take your version of events in detail and send a letter to the seller requesting response with resolution in specified time frame. This should prompt quick action from the seller to either refund your money or provide the product purchased.

Good Luck!

Collapse -
Caution: USPS Parcel Post
by Honestdonist / September 22, 2007 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Hopefully this helps

My learning experience involved a computer monitor I shipped via USPS Parcel Post. I shipped the mounting stand via Priority Mail in a seperate package the same day. It arrived as scheduled. The monitor never arrived.

I took my receipt to the post office and was shocked to learn items sent Parcel Post cannot be tracked without the purchase of additional services (delivery confirmation, insurance, etc.). Shipping records are so poor on parcel post shipments that the Post Office could not even verify whether or not my package ever left their location. Awesome, right?

I submitted the necessary paperwork recognizing the monitor as lost, but to no avail. It's shear specualtion, but I have since learned parcel post packages not otherwise safeguarded are prime targets for employee theft. Either that or it went "poof" and blew away in the wind. Either way it cost me $400. It wasn't a complete loss. With little need for the mounting stand, I suggested the intended buyer hang a plant on it.

Collapse -
Lost monitor
by evas53 / September 22, 2007 6:13 AM PDT

You have 90 days on you credit card to get your money back. Read the information that came with your card. If it is lost, broken, stolen or anything. As I said read or ask your credit card.

Collapse -
I purchased an iPod from eBay ....
by JO_ACT / September 14, 2007 2:00 PM PDT

ALL I CAN SAY IS RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH ! ALWAYS CHECK OUT FEEDBACK LEFT FOR SELLER. ALSO TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT HIS SELLING SCORE, I WON'T EVEN LOOK IF ITS BELOW 95%. AND ALWAYS GO THROUGH PAYPAL. AND FILE A COMPLAINT WITH EBAY, STOP THIS GUY IN HIS TRACKS.

Collapse -
Ebay & feedback
by FlyboyLDB / September 22, 2007 12:29 AM PDT

There is no way that feedback can be relied on. The way ebay has it setup, the seller strong arms the buyer into a positive feedback. This could be resolved requiring the seller of an item/service to leave the first feedback after the buyer has paid. Let's face it, the buyer is usually the one taking the initial risk. We would get a better and more honest picture of the seller if this was the case. Why? Because the buyers feedback will not be held hostage by the seller - the buyer will feel free to rate the true service, shipping, description of the item sold. The way it is now, either party can leave the 1st feedback - and usually it is not the seller. I think keeping the buyer from leaving any feedback until the seller left the 1st feedback and one week has lapsed from the time the seller leaving their feedback giving time for the product to arrive. To make sure the buyer leaves feedback, do not allow them to purchase/bid if they have any outstanding purchases over 30 days that they have not left feedback for. ebay could have a feedback selection for both the seller/buyer that states in resolution - allowing for business to continue while this sell/purchase is worked out. This is not rocket science - but for the life of me I cannot figure why ebay has not stepped up to the plate on this.

Collapse -
eBay feedback policies
by dwhomola / October 13, 2007 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Ebay & feedback

I agree totally about the fault of the eBay feedback system. I've had a long email thread with eBay's support system regarding this issue, and I only receive stock pat answers rather than a serious response.
I also have a resolution dispute involving a seller that had a (18) 100% positive rating. I received a defective and used electronic device that was listed as new. The seller hasn't responded to emails to either of his addresses in three weeks. I'm using PayPal to resolve this issue, but their 60 day + resolution period is hardly helpful. I do agree that taking steps to notify appropriate legal agencies is the best way to keep these sellers out of business.

Collapse -
eBay - not rec'd iPod
by mmkid63 / September 14, 2007 2:02 PM PDT

I do have a suggestion in that you can submit to eBay that this seller did not send you your item & that you still 8 months later, have not rec'd it. You could also try to talk to customer service at PayPal and they might be able to help you better. I had a similar issue & online they were not able to correct the problem. But when I spoke to customer service, they were able to do more than someone online.

Also, there have been some instances when the buyer did not receive the item from the seller & the buyer was able to go thru their state's atty office to prosecute for fraudulent sale of goods, even though it's thru the internet.

I hope that this helps.
Erynn

Collapse -
answers for jim g.
by dameagatha / September 14, 2007 2:05 PM PDT

go to the ebay dispute resolution process. there is a process set up specifically to deal with situations like yours; the process can do anything from get you the product or your money back to barring the seller from transacting business on ebay. best wishes. dameagatha.

Collapse -
eBay Purchases
by poetcarmlite / September 14, 2007 2:05 PM PDT

Once in a while you get scorched on eBay. I bought a copy of software and didn't receive it. Unfortunately I paid this person with a money order which makes it hard for eBay to enforce their rules and legally pursue the individual. Never, ever do anything on eBay outside of Paypal. I've done this rarely and since I lost my money I will not do it again. I'm not sure you have a legal recourse, and I didn't understand what you meant by "resolution".

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/index.html is the page containing protection information for buyers.

I am sorry for your experience. People are largely honest in most situations. There is always that one time you get stung.

Collapse -
Avoid getting ripped off on Ebay
by cubanitatb / September 21, 2007 11:29 PM PDT
In reply to: eBay Purchases

I am also a buyer on Ebay. Twice, someone attempted to rip me off. This is how I have avoided problems and I hope it helps. I always pay with a credit card trough Paypal. I feel protected twice, as I can file a claim with them and also let the credit card company know about the problem. Also READ THE SELLERS COMMENTS!!!! Not one or two. Read what other's say about them. When I make a purchase, I allow the seller about 1 week to send me item before I email them asking them with update on shipping if I have not received it. By 10 days, I am already prepared to start a follow-up as to why things have not arrived. A warning sign should come up!! Let the seller know that you intend to file a claim if item is not received within 3 more days and that at this time, you intend to file a claim and they can keep their items.
Now, I had a seller that sold me used stuff as NEW. I filed a claim with paypal which takes about 30 days. The seller does not get paid. I researched her comments until I found that she had previously bought the sweater used from another seller and tried to sell to me NEW. I called Paypal..gave them the info..and I got my money back..I did not stop there. I contacted Ebay Safe/Trust and told them about seller..they sometimes give you excuses, which makes me upset but I did not give up and gave them all the proof about this seller. She is now gone! So do not give up but use good judgement. When you get the feeling it is too good to be true..it is!!!!

Collapse -
Ebay and ID:shannonalbert30 cheat me
by Juksana / September 24, 2011 1:16 AM PDT

I have not receive my cosmetic.I wait 2month but not receive.I contact seller ID: shannonalbert30 but this seller not response me.I loss money $72.2.I'm buyer but can't contact seller.Why? Seller is unhonnest.but Ebay help seller not help buyer which not receive goods.I am unhappy with Ebay protect buyer.Ebay check is incorrect and wrong decisions.I have not receive goods but Ebay leave seller faver.Now I can't contact seller.Seller not answer me.It'd bad order.please Ebay contact this seller about return goods and rufund my money.I'll post this story about unhonnest seller ID: shannonalbert30 in webboard.For beware other buyer.Thanks

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove seller's contact info on 09/26/2011 at 5:15 AM PT

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.