Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

I gave up!Could somebody rescue me?

by ibs2005 / July 14, 2005 1:27 PM PDT

For the last 6 days I have been trying to download some files from my laptop(Dell WIN XP) to my rec. through the serial port (COM1) using a serial cable but it keep saying '' Can't open serial port! Access Denied! '' So I check the port in the BIOS it's enabled and works fine then I tried to check connectivity on the port by using the ''Hyper Terminal'' it said '' Another program is using this port! Try again after it's done! '' So I tried to found which program is using this port, I could not.
Please help! Any ideas ; How to open this port, or how to found which program is using it...
Who ever gonna help me and give me the right solution I'll name him the HERO of this forum, and thank you!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I gave up!Could somebody rescue me?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I gave up!Could somebody rescue me?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
serial port access
by glennlee / July 14, 2005 2:08 PM PDT

Most computers still come equipped with dial up modems that access the computer's serial port. Disable the modem in the control panel, and you will be able to use the serial port for data access.

Collapse -
serial port access and midi connection
by catfishfriend / May 31, 2006 3:38 PM PDT
In reply to: serial port access

I had been using a Roland XP10 synth with a serial to computer serial connection on my older Wen 98 computer and had no problem with my midi connection. Now I have an Win XP Professional on a two year old Dell desktop computer and they don't talk. I tried finding a driver at Roland.com, but they only show the one for Win 98. Ideas?

Collapse -
Try this
by jeniesis1 / July 14, 2005 2:21 PM PDT

Details on your laptop is a bit vague. Just a few question to make it easier for us to troubleshoot the problem. Is it a new laptop or not? were you able to use the COM Port before? Have you recently added a software that might be using the port?

If your Laptop is old, chances are the port might be damage. (could try checking your port and cable for bent pins) Also check if there are no coflict for that port (Device Manager). You could also try uninstalling the port then reinstall it or just update the driver. Finally, if you've recently installed a software that needs the port, disable it or unistall it altogether.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
downloading files via serial cable.
by Papa Echo / July 14, 2005 8:30 PM PDT

Sorry, but what is "my rec." ? Regarding downloading the files, do you have to use a serial cable ?

Collapse -
Reboot
by magic / July 15, 2005 7:53 AM PDT

Try rebooting in safe mode (maybe with network support)

and try again.

Collapse -
Serial port connection
by JamesJ / July 15, 2005 11:16 PM PDT

Not sure what might be tying up the serial port. I guess one possibility is a modem assigned to that port. On the software front, I don't suppose you have some fax software running.

As someone else said, what is "my rec."? Another computer?

I doubt this has anything to do with the problems you're having connecting to the port, but if you're connecting to another computer, are you using a cross-over serial cable? A "regular" serial cable, like one used to connect a modem to a computer, won't work. If you have a regular cable, one option is to add a null modem adapter, which will switch the pins around. I've seen some adapters that were wired better than others, but whether or not that's an issue will depend on the specifics of your connection. Or you can just get a cross-over (or null modem) serial cable.

Can you use something else instead of the serial connection, like a USB flash drive or a network connection? A serial connection will be relatively slow compared to many of the alternatives.

James

Collapse -
did you format your HDD before the reinstallation
by InHimITrust / May 31, 2006 8:12 PM PDT

if you have overinstalled the windows xp on the previous version or repaired it. try this one take your backup and then quick format the c drive then reinstall the OS i think it will work

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.