Laptops forum

General discussion

I found many threads about laptop locks, but...

by Cyborganizer / March 8, 2007 11:10 AM PST

I cannot find one that answers the question: "which is better, a combination lock or a key lock"? The combination lock is cheaper, but someone might see me put in the code. The key locks also range in price. The round keys are cheaper than the flat keys. Anyways, here are my questions.

1. Which is the better laptop lock. Cheaper combination or Key Locks?
2. If the key laptop lock is recommended, do you recommend the cheaper round key or flat key?

I appreciate all of the help CNET provides,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I found many threads about laptop locks, but...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I found many threads about laptop locks, but...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) This does not appear to be a popular topic.
by Cyborganizer / March 10, 2007 1:14 AM PST
Collapse -
My review of laptop locks.
by Cyborganizer / March 10, 2007 4:35 AM PST

After looking at many website review pages, I conclude Kensington makes the best laptop lock. Other brands like Targus have a bad reputation of getting stuck on the computer. After watching several videos on the Internet, I do not think round key locks provide an acceptable level of security. I cannot find videos of the new Kensington disc key lock being picked. It is not invincible, but it is harder to pick. I think the disc key locks are the most secure. If you choose the combination lock, treat it like any online code. Change it regularly in case someone sees you enter it. If you constantly change your combination about once a month, the combination lock is probably just as good. DO NOT FORGET THE COMBINATION. I think I am going to buy the Kensington MicroSaver DS Notebook Lock #64343. It is not cheap, but neither is a laptop.

Collapse -
I'm looking for a good lock, too
by giggles / March 21, 2007 7:48 AM PDT

I've seen the ones that can be picked, etc. I have a combination lock and a key lock, but I'd really like to see something new. I've seen the DevCon or DefCon (I forget which) that is essentially an alarm. Seems like a sound extra measure. But really, I'd pay $100 for a very good lock, but don't seem to find much on the market.

Collapse -
(NT) It is much harder to pick a flat key than a round key lock.
by Cyborganizer / March 21, 2007 8:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
an unsettling thought
by linkit / March 21, 2007 8:12 AM PDT

Very few padlocks and security cables can withstand my bar cutters. Sad
Nevertheless, I am of the camp that says any lock is better than none. Happy

Collapse -
An acetylene torch cuts through almost anything, however...
by Cyborganizer / March 21, 2007 8:31 AM PDT
In reply to: an unsettling thought

Locks are not designed to be foolproof. They are designed to make it harder to steal a car, laptop or other valuables. If it takes more than a minute to steal, it is not worth stealing. Especially in a crowded library, school or other public areas. If you keep a constant eye on your laptop, it is pretty hard to cut that lock without you or someone else noticing. Even if someone cuts it and steals it, Kensington insures your laptop up to a certain amount.

Collapse -
Yep, not foolproof
by linkit / March 21, 2007 9:45 AM PDT

Where I have been, blowtorches haven't been a problem; however, the bar cutters and some other snips that one can stow in a backpack made their mark every now and then.

Collapse -
It depends where you're going with it.
by PudgyOne / March 21, 2007 9:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
The link you sent is not for a laptop lock.
by Cyborganizer / March 21, 2007 10:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
Good link, but....
by TreknologyNet / March 23, 2007 11:51 AM PDT

Most machines I have seen which include the Kensington lock slot, only do so in the plastic case, and more often than not that plastic is brittle rather than ductile making it fairly easy to force the lock off the laptop without attacting too much attention.

At university, rather than going to all the trouble of carting locks and chains around, I went to the admin staff and got the same tag as they use to mark books. It means I have to pass my laptop around the barrier because someone stealing it would try to carry it through the barrier and trigger the alarm. This also has the benefit of my being known to security staff enhancing personal safety over that of the laptop.

Collapse -
Aluminum Alloy cases have that advantage.
by Cyborganizer / March 23, 2007 1:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Good link, but....

I really like the Dell Latitude D620 for its strong metal case.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.