Networking & Wireless

General discussion

I forgot my wireless password...HELP!!!!

by areckless1 / April 29, 2008 1:40 AM PDT

I am pretty clueless when it comes to computers. I have wireless from the home PC to my laptop, however, when friends come over and we need the wireless I do not remember my password. I have tried every password I can think of.

It is a net gear wireless router.

I guess I should also mention, I do not keep anything, therefore I do not have the box or any instructions that may have come with this thing.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Crystal

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I forgot my wireless password...HELP!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I forgot my wireless password...HELP!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Forgot password?
by Coryphaeus / April 29, 2008 9:18 AM PDT

Only option is to press the router reset, go back to day one, and start over.

Collapse -
The easiest solution to forgotten wireless passwords
by one-ply / February 18, 2011 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: Forgot password?
Collapse -
you saved me
by snoopydooper2 / July 19, 2011 5:42 PM PDT

Had no idea this existed but apparently I'm not the only goof to set myself and "easy" password, then be unable to remember it later. =P THANKS!

Collapse -
forgotten wifi password
by tcp99 / July 31, 2012 12:56 AM PDT

Greetings and Help!
I have the WEP key, what I don't have is the wifi password.
Will this software allow me to view the forgotten wifi password?

Collapse -
button
by r9c / April 30, 2008 6:44 PM PDT

Reset the button at the router,however it will be back to default so remember to secured ur network.

Collapse -
thanks
by areckless1 / May 1, 2008 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: button

will I need to have any codes or anything? And will it walk me through the process to secure it?

Collapse -
I still need help
by areckless1 / May 12, 2008 9:56 AM PDT

Okay like I said I am pretty computer clueless, well this netgear box, does not have a reset button, it has an antennae, a blue cable and a great cable and a power plus, no reset buttons. if this helps it is a WGR614.

Please help I still ant figure this thing out.

Collapse -
Here's a little help
by PudgyOne / May 12, 2008 12:59 PM PDT
In reply to: I still need help

The reset button is in the back of the Netgear WGR614. Press and hold it for 30 seconds and release it. This will set everything back to factory settings.

Read post 4 here. The instructions were used to setup a Netgear WDR614v6. You didn't state which version you have. If you feel you need to use the CD, the program can be downloaded from post 5 if you do NOT have the WGR614v6.

The tips in the forum sticky are very helpful and are ther for everyone to use.

Rick

Collapse -
I just remembered. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 15, 2008 6:56 AM PDT

All the routers I've seen can be reset via the on line interface. If you can get into the router configuration you can reset it from there. But I've never seen a router without a reset button. Sometimes they are hidden or really small.

Collapse -
Excel Help with page breaks please
by areckless1 / June 26, 2008 6:36 AM PDT

I am working in excel on a large project that has approximately 50 worksheets in it. When I go into a worksheet and try to insert a page break, I time out, and eventually get an error that excel is not responding. Can someone tell me why this is happening? and how to fix it? I appreciate all your help.

Collapse -
Try the office forum. See LINK
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2008 7:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
ok kinda vague but i'm doing what i can to help..
by slee482 / February 3, 2013 1:39 PM PST

What i did was typed in the search in my programs bar in the bottom left hand side cisco cause that is the wireless internet i have. it was in one of the folders in that file. once again i'm aware its really vague but i'm not very good at giving directions so i did what i would do.

Sam

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.