The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

I dunno, kids, the new Zune looks kinnnda sexy...

by robstak / August 5, 2009 2:43 AM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I dunno, kids, the new Zune looks kinnnda sexy...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I dunno, kids, the new Zune looks kinnnda sexy...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I dunno, kids, the new Zune looks kinnnda sexy...
by wizkids32 / August 5, 2009 7:22 AM PDT

Nope it looks like an iPod touch.

Collapse -
Done with BOL
by sandstar / August 5, 2009 10:17 AM PDT

I've decided I'm done with BOL. I just figured out I can just look at the stories, and guess what they're going to say about all of them: Apple=awesome, Microsoft=total crap, Google=we love them, and everything else=if it's on the internet, it's awesome, if it's not, it should just give up, because the business model's changing. I wonder if that's how Tom felt when he got laid off from TechTV. I wonder if he thought to himself "This is AWESOME! The business models changing! This is so exciting! I can't wait to look for a new job in this exciting new business model of online content!" I'm sure that was the first thought through his head. You guys are so down on business trying to keep their jobs, it's amazing. I'm not saying that they should strong arm people, like the RIAA or the MPAA, but you guys also really attack newspapers who are trying to stay in business with an "AWWWWW, isn't that cute" attitude. It's getting tiresome.

Collapse -
bitter much?
by robstak / August 5, 2009 1:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Done with BOL

everyone's entitled to their opinion, but everyone is NOT entitled to say mean things. im glad u put ur post nested in here tho instead of as a separate thread.

also to your other point: if business models donnt change, then they stagnate and thats how you get some guy putting on rear view mirrors who makes 80,000...

innovation is neccesary and tom adjusted. taking pot shots is just lame.

-k

Collapse -
I do have to agree with his general thesis...
by Slikkster / August 7, 2009 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: bitter much?

While the other guy's tone might be over the top, my feelings are that Tom, in particular, has this consistent built-in bias against most things Microsoft. I've heard him make these Zune remarks before about it being years too late, blah blah.

Well, let's take Google getting into the OS business, then. To be consistent he would really have to come out and say that Google's entrance into the OS playing field is YEARS TOO LATE. Same for their Android phone platform. But unless he's made such comments that I'm not aware of, I'm sure there would be reasons given that these apt analogies wouldn't apply. It is Google, after all. That's the problem; inconsistency, at least as I hear it. Microsoft is held to some higher standard, for some reason. Granted it's my own perception.

Collapse -
How about a phone!
by danieljhildebrand / August 5, 2009 1:55 PM PDT

Could this be a prelude to a sweet phone from Microsoft?

Collapse -
They already have that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2009 10:57 PM PDT
In reply to: How about a phone!

Windows Mobile is all over the place. If only they would put some effort into that.

Collapse -
Does look nice
by hosko / August 6, 2009 2:03 PM PDT

If it wasn't being compared to the iPhone/touch I think people would like the look of it more. The iPhone/touch wins because of the glass, being black and curved.

I do feel the guys were right on the show, I now have 3 music playing devices. The original iPod Photo (this never sees the light of day and sits mostly in the glove box of the car connected to the stereo). I also have an iPhone and just recently won an 8gb nano. I was going to be looking at buying a nano or something around that size for when I'm out running walking and not wanting to be carrying my phone.

I don't want to be carrying around two phone size devices. I can understand there are times when a smaller music device is needed but the Zune is the same size as the iPhone and I can't make calls on it. You add a wallet into the mix and your pockets start getting filled up. I think thats why Nano's are so popular with the smaller foot print.

Collapse -
I'd buy one if MS would just support Macs
by minimalist / August 6, 2009 11:41 PM PDT

They are missing out on a rather large section of the market. Blaming it on Apple not licensing Fair Play is lame. You are Microsoft for goodness sakes. Port your own content protection system over to the Mac.

It does look like a slick player though and the lack of phone does not bother me a bit. I've already got a phone. What I want is a great (not just a good enough) entertainment device. The apps have to get moving on the zune though. If not the iPod Touch will still rule this space. The subscription music plan is the Zune's one great plus though.

Collapse -
It looks awesome
by Nicholas Buenk / August 9, 2009 1:06 PM PDT

And I say that as the resident Apple fanboy too. Wink
But it's missing 2 things, a phone! And intergration with the music app I use, ie iTunes. (Apple really needs to open that up to other players, hope something comes out of the Palm Pre controversy)

Collapse -
That day is coming and Apple knows it.
by minimalist / August 9, 2009 2:42 PM PDT
In reply to: It looks awesome

My guess is as soon as the regulators start seriously looking in to antitrust actions Steve Jobs will write some open letter and pretend like opening iTunes to other devices was his idea all along.

Collapse -
Mmm-hmm... Yep.
by toosday / August 10, 2009 7:28 AM PDT

Yep. I'm years away from getting a new computer. Well, that is unless a California earthquake, fire or some other unforeseen catastrophe happens. However, if I were to get a new computer and it be a Windows-based one, then I'm totally looking hard at a Zune HD.

Perhaps by that time Zune will have out a phone. And I will want an phone + MP3 player device. And I will be able to afford the expensive data plans (can't right now).

But, my 3rd-gen iPod Nano bit the dust recently and I'm getting a new player for Christmas. I'd love to take a look at the Zune HD, but you know, no Mac support Sad

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.