Windows 8 forum

General discussion

I don't understand the whining

by samkh / March 23, 2012 1:29 AM PDT

about 8. For those who haven't tried 8CP, do it and then comment on Metro, etc. Don't speculate without experience or with alpha version. What does it cost ya? Ok, a CD for the ISO and your time. Backup the image of you 7 or XP or whatever, so that you can restore to your beloved, if 8CP is still a total bummer.

I find that 8 works as well as 7, the core is as stable as 7, and Metro is an annoyance but not a deal breaker. 7 drivers work on 8. It boots and powers down faster, making HDDs seemingly acceptable compared to SSDs. Only found a glitch when an app crashes if I use the tab key in one instance but that is it! I won't be upgrading from 7 because ROI doesn't justify but I won't be upset for instance with 8 on an Ivy Bridge Ultrabook. Yum!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I don't understand the whining
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I don't understand the whining
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I just love this kind of marketing
by TWB404 / March 23, 2012 1:58 AM PDT

This is the one thing I love most about a new release of software. When people express their opinion on it and it is negative they must be shamed into silence. We are whiners, not cool or hip. We just do not get it. I have even read worst but will not repeat them. I find it to be comical to say the least. I think it would better to express what you find to be so good about it.

I will not deny that there is many good features in Win 8 but the Metro screen and the charm bar alone is going to doom it. I could care less about the start up, shut down times.

I have from the beginning expressed that the Metro screen and M$ desire to push the touch, mobile experience to the desktop, laptops user is just a bad idea. Making any input device such as a touch screen the dominate input device and writing the OS around that is going to be bad for those who do not have touch screen. Have you priced a laptop with a touch screen? Have you priced a touch screen for a desktop? They are not cheap.

A M$ executive even stated that using Win 8 Metro without a touch screen is going to feel a tad retro. What does that tell you about those who have desktop, laptop and the experience they are going to have if they do not have the dominate input device the touch screen. If you will read my post Metro or else you will also see how M$ is going to cripple certain experiences on the desktop to make the user think that Metro is better.

If it helps you to understand this I will carry it one step further. A desktop, laptop is not a mobile device. Laptops can be consider a portable device but it is definitely not a mobile device.

PLEASE, try to understand that insulting those who do not agree with you in thinking that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread came onto the scene does not help sell it at all.

Collapse -
OS tinkerers
by samkh / March 23, 2012 3:08 AM PDT

will hate newer and newer versions no matter what because the interface designs are moving knobs further and further away from them. Other than tinkering, once a user launches into apps, the OS should just perform housekeeping, nothing more. The fruit company started with a paradigm that the OS (and industrial design) is just part of a system that should be easy and appealing to the untrained, and look what happened. Android following suit. More OSs (most likely mobile and not for towers) are probably in development along same lines. Grieve about the loss if you must but unless you plan to linger, undergo the transition and life will be happier.

Marketing for MS??? LOL!

Collapse -
Resistance is futile
by TWB404 / March 23, 2012 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: OS tinkerers

Is that what your saying. That is the same thing they said about ME and Vista. We saw how well that worked out. Keep trying, you might come across a way to make people think this is the path to follow.

The best thing to do is sit back and watch the show that is coming. Customer support lines are going to melt down and lots of over time is going to be used trying to explain how the touch screen is the dominate input device and the OS has been written around that. OH, you do not have one. Tough we do not care. That is going to be the prevailing attitude with the release of Win 8 Metro.

While Vista sold millions of copies because that was the only thing install, it also saw a record number of people who opted for the free upgrade to XP. Will we see a repeat with people wanting to use Win 7 when they reject Win 8.

You should watch the video in the link below. It shows how most of the regular user of Win 8 are going to react when they first try the new OS that has been written around having the touch screen as the dominate input device.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-33042_102-558188/how-real-prople-will-use-windows-8/

Collapse -
ME and Vista
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 23, 2012 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Resistance is futile

I liked them both and had no problems with them. I didn't understand the hype against them then, and I am not sure I understand the hype against Win 8 now, particularly by those who haven't used it.

I used ME for 2 or 3 years until I upgraded to XP, and the same with Vista, although I only used it for just over a year before moving to Win 7.

Weird that, how some people whined about them but I never had any problems.

"Free upgrade to XP". What 'upgrade' was that?

And also what was that "record number" who went for this upgrade? Record compared to what?

Mark

Collapse -
While you might have liked them
by TWB404 / March 23, 2012 8:03 AM PDT
In reply to: ME and Vista

Take a look at the graph concerning OS. I do not claim it is 100% accurate, it gives a good idea on how bad Vista did. Vista never got above 25%. It would not have gotten that far if M$ had not made the puter manufactures install it and then allow the user to upgrade to XP. ( I say upgrade because so many of us think Vista never got close to being as good as XP.) It was not until sp2 did Vista begin to even begin to work properly. Pay attention to how fast Win 7 blows Vista away. It takes less then a year for it to surpass Vista. Also remember that PC sells fell close to 25% while Vista was the main stay for the PC manufactures. That is why Win 7 was rushed to market.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-200807-201203

Will we see a repeat while Win 8 is M$ main OS and will Win 9 be rushed to market to keep the PC from dying. The one good piece of good news I am hearing, have yet to confirm it, is that PC manufacturers are going to be allowed to sell Win 7 on business systems while Win 8 is sold on home system.

Collapse -
(NT) Time will tell.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 23, 2012 9:57 PM PDT
Collapse -
It boots and powers down faster
by zytel / March 23, 2012 10:19 AM PDT

Sure a fresh install would boot up and shut down faster than 7 that been bloated with a bunch of programs that was installed and uninstalled

Collapse -
.. and I don't undestand the insulting ...
by ianchong / March 23, 2012 1:04 PM PDT

So you like W8CP; good for you..! I don't like W8CP, I'm "whining"..????

Collapse -
Whats Ging to Happen after the Free Bee is over?
by gringojo / March 23, 2012 3:01 PM PDT
I cant Afford Win 8 so am I screwed after its over? what will happen to my PC?
Collapse -
Of course not
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 23, 2012 9:56 PM PDT

Windows 7, (or whatever OS you have installed), is still going to work after W8 is released to retail.

In fact I am still using a 10 year old Windows XP system and it is fine.

You'll be OK.

Mark

Collapse -
Windows xp, vista and 7
by m_maursund / August 22, 2012 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Of course not

Never had any problems with any of these operating systems. Looking forward to win 8.

Have used win 7 daily since beta.

Sometimes I think its a user problem and not a software problem.

Collapse -
Not a good operating system
by 3rdalbum / September 14, 2012 7:44 PM PDT

The core is NOT "as stable as 7". Half the time when I plug in a USB device it tells me that the device "malfunctioned" and can't be used. The join between Metro and the classic desktop is horrible; it feels like two operating systems that have been welded together, rather than one coherent operating system. Metro apps take an age to start up - and this computer is not a slouch.

Task switching is sorta okay when only using Metro apps or Classic apps, but no good for switching between the two.

On Windows 8 I have trouble posting to Cnet Forums; the text field doesn't always appear, and the insertion point doesn't always move correctly in the text field.

It's pretty terrible. I use Windows 8 only for games. When the preview runs out I'll probably install a better version of Windows. Probably install Vista.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.