Windows Vista forum

General discussion

i could not install windows vista service pack 1

by id_866 / November 25, 2008 6:20 PM PST

i could not install windows vista service pack 1 in my system,it's giving error code,i am having vista ultimate edition,1 gb ram,intel dual core 1.8 ghz,help?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i could not install windows vista service pack 1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i could not install windows vista service pack 1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What kind of error is it giveing you
by Basket628 / November 25, 2008 8:56 PM PST

What kind of error is it giveing you

Collapse -
Speaking of SP1....
by OzBo / November 26, 2008 3:08 AM PST

Can anybody please tell me both its advantages and disadvantages?
I uninstalled it due to an issue I was having (I hoped some corrupted files would be restored), and now I don't know if I should reinstall it or not.
My system is running nicely now and somehow I feel reluctant to touch it. SP1 doesn't appear among the available updates by the way, and Microsoft strongly recommends to run it via updates rather than downloading and installing the files, which adds to my reluctance to reinstall it.

Thanks for your advice,

Collapse -
Speaking of SP1....
by williamkidd / November 30, 2008 2:50 AM PST
In reply to: Speaking of SP1....

The one thing that you don't want to do is force the installation of Vista SP1. The reason being is that it will be offered when everything on your system is in place for the upgrade. What that means is that all of your drivers should be up to date. I'm not sure what brand your system is but I have seen on many of the Dell systems that the Sigmatel drivers had to be uninstalled before SP1 would be offered through Windows Update. So far that is the only one that I have seen causing a delay but there may be other hardware that could be doing the same thing.

Here is a good article about Vista SP1 not being available via Windows Update:

There are also some articles on ZDNet from Adrian Kingsley-Hughes talking about the update process. I found it difficult to find the whole series of articles though. The Day 1 article is here: but I think there are at least 7 in total.

I've found SP1 to be more stable than the original version of Vista (SP0?) on my system and would recommend it but don't do it unless Windows Update offers it.

Collapse -
It now shows up...
by OzBo / November 30, 2008 4:40 AM PST
In reply to: Speaking of SP1....

Thank you for the reply.
It now shows up among the updates, but I have noticed a few things that had stopped working now work perfectly, although the problems I had may not have been caused by SP1, I am not sure. For example the "Empty Recycle Bin" link didn't work any more, although if I clicked on File, Empty... it was OK. The link "Slide Show" for folders containing images didn't work any more either.
I would be curious to know if anybody had these problems after installing SP1 or if they might have been caused by something else on my system, and I had not noticed.

I am using Vista Home Premium, by the way.

Collapse -
vista error
by id_866 / December 17, 2008 10:14 PM PST
In reply to: It now shows up...

"an internal error occurred while installing service pack1 ,error code 0x8007000D,see for details".this is the error i am getting when try to install vista service pack 1,i saw this link but no use

Collapse -
Vista Error 0x8007000D
by williamkidd / December 18, 2008 6:27 AM PST
In reply to: vista error

Try installing Vista SP1 using Safe Mode w/Networking (F8 at startup) to see if it allows you to finish the update. There have been some cases where drivers have been keeping the update from completing successfully and safe mode may keep problem drivers from loading, allowing you to complete the update. Make sure that it is available from Windows Update prior to updating because if not it is an indication that there is something on the system not ready for the procedure.

Collapse -
Recycle Bin and Slideshow
by williamkidd / December 18, 2008 6:21 AM PST
In reply to: It now shows up...

There are a couple of suggested fixes for Recycle Bin issues related to Vista SP1, however I found nothing related to Slideshow and SP1. The only thing I can suggest there is to check the forums for your system (e.g. Dell, HP, Acer, etc.) to see if anyone else has seen that issue after updating to SP1. It may be a model specific issue but it's hard to say for sure. Make sure your drivers are updated (e.g. soundcard, video card, etc.) before the update if any are available. I should note though that I did not update my drivers and everything worked but the consensus is to update them prior to the SP1 update.

Here are the Recycle Bin issue links:
1) [This one starts with the last post on the linked page and then continues on the next page (4)]

If these two suggestions don't sound like what you are experiencing then you should disregard them.

Since Vista SP1 is showing up in Windows Update that is a good indication that the system is ready for the update. Good luck.

Collapse -
Well, in the meantime....
by OzBo / December 18, 2008 1:50 PM PST

... the update disappeared again..., so I am still without SP1, but my computer is working fine.
Today I bought a 500 GB external HD, and am just doing a backup, just in case something happens again...

Thanks for the advice re Recycle Bin, it is working fine now, but I might need it in the future.

Collapse -
Vista SP1
by williamkidd / December 18, 2008 5:01 PM PST

Just to make sure that Windows didn't do it itself, when you right-click on Computer and select Properties it doesn't show Service Pack 1 in the Windows Edition section? Also, are your Windows Update settings set to something other than Update Automatically? I think I had mine set to something else at one time and I have a feeling that it got changed during an update, or I may have been dreaming that. Happy

That external HD is a very good idea, especially as affordable as they can be found these days.

Collapse -
by OzBo / December 19, 2008 4:55 AM PST
In reply to: Vista SP1

No Sp1 installed..
I have actually set Windows to notify me before installing updates because there are so many.
One thing I find annoying in Vista is that XP told you WHAT the updates were, Vista does not, and you could install updates you don't need....
Of course you could check on the net for every single update, but it is sort of time-consuming...

Incidentally, I have read somewhere that SP1 is for Vista Ultimate or Business rather than Home Premium (which came with my laptop).

The backup completed successfully. I am safe now. Happy

Collapse -
sorry,now working fine
by id_866 / December 19, 2008 1:26 PM PST
In reply to: No...

sorry,now working fine,first i have downloaded vista service pack 1(Windows6.0-KB936330-X86-wave0.exe) which comes around 434 MB,that gave error,after that i have downloaded vista service pack 1(Windows6.0-KB936330-X86-wave1.exe) which is 544 mb and installed working fine.thanks

Collapse -
Wave0 versus Wave1
by williamkidd / December 20, 2008 11:17 AM PST
In reply to: sorry,now working fine

I'm glad to hear that you were able to get the SP1 update, id_866. Wave0, from what I've read, is used for those who beta tested and IT professionals while Wave1 was the update for everyone else. The only thing to remember is that using the manual download overlooks the fact that there may be something on the system that wasn't ready for the SP1 update because once everything is in place then Vista SP1 is offered through Windows Update. The difference in size between the two, as far as I can tell, is accounted for by the fact that W0 has only 5 languages and W1 has all languages.

Collapse -
Vista SP1
by williamkidd / December 20, 2008 11:10 AM PST
In reply to: No...

"One thing I find annoying in Vista is that XP told you WHAT the updates were, Vista does not, and you could install updates you don't need....
Of course you could check on the net for every single update, but it is sort of time-consuming..."
Vista should show you what updates are available to install when you click on View Available Updates inside the Windows Update window. Is it not showing them there? I have mine set to autoupdate and can't remember what it did when I had it set to download but not install. Also, check to make sure that the updates aren't being hidden. If you click on Restore Hidden Updates on the left-hand side it will show you any that have been hidden and allow you to make them visible again. There may also be a Windows Update icon down by the system clock that will show the updates that haven't been installed (click that arrow to the left of the visible icons to see all of the icons).

"Incidentally, I have read somewhere that SP1 is for Vista Ultimate or Business rather than Home Premium (which came with my laptop)."
Do you remember where you saw that because it's incorrect. SP1 is used for all versions of Vista. I'm using Home Premium and have SP1 installed (courtesy of Windows Update). I had some problems getting it to show up when my RAM was having issues but once I got that cleared up it showed up.

One other thing to know is that there is a download that is required before SP1 will show up. I'm pretty sure that the required update is KB937287 so if you haven't installed that then that would keep SP1 from showing up the way that it should.

Did you get a chance to go through that MaximumPC link that I gave in post 4 of this thread? It talks about some of the issues that can keep Vista from updating to SP1 correctly. Sometimes all it takes is to temporarily uninstall a driver and then SP1 will show up.

Collapse -
Vista updates
by OzBo / December 20, 2008 1:01 PM PST
In reply to: Vista SP1

Well, Vista shows the available updates, the number etc., but with no explanation. XP gave an explanation too.... Sometimes you don't need some updates at all, depending on your system (for example if an update is only for networks).

No, I don't remember the link about SP1. What it said was actually that most of the improvements are for Vista Ultimate or Business, and that SP1 won't make a big difference for the other versions.
I save so many links, and for some reason I didn't save that... I have just looked in my favorites.

I was thinking of trying to install it IF I have any issues, somehow I feel uncomfortable touching the system now because it is working fine... Although at least I have a backup now of course... Happy

Collapse -
Vista Updates
by williamkidd / December 20, 2008 1:27 PM PST
In reply to: Vista updates

"Well, Vista shows the available updates, the number etc., but with no explanation."
Yes, those are there too. Happy Right-click on the update (inside View Available Updates) and choose View Details. I know what you're saying about not needing some updates but most of the ones that I've seen for Vista have been useful and the ones that aren't are usually marked Optional. I think my system has been more responsive since the SP1 update but didn't test the difference before and after to be sure. Plus, SP2 is supposed to be here around April or May (in general release) and SP1 is a prerequisite to using it. From what I've read SP2 is going to be more substantial than SP1. (SP2 article)

Collapse -
by OzBo / December 20, 2008 1:52 PM PST
In reply to: Vista Updates

LOL, I expected to see an explanation at the bottom because there is so much space... It works now...

Well, I suppose I will make a new backup before SP2, then I could try installing both... Fingers crossed (which is always a good idea with Microsoft... :))

Collapse -
Re: Thanks
by williamkidd / December 20, 2008 2:29 PM PST

You're welcome, Bo. It does seem like the information used to drop down when you clicked on the update in previous Windows versions. I like the way that it shows it now but it's not intuitive to find unless you poke around (like most of Vista). You could try installing a few at a time based on their Publication Date (PD) to see if any of the specific updates causes a problem. To see them by PD just click on that header and it will sort them. Many of the updates are security fixes so I would suggest installing them but it's your system. Happy If you have any other questions about it, let me know.

There are quite a few nice articles on the MaximumPC website that discuss SP1 that you may find useful. Just do a search for Vista SP1 at The only thing that I don't like about the results from that search is that they are not in chronological order but I may have overlooked a way to do that. Another great source for Vista info, imo, is And of course there are quite a few good articles on the CNET site as well. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Vista 32?
by OzBo / December 21, 2008 3:59 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Thanks

Thanks, William.
They look like very useful links. Happy
Is for Vista 32 too?

Collapse -
Re: Vista 32?
by williamkidd / February 1, 2009 2:06 PM PST
In reply to: Vista 32?

You're welcome, Bo. Sorry about the delayed response, was out of commission for a while. I'm not quite sure why that site uses x64 in the name but everything that I've seen applies to 32-bit, although I wasn't looking for 64-bit since I'm using 32-bit Vista Home Premium. They also have a Win7 site link there that I'm guessing is run by the same people.

Collapse -
DELL problem
by ctfd114 / April 1, 2011 11:23 AM PDT

Ok, so i was talking with microsoft support for 3 hours today and even they couldnt figure out why SP1 wont install on my dell inspiron 1501 laptop...Can anyone give me any ideas?

Collapse -
With only that much detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2011 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: DELL problem

I can only guess the protection software, firewall or prior damage to the OS is at play. Yes it could be that AMD thing but given only this much detail I can only offer it's time to start over.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.