How To forum

Question

I cant seem to change my iphone name at "Computer". Not itun

by Apex9999 / November 1, 2011 6:17 PM PDT

Hey all,This is the deal. I know how to change the name on my iphone from itunes. That is not the issue!! The thing is when I plug in my iphone 4(ios 5) in to mypc (win 7 x64 if its any help) itunes recognizes my phone without any problems.But when I open "computer" its has a completely different name under portable devices. Now my question is how to change this name to what I want??and if its not too much to ask, to know why did it happen like that?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I cant seem to change my iphone name at "Computer". Not itun
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I cant seem to change my iphone name at "Computer". Not itun
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Let's state the problem plainly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2011 1:09 AM PDT

"The name of the phone is wrong in portable devices under computer."

If that is all that is wrong, why fix it? I know it may be annoying but given that we could break something that appears to be working otherwise my advice is to ignore this.
Bob

Collapse -
phone named after ex
by Threnodae / March 24, 2012 3:53 AM PDT

I upgraded to an iphone 4 and the last person to plug a 4 into this computer was my ex fiance and he'd given it his name. That was not just a small inconvenience for me. I found the answer below fixed it right up.

Collapse -
kindred spirit
by ReacherMelendez / August 5, 2012 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: phone named after ex

i understand completely, was fixing my ex fiancee's phone and of course it took her name, looking at every time i plug in my phone? more punishment? no thank you!

Collapse -
Answer
I also got the same problem and i got it fixed.
by 506018 / November 3, 2011 3:10 AM PDT

Iam pointing t0 windows7 os.

Collapse -
iPhone name on Computer different than one in iTunes
by rjsets / November 16, 2011 2:06 AM PST

Dear 506018,

Collapse -
Did not help =(
by kbncaac / November 26, 2011 3:50 AM PST

I have the same problem, and I did as you said, but after I disconnect my iPhone and connected again, it still appear under my husband's name. I went to RegEdit to change it from there, still did not work, what else can I do?? I'm getting frustrated

Collapse -
But 506018 did not mention using REGEDIT.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2011 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: Did not help =(
Collapse -
Name change in my COMPUTER
by kbncaac / November 26, 2011 8:07 AM PST

I'm trying to change my name in my computer not in my Itunes.

Thanks

Collapse -
(NT) So you didn't change it in itunes?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2011 9:28 AM PST
Collapse -
???
by kbncaac / November 26, 2011 11:52 AM PST

The name is fine in iTunes, it apears my name, but is in the computer when everything time i plug in my phone it shows my husband's name, and I don't know how to change that, IN THE COMPUTER NOT IN ITUNES

Collapse -
After it is fine in iTunes
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2011 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: ???

It looks like we use the reply given by 506018. But I can imagine that unplugging and rebooting, etc. can be hard things to do today. That is, it's likely to be some step that was not done.

Good luck!

Collapse -
Can somebody else help me PLEASES
by kbncaac / November 27, 2011 5:25 AM PST

Can somebody that KNOWS ABOUT IT help me please. Pplease

Collapse -
I know about it but I don't know why yours differs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2011 5:32 AM PST

It's like Windows. You fix some issue weekly for a year for folk then one comes along that won't give in to the usual fixes.

Try this. Log into your other spare Windows account and try the above there.
Bob

Collapse -
Perfect!!
by Zeb_McBride / December 3, 2011 2:09 PM PST

I had the issue because I updated my mom's iPhone to ios 5 before mine, then my iPhone took her name when I updated. And on my windows 7 laptop. THANKS!!!

Collapse -
Thanks..
by rupakkhadka / February 24, 2012 8:18 PM PST

Good answer.

Collapse -
Same problem!
by Wierski / February 26, 2012 1:08 PM PST

Hey 506018!
Thank you for your advice.
It worked but after that I itunes can't detect my iphone at all!!
The iphone driver has reinstalled after I plug in the iphone.
But itunes does not show my device at all.
Furthermore, somehow my iphone 4 can't go into DFU mode anymore.
It has something to do with uninstalling the device driver cos before that I can itunes was able to detect my iphone and sync.
pls help...

Collapse -
hi
by janemirza81 / March 3, 2012 8:21 PM PST

hi many thanks this best ans for this perpos many thanks foe help keep it up

Collapse -
Hi
by XxMania / March 17, 2012 5:55 AM PDT

Hellow

I have the same problem , can you tell me what to do for windows vista ?

thanks ^_^

Collapse -
Its Not The iPhone Its The Computer
by acec0de / March 17, 2012 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi

Hi all
the its the computer that remembers the name of the first phone you use when installing the apple driver,

The phone has no identifying characteristics linked to the first phone even if its the same same phone that has been restored.

Plug in the phone, then
If you go to, control panel> device manager>portable devices>apple iphone

then un-install apple iphone and unplug and re-plug the phone in

that will sort the reporting problem and you will just get APPLE IPHONE with every iphone you plug in

Collapse -
Same Issue
by dagascot7 / June 10, 2012 10:25 PM PDT

Thanks a lot, it's simple, but it sounded complicated. This helped me with my husband's and my iphone too.
Blessings

Collapse -
(NT) thanks
by mmmlatt / April 21, 2012 11:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
helpful
by shanadar / August 5, 2012 6:23 AM PDT

thank u very much , i got it fixed , it was really annoying
i was struggling for while to fix it untill i found this helpfull answer

Collapse -
Answer
How to Fix wrong name of Iphone

Hi,

I fixed by simply seaching the wrong name that is showing up in Windows Explorer using the registry Editor, you will find 4 entries, change them all and you are done.

Collapse -
fixed it
by Bibi247 / June 21, 2012 1:37 AM PDT

Hi, i had a look in thr regedit.exe and searched for the name the computer gave to all iphones. In my case it was my wifes name. It showed me two entries. one called "label" and the other one named "friendly name" with a doubleclick on the entry you can change the name. I changed "label" with my name and the word Iphone ( capital I)and i changed "friendly name" with my name and the word iphone. Now it shows my Name with iphone ( no capital letter ) conclusion: must be " friendly name" that is the one to be changed.

Collapse -
Bonkers
by acec0de / June 21, 2012 7:20 AM PDT

Talk about over complicating stuff.
All you need to do is uninstall the apple driver from the device manager

Collapse -
It's a mad mad world.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2012 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Bonkers

Why would my grandma know to do this. She's no Grace Hopper.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.