Computer Help forum

Question

I cant open any software i have downloaded, please help me

by alis1n / November 1, 2012 4:36 AM PDT

Hi,

I have a Compaq Laptop On Vista OS its a few years old, 2009 maybe.

I use Mozilla Firefox browser, however, it force closes frequently and i am not able to update the software. My laptop wont let me open any software that i download... I have tried multiple times. The only other browser i have on the laptop is Internet Explorer, which is continuously non responsive.

I think i may have a lot of viruses on the laptop and since i dont have the installation CD that came with the laptop im not sure if wiping the hard drive will work. I did see "Windows Installer XP/2003" software and "Active@Kill disc - Hard Drive Eraser". on cnet - would that work??

I do have another laptop - Mac and was wondering if i download the software onto it then save onto a USB if i would be able to reinstall windows, that way, onto my Compaq?

If you could please explain to me how to go about wiping the hard drive and then reinstalling windows i would really appreciate it. or if you know of other ways to fix this problem without doing a wipe; please let me know and explain it to me!

Thanks in advance,

Alison

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I cant open any software i have downloaded, please help me
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I cant open any software i have downloaded, please help me
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Does the computer have a recovery partition?
by Edward ODaniel / November 1, 2012 11:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
Im not sure what a recovery partition is...
by alis1n / November 1, 2012 12:18 PM PDT

I dont have anything important on the laptop its my backup laptop, my roommate uses it though...

Any ideas on how fix the downloading/not being able to open downloaded software program?

Thanks

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Let's be clear that wiping the HDD is a bad idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 4:44 AM PDT

You claim you don't have install disks so wiping the drive is just a bad idea.

It's a good thing that you could not open Active@Kill disc since it appears you are not ready to use such.

-> Before you start you have to decide how to handle the missing media. You can check if the Compaq allows you to create the restore DVDs first and if not, order them before you do anything.
Bob

Collapse -
ok
by alis1n / November 1, 2012 12:15 PM PDT

Like i said i dont have the installation discs. i am trying to figure out the problem i dont want to wipe the harddrive since im not even sure how id do it and i have no experience with it either.

I dont want to spend money on discs... i asked earlier, if i downloaded the windows installer onto my Mac and then onto a USB drive would i be able to reinstall windows onto the Compaq this way?

Is there an alternative solution?

Thanks

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 12:27 PM PDT
In reply to: ok

At this point since you don't want to create restore media, or buy them from Compaq, it appears you might be writing that you are willing to take it to a service counter and pay them instead. Not a bad choice.
Bob

Collapse -
I think you are misunderstanding me, Bob...
by alis1n / November 1, 2012 1:06 PM PDT
In reply to: No.

Bob,

I think you may be misunderstanding me... i dont want to pay for a disc or for someone to fix it. I want to know how can i fix the issue myself... Like i said it is a backup laptop it not new either so spending money on it would not be an option right now.

Any ideas on how fix the downloading/not being able to open downloaded software program?

Thanks

P.S. The wipe the hard drive was a last resort idea...

Collapse -
And if you wipe the HDD, no more PC?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 1:59 PM PDT

You have written you don't want to create media, don't want to buy media and more. Why are you so intent of painting yourself into a very expensive corner?

As to the browser issue, there are so many causes that I can't begin to list all the possibilities.

However your insistence of not making the restore media gives me a bad impression you may be in far worse a position than most. That's where a counter can save you.
Bob

Collapse -
please explain
by alis1n / November 1, 2012 3:21 PM PDT

what do you mean by create media?
how am i "intent of painting yourself into a very expensive corner?" ?

i thought wiping hard drive and then reinstalling windows fixes multiple issues?

Collapse -
"i thought wiping hard drive and then reinstalling windows"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2012 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: please explain

"i thought wiping hard drive and then reinstalling windows fixes multiple issues?"

It could but you wrote above you don't have the restore media or Windows. Wiping the drive and your replies that you won't pay for restore media (but you didn't write a repair counter was unacceptable) means you are not ready to wipe the drive.

Look at what you wrote and you see a person painting themselves into a corner and it could be expensive to get back out given they won't pay for the cheap restore media but would consider other options like a repair counter.
Bob

Collapse -
To Clarify the problem...
by alis1n / November 1, 2012 1:12 PM PDT
In reply to: No.

The problem i am having is that when i try to download something, 'Google Chrome Browser', for example.

The software downloads into the download box and then when i try to open it to install the software it wont let me it doesnt let me click 'open' i have tried multiple times and different software and each time i try it wont let me 'open the downloaded file'.

Mozilla crashes constantly and internet explorer is not responsive...<div>How can i fix this issue? Sad

Please help.

Thanks
</div>

Collapse -
Re: can't open downloaded file
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 7:23 PM PDT

If that's the only issue download it on another machine, save it to a USB-stick and run from there.

But why not find out how to go back to factory conditions? That should be in the documentation that came with the laptop. All major laptops (like Compaq) come with at least one of following 3:
- recovery disks
- a recovery partition to boot from
- the option in the start menu to make your own disks.
People that don't know this or lose their disks have to buy new ones. Windows isn't free.

http://www.geekpolice.net/t7662-hp-compaq-system-recovery-hotkey-instructions-hp-pc-system-recovery is easy to try out. But it might be another key with you. Then find in the manual, google it with the model number, look at HP's support site or ask HP's customer service.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
by jaspersam / November 1, 2012 5:58 PM PDT

well try to run the file as a administrator
if even u r unable to run it then it is time to get a fresh copy.......the application exe may be corrupted

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.