Windows Vista

General discussion

I cannot resize my desktop background - please help.

by Rammstein420 / August 4, 2008 3:01 AM PDT

I do not remember what I was doing before the onset.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I cannot resize my desktop background - please help.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I cannot resize my desktop background - please help.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not Very Clear There..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 4, 2008 4:27 AM PDT

Is the desktop background all the way to one side? Or are you simply talking about the need to change your screen resolution? A graphics driver issue maybe? What type of monitor do you have? The more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be.

In the meantime..

To make the desktop background larger, smaller, or simply make it fit the screen, try using the monitor buttons to adjust the screen location.

If you need to adjust resolution which can affect the size of the background, then RIGHT click on a blank area of the desktop, choose "Properties", then "Settings", then change the "Screen Resolution" to something that fits your needs.

And if the resolution settings have simply disappeared, please try installing the most current graphics driver for you computer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
no i want to make it at its normal size centered in the midd
by Rammstein420 / August 4, 2008 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Not Very Clear There..

but it stays large and blurry taking up the whole area.

Collapse -
Ah...that's easy...

Go Control Panel->Appearance and Personalization->Personalization->Desktop Background and choose the "center" option.

John

Collapse -
yea i tried that already but no dice...
by Rammstein420 / August 4, 2008 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Ah...that's easy...

its really wierd...

Collapse -
This thread is SUPER old but...
by Caffiend81 / November 8, 2011 6:14 PM PST

Apparently this bug is STILL around years later.

If you're having issues using anything but the "Fill" option for a particular desktop background, you probably (like me) just right clicked the image from Windows Photo Viewer and selected "Set as desktop background." This is where the bug comes in. If you go in to change how the image is displayed, selecting "center" or any of the other non-default options, it does absolutely nothing.

Here's how I fixed it:
1. Right click your desktop.
2. Select "Personalize"
3. Click the "Desktop" link along the bottom of the window
4. Click the "Picture location:" drop down menu (where you can browse different folders)
5. Make sure "Windows Photo Viewer" is NOT selected.
6. Check "Downloads" and/or "Pictures" for your image.
7. If the image is not in one of those two folders, move it there.

Collapse -
yes!
by pammbach / February 22, 2012 7:26 AM PST

this worked! thank you.

Collapse -
Oy Vey!
by KatNerd / July 28, 2012 11:33 AM PDT

Dear Caffiend81,

I was so pumped to find your answer...as it was finally different from the same answers of "pick tile, blah blah or blah"...

I'm usually good at figuring this stuff out...but, alas, even your 7 steps haven't helped me. arghhh.

I just restored this hp laptop...with my restore dvds and driver dvd. do you think i should try to re-install the driver dvd to see if that helps? i'm scurred, as i just don't want anything to go wrong...again. ha.

any suggestions would be great. thanks.

i'll keep googling this, in the hopes i can figure it out. Happy

Collapse -
Yayyy!!!
by KatNerd / July 28, 2012 11:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
This useless link is a lazy HP article blaming "spyware". ..
by semourebeuttedz / November 22, 2012 9:25 AM PST
In reply to: Yayyy!!!

Serio Kat, is that the only contribution you make, blame it on spyware ????

Thats as bad as blaming all problems on global warming or a politiciian..

I know HP is lazy, but et tu Kat

Collapse -
Thanks for that solution
by semourebeuttedz / November 22, 2012 9:24 AM PST

Placing the overly large sized source image inside the special "Photos" directory preserved its dimensions instead of annoyingly resizing it.

You helped me restore the desktop to the bleeding size style I had set in XP and eveyr veriosn of windows in memory and this newer Vista auto resizing feature seemed to be an omitted annoyance of vista at the Wikipedia artilcle.

You are the, the authoirty Caffiend81, you're welcome to sneak into my home and steal anything you desire !!!!
Thanks a ton of tons.

Collapse -
(NT) Cannot get past step 2. No desktop link appears
by specks2009 / May 11, 2014 1:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
True.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2014 1:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
ths is really good thanks great
by dolcie12 / January 22, 2013 7:58 PM PST
In reply to: Not Very Clear There..

this is really good thanks great

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.