Internet Service Providers forum

Question

I cannot open some websites, Internet is working perfectly..

by aasswwiinn / March 26, 2013 5:23 PM PDT

I cant open certain specific websites in my PC. All my settings are optimized, PC is virus free but still I don't know where the problem is.

(HDFC Netbanking, 9Gag, Yahoo! Sites, Microsoft Sites.)

Additional Details
I use Chrome and I've updated Java, Flash, Anti-virus, my Browser and everything. Still I cant open those websites. Even I'm accessing Yahoo! from my office only. Please someone help me what could be the problem.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I cannot open some websites, Internet is working perfectly..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I cannot open some websites, Internet is working perfectly..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Do you have something like Peerblock or peer guardian runni'

some torrent programs have built in block lists...
if you have something like that blocking- or check your "hosts"

Collapse -
Not sure...
by aasswwiinn / March 26, 2013 10:20 PM PDT

I never heard of those names. I used uTorrent, but they aren't not opening even when I'm not downloading anything. How to check hosts?

Collapse -
Answer
I've seen that with torrent users.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2013 12:39 AM PDT

The worst infection to date was this Zero Access rootkit. About half the torrent users get upset that "that can't be it because I have Norton" or similar but the ugly truth remains. Torrent users expose the machines to the latest infections.

The clue is that the sites blocked are ones you use to detect, find and possibly remove the infection.

Here's Grif with the usual -> http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

Bob

Collapse -
Sites are not blocked
by aasswwiinn / March 27, 2013 4:22 PM PDT

Those sites are not blocked. I can see the Header loading for those sites in my Tab. And it shows "waiting for blah blah" in status bar of Chrome.

I've uninstalled the torrent client, restarted the machine and tried. Even I cant open those sites. I see a problem behind the torrent software. Those are important sites for me. Sad

Collapse -
Then what to do next?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Sites are not blocked

We know that torrent users tend to get the worst or newest infections. Some folk dig in and want it not to be true and lose out on some of the best help out there.

I supplied Grif's advice but your reply is sadly typical of the usual torrent user.
Bob

Collapse -
Still the Problem is ON !
by aasswwiinn / March 31, 2013 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Then what to do next?

There is no malware, adware, spyware in my PC. And I'm a torrent user for more than 6 years and this never happened to me before. Maybe Some technical/configuration problems. But I couldn't find the root cause... SadConfused

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.