Computer Help forum

General discussion

I cannot load google

by rogerpiano / January 31, 2010 9:29 AM PST

With Windows and Comcast as my ISP and homepage, I am not able to load Google. I get the message, "Oops! this link appears to be broken. Any ideas? Thanks RenoCharlie

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I cannot load google
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I cannot load google
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How are you trying to access it?
by Bam421 / January 31, 2010 12:13 PM PST
In reply to: I cannot load google

Are you typing in "", some variant of that, or are you taking a link of some sort?

Collapse -
cannot access google
by rogerpiano / February 1, 2010 8:56 AM PST

No matter how I try. Typing in Google, from link I have. Anything conected with Google I cannot access

Collapse -
Site Blocked
by engtg / February 1, 2010 9:08 AM PST
In reply to: cannot access google

Check and see if you have Blocked the Website
1. Load your Internet explorer
2. Click Tools
3. Click Internet Options
4. Click the Restricted site

Collapse -
can't access google
by rogerpiano / February 2, 2010 8:41 AM PST
In reply to: Site Blocked

Thanks again. I shall try your suggestion right now.

Collapse -
can't access google
by rogerpiano / February 2, 2010 9:12 AM PST
In reply to: Site Blocked

I tried your suggestion. Nothing appears to be restricted. Error message I get is: " Opps! this link appears to be broken". This is in response to any attempt to access Google.

Collapse -
Virus, maybe?
by Bam421 / February 2, 2010 12:29 PM PST
In reply to: I cannot load google

Try scanning your computer for viruses, it could be a virus blocking certain websites. Also, try going to,, and If any of these are blocked, you probably have a virus.

Collapse -
problem loading google
by rogerpiano / February 3, 2010 8:26 AM PST
In reply to: Virus, maybe?

I shall do what you say. Thanks

Collapse -
problems loading google
by rogerpiano / February 3, 2010 9:04 AM PST
In reply to: problem loading google

It appears now to be a virus. What now? Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Delete the virus
by Bam421 / February 3, 2010 12:29 PM PST

If you have an antivirus program, scan your PC and delete it with that. If you don't have one (you should) there are plenty of free antivirus programs here on cnet. Just go to If you can't choose, try AVG Free.

Collapse -
can't load google
by rogerpiano / February 3, 2010 1:38 PM PST
In reply to: Delete the virus

I have Norton 360. I've run scans without success. Norton says that it has removed any virus. I still can't load Google or any site connected with Google. I get a page with: "Oops! This link appears broken. Thanks again.

Collapse -
can't load google
by catchagrin / April 14, 2011 10:34 PM PDT
In reply to: can't load google

I know it i some kind of virus. My Norton is getting deactivated and I still have over a year on my license left. I was told to try that AVG free software. Hopefully tonight it will work.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.