Download.com Site Feedback forum

General discussion

I cannot get TechTracker to add my computer

by Karmen99 / January 27, 2012 4:17 AM PST

I get the message "We don't recognize the computer you are using. To add this computer to your account, download and install CNET TechTracker on this computer." I am logged in, and I have tried reinstalling several times.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I cannot get TechTracker to add my computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I cannot get TechTracker to add my computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Troubleshooting this issue
by CNETSupport / January 31, 2012 4:57 AM PST

Hi Karmen99,

I have converted your post into a proxy ticket in our support system so that we may better assist you with this issue. You should receive an e-mail to let you know that the ticket has been submitted, and another e-mail will alert you to our response, which you may expect within one business day.

In the future, you may submit support tickets directly through our support web site by following these steps:

1. Go to http://cnet.custhelp.com
2. Click on the "E-mail Support" tab.
3. Enter the e-mail address associated with your CNET TechTracker account.
4. Fill in the "Subject" and "Details" section with a description of your query or issue.
5. From the "Category" drop-down menu, choose the "CNET TechTracker" option.
6. Click the "Continue..." button.
7. Be sure to click the "Finish Submitting Question" button if none of the suggested links in the pop-up window help resolve your issue!

Thanks,
Jen
CNET TechTracker Support

Collapse -
by tilius-grandiflora / March 3, 2012 8:16 AM PST

What a complete waste of space, surely you guys are aware of these issues and should be providing simple solutions, not long winded excuses taking up the bandwidth, really...

Collapse -
Regarding this particular error
by CNETSupport / March 14, 2012 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

Hi tilius-grandiflora,

We are indeed aware of this issue, and hope to eliminate its occurrence in the future, but at this time, such cases must be dealt with on an individual basis. There is an article on this specific error message in our FAQ section here:

http://cnet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2088

If you happen to be seeing the same error, that article will outline what information we will need from you in order to fix the issue - luckily, the fix is relatively quick and easy, but of course (and as I said) we do hope to be able to prevent this error from happening in future. We certainly appreciate everyone's patience in the meanwhile!

Regards,
Jen
CNET TechTracker Support

Collapse -
Support - I'm Beyond Fed up With this Problem
by alchokem10 / March 23, 2012 7:47 AM PDT

LAST FALL, I ASKED YOU PEOPLE ON MULTIPLE OCCASIONS TO SOLVE THIS VERY PROBLEM FOR ME AND SIX MONTHS LATER, YOU'VE DONE NOTHING. MESSAGES FLEW BACK AND FORTH, WITH NO SUBSTANTIVE HELP ANYWHERE IN SIGHT. THEN YOU JUST DROPPED THE BALL. NOW I AM TRYING TO UNINSTALL YOUR OBNOXIOUS APP AS IT IS CAUSING HUNDREDS OF SYSTEM ERRORS ON MY MACHINE EVERY DAY DUE TO THIS PROBLEM. DURING THE UNINSTALL, YOU'VE JUST GIVEN ME I'VE NOW RECEIVED INCORRECT INSTRUCTIONS FOR REMOVING MY COMPUTER.

CNET, YOU NEED TO TAKE THIS SERVICE DOWN. YOUR LACK OF MEANINGFUL SUPPORT IS BEYOND BELIEF

Collapse -
RE: Ongoing Issues and Support Response
by CNETSupport / March 23, 2012 1:32 PM PDT

Hello alchokem10,

I sincerely apologize for the negative experience you had, and certainly understand your frustration. I was not aware of your unresolved support tickets until searching for your support history after seeing this post - at this point, I have only done some cursory research, but I see that you actually reported another, more complicated issue in conjunction with the "computer not recognized" error. Unfortunately, the combined issues did not have a one-size-fits-all sort of resolution like the "computer not recognized" error alone. We did investigate several possibilities, but I am very sorry that there was no follow-up after a certain point.

I will be happy to personally assist you via a reply to your most recent support ticket, but also wanted to note here that if you definitely no longer want to troubleshoot and simply want to uninstall TechTracker from your computer, although the final step of the uninstall process will prompt you to remove your computer from your TechTracker home page, if that copy of TechTracker was never properly registered (which seems to be the case), you would not need to worry about that step, and in fact would not be able to complete it. I apologize, too, if this was confusing, and will look into the possibility of making that messaging more clear.

Regards,
Jen
CNET TechTracker Support

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.