Windows 7 forum

Question

I cannot download the VLC media player to my windows 7...

by countessbathorytd / March 9, 2012 2:37 AM PST

I am new here and this is the First time Ive posted anything. But this is driving me nuts!!! I have tried everything to get the vlc media player to install on my laptop which has windows 7. Ive done the troubleshooting with changing my security on my browser, tried downloading it from different sites, all to no avail. Im about to post a question on yahoo answers and see where that gets me. But first I thought I'd share it here. Can anyone give me any suggestions, troubleshooting tips that I may have overlooked? Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I cannot download the VLC media player to my windows 7...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I cannot download the VLC media player to my windows 7...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Towel?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 9, 2012 2:41 AM PST

Try the VLC PORTABLE VERSION which is a zero install method.

I can't comment on your machine's install issues as there is no error messages and since VLC is just a player I don't see why the security of any browser is being changed.

Link? -> http://download.cnet.com/VLC-Portable/3000-13632_4-10871918.html

Use the Direct Download Link to avoid any security issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Can we be clear about this?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 9, 2012 2:41 AM PST

You mention "cannot download" in your topic, but then talk about "cannot install". Which is it?

Do you attempt to "Download then Run immediately"? If so, don't do that. Try downloading and "SAVING" the file to the hard drive, (I use the Desktop as a temporary location for saved download files), then run the installer from that location.

If that fails, tell us exactly where it fails, and what do you see when it fails, what error messages, and so on.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
I had no trouble.

I don't know what to tell you, I'm running Win 7 Pro 64 bit, and I had no trouble downloading, and installing VLC. Have you tried to go to there web site, and I mean VLC's, not a mirror. If all else fails, download the installation file to a known directory, then install it from there. That's what I did, and it worked fine. I wish you well, because VLC is such a useful program.
Regards,
TMV

Collapse -
Answer
Hello
by tegtechno / March 11, 2012 9:45 PM PDT

If you want to download VLC
so just go to the filehippo.com
in this site you will find everything to download.
If after that you not able to download so it must be a problem of virus or may any system file corrupt.
check your antivirus is up-to-date.

Collapse -
Answer
I had an issue when I tried to download
by orlbuckeye / March 12, 2012 12:09 AM PDT

some software from Microsoft Technet. What happened is the first step in the download was it downloaded a Microsoft program called the Download Manager. I kept trying over and over and it just wouldn't work. I had used it before then I though maybe I should try in in my 32 bit Internet Explorer. When I tried it with th 32 bit the program downloaded and installed. When I first attempted the DL I was using IE 64 bit and the download manager would just not work.

Collapse -
Answer
Also look at your popup setting.
by orlbuckeye / March 12, 2012 12:11 AM PDT

It may be trying to open another window and you have the popup blocker preventing it. We have that happen at my work alot especially with Adobe PDF documents.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.