Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

I cannot download any programs

by butterflygarden / September 23, 2011 11:35 AM PDT

I run windows 7 home premium but cannot download any programs or games. The problem isnt my registry keys (ran microsoft registry fix) and I have same problem with all 3 of my profiles. Ive run numerous virus scans and changed virus protection software nothing changed. Please help!!!

butterflygarden has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I cannot download any programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I cannot download any programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by butterflygarden

Collapse -
And just to add to Jimmy's questions
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 23, 2011 9:55 PM PDT

What happens when you try? What error messages? What do you see?

Collapse -
answer to questions
by butterflygarden / September 24, 2011 12:58 PM PDT

Ive tried downloading the sony ereader library, my local library's online library, and games off of discs I have.
Im not sure but i think the problem is what location its looking for. The error code is 1606 usually looks like this cannot find location %PUBLIC%\Desktop\ well thats because its not there. I have two registry keys that look like this %PUBLIC%\Desktop without the last slash. I havent changed it is because all the websites Ive been to (microsoft, etc) have said it isnt supposed to be written that way for my system. Not sure what to do. Change it or leave it and just take it to an expert.

Collapse -
Sorry but I am confused.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 24, 2011 8:27 PM PDT
In reply to: answer to questions

Public Desktop is there in Windows but you are unlikely to be able to download files to that location. Windows 7 won't let you. Try your own Desktop instead.

I just tried it. At I clicked to download the ReaderInstaller.exe file and told my browser to download it to Public > Desktop. Windows 7 would not allow that, so I downloaded it to my own Desktop instead.

What 'games off of discs'? Why are you trying to copy files off game disks to your computer?

Just one thing, NEVER change anything in the registry. Never use registry cleaners or any optimizers. We see too many reports of damage when people use these.

Collapse -
Im confused too
by butterflygarden / September 25, 2011 6:30 AM PDT

How did you tell your browser to download it to Public>Desktop? I have to download the games off the discs to play them (kinda cheesy but its the nancy drew games my daughter plays them). They wont let you play them otherwise. What do you mean "your own" desktop thought it was mine?

Collapse -
That's easy
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 25, 2011 9:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Im confused too

I tell my browser to "Ask me" where to save downloaded files. And then I navigate to where I want to save files to.

I never download files to that Public\Desktop location. Instead I download to 'the Desktop'.

Public\Desktop should not have gone missing. If it has that seems to be significant damage to this operating system.

Collapse -
forgive me
by butterflygarden / September 25, 2011 6:55 AM PDT

Im sorry about that incredibly stupid reply. I just figured out whats wrong with my computer. My public desktop folder has been deleted have no idea how!!!! Gonna get it fixed. Thanks for your reply without it I never wouldve went looking for the folder and discovered it missing. Have a great day!

Collapse -
Download from where
by Jimmy Greystone / September 23, 2011 1:16 PM PDT

Download from where, using what program? Also, I'm not aware of Microsoft having any kind of registry fixing program, so that might well be a giant clue as to your problem.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.