Windows 8 forum

I cannot decide at this time whether Ilike win 8 or not.

by ezymel / November 9, 2012 4:09 PM PST

So far I find it a little hard to use. It is not straight forward as win 7. I really miss the start menu and immediately go to my programs. When it boots up, it goes directly to the win 8 icons. Fortunately, there is a way to get to your normal desktop. Once there, at least I can access my programs by putting the one's I want into folders. It kind a substitutes the program list. Another thing I don't like is when I launch a browser from win 8 screen, it opens up in a full page with no menu, address and search bar. When I enter from my own desktop, the browser looks normal. When you expand the win 8 icons, all of them are small and so many that they are not easy to find. I wish that Microsoft gave you an option to revert back to win 7 by an uninstall program or possibly have both win 7 and 8. That could have been easy to do. Now, if I get rid of win 8 and go back to win 7, I would have to do a factory reinstall which means I have to take more time in backing up everything. Maybe time will tell if I can get used to it. The only reason why I installed win 8 is because when I bought my laptop, I got a good promotion at a very reasonable price.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I cannot decide at this time whether Ilike win 8 or not.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I cannot decide at this time whether Ilike win 8 or not.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I cannot decide at this time whether like win 8 or not.
by pauly1651 / November 16, 2012 9:49 AM PST

I am not sure that there is an answer for this inquiry, but you are not alone in this. Many people who have decided on Windows 8, have regretted it, and gone back to Windows 7. Yet some decided to give it a try and ended up liking it. It's like the old Vista days are back. Several people, who are experienced techies, don't like it at all. It clearly has a bit of a learning curve, that is harder then Windows XP or 7. That being said, you could make it a challenge to try and learn and adapt to it?

Collapse -
I Like It, But Could Like It Better
by Flatworm / November 16, 2012 9:43 PM PST

I like Windows 8 but I HATE Metro the way it presently works. Fortunately I see it only at start, and a single click takes me to my email client or Firefox or or whatever it is that I wish to use initially after boot-up. Just a reminder; under Windows 7 it took a DOUBLE click, so already the terrible burden on me of clicking my mouse is reduced by a full 50%!

But boot-up from cold is really, REALLY fast, almost as fast as reawakening a 7 or Vista computer from sleep on my computer, which is aided by an OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS SSD. And everything seems to work faster and crisper.

The loss of the Aero interface makes it a little uglier but may explain that increase in "crispiness," as Aero was a resource hog.

Everything, with only very few exceptions, worked right out of the box after an "overlay" install from Windows 7. Indeed, it installed more like an application than an O/S, and a lot more quickly and with fewer complications than, say, Office Professional or Adobe Creative Suite. It was by a VERY wide margin the easiest O/S upgrade I have ever done.

The only applications that did not work out of the box were my full-featured HP AIO drivers (the printer drivers worked fine), a Win 8 version of which had to be obtained from HP, and the skin I preferred to use with WinAmp, which required Aero (WinAmp reverted to its "Classic" skin). Those were the ONLY exceptions I have discovered so far.

But I, like many others, find Metro to be nearly unusable on the desktop, opening everything full-screen, not permitting your own personal background, and making it difficult to control the appearance of the tiles. That mandatory full screen thing is the biggest shortcoming. I hope MS decides to fix these deficiencies in SP1, but as I said, Metro is nearly irrelevant, acting only as a sort of replacement for the Start button.

Many critics of Windows 8 are actually criticizing the Metro interface. This may be relevant criticism for smartphone or tablet users, but the old desktop is what desktop users will continue to use, and it is automatically invoked upon a single click on any "legacy" application you have included among your Metro tiles.

I find it logical (I love the shutdown by hitting the power button on the CPU, "the intuitive way"), fast, less resource-intensive, easy to use, and easy to learn. Folder displays now use the MS Office "ribbon" interface which takes a little getting used to but IS an improvement.

Familiarity in my case has bred content rather than contempt.

Collapse -
Sorry, I disagree
by ronniemacell / November 17, 2012 4:56 PM PST

"Everything, with only very few exceptions, worked right out of the box after an "overlay" install from Windows 7. Indeed, it installed more like an application than an O/S, and a lot more quickly and with fewer complications than, say, .........."
I installed it like this, and Yes .. all my docs/ settings and passwords came through with it, BUT it finally finished installing after 7 and a half hours, I had to reinstall my email client, AV, Firewall, and about another 7 programmes to get the majority to work. In the end i did another reinstall and restarted from scratch. Gained 86 gigabytes of storage space, and have an excellent OS on my comp now.:) As for the programme itself, I like it. Ok, so maybe start panel is a miss, but CTRL/ALT/DEL still works fine, and it's easy enough to add a folder to Desktop for your programme icons. Happy JMHO.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.