Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

i cannot change the Desktop backgrounD!!!

by axl_rose22 / May 3, 2007 10:23 PM PDT

i cannot change the desktop background...every time i will open the properties-desktop the only thing i can change is the color,i cannot even click the browse because its gray(cannot be click) and i cannot scroll the the backgrounds.i try changing the desktop background in nvidia, there i can browse the pictures i want to become the wallpaper but eventhough i apply the settings the desktop is still the same it did not change. Everytime i will open the computer the wallpaper i apply in nvidia is appearing before the desktop icons and when the icons appear the wallpaper is disappearing and the desktop background will become the color i choose in properties-desktop. What am i going to do..please help me! (",)

Maly

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i cannot change the Desktop backgrounD!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i cannot change the Desktop backgrounD!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look for this No word in the registry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 10:25 PM PDT
Collapse -
i cannot change the desktop background!!! -reply to bob
by axl_rose22 / May 3, 2007 10:38 PM PDT

im using Ad-aware Se and avg... what do you mean by look for this No word in the registry???i cannot understand... (",)

maly

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 10:47 PM PDT

I see that you didn't use the supplied link. That's one of those No words in the registry. If you can get a friend to look at this be sure to share the link I supplied.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: i cannot change the Desktop backgrounD!!!
by Tufenuf / May 3, 2007 10:49 PM PDT

Maly, Right click your desktop, choose Properties, under the Desktop tab click the Customize desktop button, under the Web tab uncheck everything including My Current Homepage, click OK/Apply/OK.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
i cannot change the Desktop backgrounD!!! -reply to Tufenuf
by axl_rose22 / May 3, 2007 10:55 PM PDT

it's still not working... i still cannot click the browse in the desktop tab and also cannot scroll the backgrounds...

Collapse -
RE: reply to Tufenuf
by Tufenuf / May 3, 2007 11:11 PM PDT

axl_rose22, As Bob said the problem is usually malware related and there is a possible easy fix that may work but the site is down at the moment. If the site comes back up I'll post the possible fix later.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
i cannot change the Desktop backgrounD!!!
by axl_rose22 / May 3, 2007 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: reply to Tufenuf

okay..just email me and thanks!

Collapse -
Re: i cannot change the Desktop backgrounD!!!
by Tufenuf / May 4, 2007 2:01 AM PDT

axl_rose22, Go to the link below and under the letter "W"---"Wallpaper - Desktop - Disable Changing" and click on "Allow Wallpaper/Background Changes" to download a reg file fix. If you download the reg fix just save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

It may correct the problem.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
changing the desktop background
by axl_rose22 / May 4, 2007 3:39 PM PDT

i already went to the web you said and download what you have said but it is still the same the desktop is still not working...maybe if i will restart the computer it may so, i will see...i hope this will help in solving my problem: i have two user accounts in the computer, the account i'm using at the time the spyware was detected by windows is the administrator, i have a wallpaper still and then after some time the desktop wallpaper dissappeared and become some kind of gray in color. My uncle installed an anti spyware, the spyware is removed and then i am going to change the desktop wallpaper but i cannot that's where it all started... But when i'm using the other user account the wallpapers for the desktop can be changed... why only the administrator is affected?

Collapse -
My bet is the nochangewallpaper key I noted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2007 10:19 PM PDT

There are other similar "NO" words in that area of the registry. Sorry to see you struggling with this one but let me add this. I've yet to find any tool that corrects all the entries that spyware/malware drops in that registry key.

It's not amazing to read that some give up and never run REGEDIT to delete the key (too dangerous they write) but instead format or worse.

Bob

Collapse -
my backgruond is still not working
by axl_rose22 / May 4, 2007 10:37 PM PDT

if you find any solutions to my problem just email me and i'm hoping to all of you guys to help me in solving my problem....

Collapse -
Share what's in the registry in that area.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2007 10:49 PM PDT

I noted one no word, there are others.

Bob

Collapse -
registry area:
by axl_rose22 / May 5, 2007 12:14 AM PDT

what m i gong to do... i really don't know???? please tell it to me in a easier way.... im not good in computer.... tnx for trying to help me

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2007 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: registry area:

Regedit isn't for everyone. I don't have a problem with that. Try to find a friend that will run regedit and export that area for a looksee.

Bob

Collapse -
regedit
by axl_rose22 / May 5, 2007 11:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

please tell me what do you want to now to help me in solving this problem...

Collapse -
What I need is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2007 11:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
axl_rose22
by tomron / May 5, 2007 12:40 PM PDT

Check this in the registry "HKEY_CURRENT USER/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/POLICIES/SYSTEM"

Does it point to "C:\Windows\Web\desktop.html"

Heres the LINK

Tom

Collapse -
regedit
by axl_rose22 / May 5, 2007 2:39 PM PDT
In reply to: axl_rose22

name type data
default reg sz value not set
nodisplaybackground reg_dword 0x0000000(0)
page

nodisplaycpl reg_dword 0x0000000(0)
nodispscrsavpage reg_dword 0x0000000(0)
wallpaper reg_sz

Collapse -
axl_rose22
by tomron / May 5, 2007 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: regedit
Collapse -
avg
by axl_rose22 / May 5, 2007 3:04 PM PDT
In reply to: axl_rose22

it is an anti virus my anti spyware is ad-aware se personal

Collapse -
error reporting
by axl_rose22 / May 5, 2007 4:43 PM PDT
In reply to: avg
Collapse -
this might heLp
by axl_rose22 / May 5, 2007 5:09 PM PDT
In reply to: error reporting

i was just thinking that maybe the reason why i cannot change my desktop background is because of some spyware or virus.this is the report of my anti-spyware during the time i am trying to remove the spyware in my computer after that i discover that i wasn't able to change the wallpaper...

ArchiveData(auto-quarantine- 2007-05-04 11-32-10.bckp)
Referencefile : SE1R168 30.04.2007
======================================================

MRU LIST

Collapse -
Try this
by tomron / May 5, 2007 9:34 PM PDT
In reply to: error reporting

Free on line scan at TREND MICRO.Click on "Free Online Services">"then click on "house call free scan"

Did you run avg anti spyware?

Collapse -
(NT) Try avg anti spyware
by tomron / May 5, 2007 9:35 PM PDT
In reply to: avg
Collapse -
And you found it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2007 10:02 PM PDT
In reply to: regedit
Collapse -
re:removing?
by axl_rose22 / May 6, 2007 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: And you found it.

sorry i don't know how to remove them...

Collapse -
REGEDIT gives you no less than 3 ways.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2007 10:57 PM PDT
In reply to: re:removing?

1. The DEL key.
2. The Edit, Delete menu item.
3. Right click and select Delete.

Sorry if this seems to be tough but you are very close to fixing it.

Bob

Collapse -
i can now change the desktop background!!!!
by axl_rose22 / May 8, 2007 6:16 PM PDT

after deleting the things you said in registry, i can now browse pictures to be my desktop background but there are highlights on the names of the icons in my desktop,how am i going to make it transparent or how to remove the highlights??? well, thanks to all the help i can now change the desktop background...yehey!!!!

Collapse -
If...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2007 9:06 PM PDT

If you don't get an answer from Tufenuf on a new post about that I do know it's been asked before within a few weeks so the answer is laying about.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Icon text hilites.
by Tufenuf / May 8, 2007 11:15 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.