Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I can't run CHKDSK with parameter /F

by iliastax / October 4, 2008 7:50 AM PDT

After a check of disk with a diagnostic program that I have used many times in the past (TuneUp Utilities 2008 - Disk Doctor), the program suggested as usual to to restart the PC and finish the checking proccess (by windows chkdsk). But this checking had a start, a few dots appearence (like when starts the scanning), but never ended. A message informed me something like that:
"Chkdsk cannot have direct access to this volume. Chkdsk terminated."
And after that the Windows loading continued normally. This situation happened to the next boot. And the next boot again...
With some way, I managed to stop tha automatic execution of chkdsk. But from then, I can't do any chkdsk. Not in Windows, not even in Safe Mode. The message I receive is:
"Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another proccess. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)".
The strange is That I can run chkdsk without parameters. Chkdsk find problems that needs fixing, but I can't run it with the parameter /F to do this fixing.
What can i do?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I can't run CHKDSK with parameter /F
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I can't run CHKDSK with parameter /F
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your post is a little light.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2008 8:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
A notification
by iliastax / October 4, 2008 10:04 AM PDT

I forgot to say that I already run the command "fsutil dirty query c:", and my drive was clean.

Collapse -
I might add.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2008 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: A notification

You can try the article noted where you mark it dirty.

Also you could try the /X rather than the /F.
"Chkdsk /X: A new command parameter that runs Chkdsk /F and forces a volume dismount to close open file handles on non-system volumes so it can be checked immediately. This eliminates the need of a potential reboot in order to perform the Chkdsk and repair the volume."

Collapse -
I read the article right now
by iliastax / October 4, 2008 10:39 AM PDT
In reply to: I might add.

Very useful link and I thank you for that. I'm in the middle of the tries offered by the posters. i will inform for the solution to the end of the process to know all what to do in similar situations.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.