Computer Help

General discussion

I can't open regedit!!!!!!!!

by hbgowest / July 5, 2008 2:34 AM PDT

Ok so I have a Dell laptop. Inspiron 6000, Windows XP. And I can't open the Registry Editor!!!!!!! The reason why I need to open it is a long painful story, but the basic deal is I need to edit the registry to install Norton Internet Security. I was given directions by Symantec how to do it. The first step requires me going into Start>Run then typing 'regedit' to open the program. But nothing is happening. The program doesn't even pop up at all it is as if I am not clicking anything. I try opening it from Windows and it does the same thing: Nothing at all. Does anyone have any advice on what I need to do????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I can't open regedit!!!!!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I can't open regedit!!!!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Command
by repete_smile / July 5, 2008 2:57 AM PDT

Open notepad
type command.com
save it as a *.bat file
run
type regedit

Collapse -
It won't let me
by hbgowest / July 5, 2008 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Command

Notepad won't let me save a *.bat file, no idea why...

Collapse -
command
by repete_smile / July 6, 2008 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: It won't let me

go to C:\WINDOWS\system32
then find
command.com
open it
type in regedit

Collapse -
Ican open the regedit now,what's next? I can't open exe file
by puputran / January 1, 2009 2:39 PM PST
In reply to: command

Your instruction was very good I can open the regedit now but I still can't open exe file
I think the system has virus

Collapse -
Re: I can't open exe file
by Tufenuf / January 1, 2009 9:41 PM PST

puputran, I'm assuming you're using Windows XP. If you are go to the link below and scroll down to line 12 (left column) and click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

If you can't run the file do the following:
Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
THANK YOU!!!!
by somavox / February 9, 2010 12:55 PM PST

I couldn't open ANY program - I would get a message saying there was no associated file with that program, to add the program to whatever... regardless of what I was trying to open - volume control, word pad, registry, explorer, firefox, etc - that line patch that you suggested fixed it all!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!! Pat yourself on the back from me! Go eat something really good. You've earned it!

Collapse -
(NT) Glad To Help
by Tufenuf / February 9, 2010 10:56 PM PST
In reply to: THANK YOU!!!!
Collapse -
works
by lrusieshvili / March 5, 2010 3:27 PM PST

thank you, it's working

Collapse -
(NT) lrusieshvili, Glad it worked and Glad to help.
by Tufenuf / March 5, 2010 11:21 PM PST
In reply to: works
Collapse -
Re: I can't open exe file
by svr69 / April 1, 2010 3:15 AM PDT

Tufenuf

This is my first posting on any website. Thanks for your help and expertise. Your directions worked perfectly on my XP pro system.

Steve R

Collapse -
(NT) Glad it worked and glad to help.
by Tufenuf / April 1, 2010 3:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: I can't open regedit
by Tufenuf / July 5, 2008 3:14 AM PDT

hbgowest, Another possible solution is to go to the link below and scroll down to line 213 (left column) and click on "Enable Registry Editing Tools" to download a .reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Nothing works
by hbgowest / July 5, 2008 5:18 AM PDT

It won't let me do either one of those, nothing happens at all it just acts like I didn't even click on it.

Collapse -
Re: Nothing works
by Tufenuf / July 5, 2008 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Nothing works

hbgowest, Were you able to download that reg file fix? If you were and nothing happens when you double click it did you try what I suggested under:

in my previous reply?

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Yes
by hbgowest / July 5, 2008 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Nothing works

Yes I tried both of those things, and I also discovered I can't even do ctrl+alt+delete anymore. I press those keys and nothing happens. I'm not sure if my laptop is just trying to tell me its days are numbered, or if this is something I just need to pay someone to fix

Collapse -
It downloaded but won't open
by hbgowest / July 5, 2008 7:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

I was able to download the file but unable to open it.

Collapse -
Re: It downloaded but won't open
by Tufenuf / July 5, 2008 8:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
Unsuccessful
by hbgowest / July 6, 2008 5:03 AM PDT

Yeah it still won't work. I may just have to take it to someone as much as I don't want to

Collapse -
taskmanager
by repete_smile / July 6, 2008 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

find the task manager program
go to C:\WINDOWS
find TASKMAN.exe
open it

Collapse -
I was not able to open any EXE file , now I can
by jobeso66 / April 6, 2010 12:24 PM PDT

THANKS TUFENUF.

this was an awsome fix man.
I had tried other fix from other sites but this one
ROCKS!!!.
What I learned is that I got infected with the Trojan virus thru
windows messanger. Either the virus or the antivirus make some files to go crazy.

Collapse -
Might want to reconsider
by Jimmy Greystone / July 5, 2008 3:15 AM PDT

You might want to reconsider before you've actually installed anything. Norton products have been taking a serious nose dive in quality the past few years, and you can get virtually the same benefits using free programs.

Half of what NIS does is clean up, and try to mitigate the damages that can be caused by Internet Explorer. So if you simply replace IE with another browser, such as Firefox or Opera, problem solved. If you use IE as sparingly as possible, it's usually safe enough.

Another big chunk of NIS is the firewall. XP has a firewall that's good enough for most home users, but if you want something more there's always the free ZoneAlarm. If you ask me, ZoneAlarm is really little more than a waste of CPU time and RAM over the XP firewall, but it's like a security blanket for some people. It makes them feel better, even though it really doesn't do anything.

I think the only thing left in NIS is Norton Anti-Virus, which you can replace with either Avast or AVG Free.

And in exchange for all the programs being separate and having to keep them all up to date individually, you actually get a little added security. NIS programs share a lot of common code, which is normally a good thing, but if there's ever a security exploit in that common code it compromises the entire suite of programs. With the individual components, only one of them can be compromised at any one time like that.

So, before it's too late, you might want to just reconsider installing NIS and go with another solution.

Collapse -
Thanks
by hbgowest / July 5, 2008 4:59 AM PDT

I am fully intending to convert to another program. But my subscription does not run out until November, and I'm paying for the subscription. Its been almost a month since I've had this problem and the Symantec online chat support has not been helpful at all. I just want my moneys worth at least until it runs out

Collapse -
bad joke
by squirtlewa / July 5, 2008 2:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Just how many more problems will it take 'til you feel you've had enough of your "money's worth?"

back on topic:
Push come to shove, at some point you'll have spent more time than you would have spent on a fresh system install/restore.

Collapse -
please enter a subject (w/e)
by hbgowest / July 6, 2008 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: bad joke

Sure but the problem is actually my computer not Symantec. There is something wrong with my computer's registry apparently that won't let me install the program. My warranty with Dell ran out (conveniently as soon as the problems start...) I just don't like the fact that I paid $60 for a program I can't install...

Collapse -
RE: VIRUS PROTECTION
by samuel3546 / March 24, 2012 5:11 AM PDT

I have personally said to hell with most of the virus protection programs, as for someone like me who has a computer with much less capabilites(i.e performance,memory). I have found through the years the best program to use would be malwarebytes, as they have a simple virus scan, as well as a running application(with premium).. The scan is always thorough and has always fixed MOST of my virus issues(aside from registry/missing or misplaced files issues).. I run a windows xp sp2 on a handmedown computer(because I blew my other one). I have always recommended it to everyone I know because in my opinion it beats all of the expensive ones out there, and you can choose NOT to get the premium, so in essence, it is free..

http://www.malwarebytes.org

Now I have had ONE person tell me that malwarebytes "screwed" up their computer, as it was running windows 7, however, come to find out it was the conflicting priorities of the other virus protection programs that were used all along.. all in all I personally recommend malwarebytes..A++

Collapse -
Have you tried this
by 4Denise / July 6, 2008 10:03 AM PDT

Download a free antivirus program (and antispyware, if you don't already have it), install them all and run them. There is a possibility that malware is the problem. If you can't install any of them, then it probably is malware of some sort. There are online scans that can be done. It may be just that easy to fix, or it may be so frustrating that you wind up having to do a clean install, but at least your computer will be fixed. Don't forget to back up all your personal data.

Denise

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.