Computer Help forum

General discussion

I can't open a folder which contains 15 GB of movies!! HELP!

by meshoome12 / July 13, 2009 3:29 PM PDT

when i open the folder the system hangs, and closes the window automatically.
i cant access those file even if i search them.
please help. i use XP. i have tried virus searches using net protector but found nothing!

please help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I can't open a folder which contains 15 GB of movies!! HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I can't open a folder which contains 15 GB of movies!! HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A known problem
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 13, 2009 8:56 PM PDT

It may be a corrupted file.

Windows Explorer, (what is commonly used when opening folders in XP, and includes My Documents, My Pictures, My Videos, etc), will try and render the video files in a folder if the "Folder View" is set to Thumbnails. If it comes across a corrupted video file, typically a .avi file, Explorer often fails.

The solution is to find that corrupted file and delete it. But that's the difficulty. How can you find a 'possibly corrupted' file if you cannot open the folder it is in.

The trick is to fool Explorer. Open Explorer into any other folder. Make sure the folder's View is set to Details, then goto Tools > Folder options, and select the option to "Display all folders the same", (the wording may be different).

See if that works.

Mark

Collapse -
it didnt work
by meshoome12 / July 14, 2009 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: A known problem

it didnt work. i know for sure that all the files are non corrupted. I had checked each one for film quality earlier. i used a software called cucusoft for converting .avi to vcd format and thats when the problem first occurred. when i was browsing to get the address of the file through the application's browser, this problem occured. now i have uninstalled the program but the problem persists.

when i ran an antivirus scan using avg free, it said that explorer.exe was infiected. process id 3000. are the two related?

Collapse -
It is possible to infect a machine via an avi file.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2009 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: it didnt work
Collapse -
the problem didnt start till i used cucusoft
by meshoome12 / July 14, 2009 4:06 AM PDT

the software i mentioned started the problem. the same .avi file worked fine till i tried cucusoft. and its nothing like the video.

Collapse -
cucusoft is spammed here a lot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2009 4:18 AM PDT

My opinion is not something I will post.

Collapse -
just help me plz
by meshoome12 / July 14, 2009 4:21 AM PDT

i can't even open my computer, sometimes that too makes the system hang!

Collapse -
I offered a try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2009 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: just help me plz

And the results?

As to your toasted machine, go back to before cucu-days.

Of course you can reload the OS, restore from backups, etc?

Collapse -
anything else
by meshoome12 / July 14, 2009 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: I offered a try this.

is there anything else?? and if i take a backup of my stuff wont the cucu-crap come along too?

Collapse -
Did you try the suggestion?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2009 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: anything else

If not, please tell.

Also, your backup or system restore would be prior to the disaster. I guess that could be unclear to some.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.