Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

I can't Log on to Computer (even in Safe Mode)...Please Help

by boilerfan1509 / January 15, 2009 11:27 PM PST

I am unable to log on to my computer. It pulls up the log in screen, and i type in my password, and it shows my background, but it never pulls anything up. It then just logs off and puts me back to the log in screen.

Sometimes it doesnt even show the background....just "logging on" and then immediately "logging off".

I have tried to run in safe mode, and the same thing happens. I tried with Administrator and my login. And it shows background, and then logs off.

I probably screwed this all up yesterday, because my computer (being 5.5 years old) was running really slow. So i read on the microsoft website to do defrag, cleandisk, and delete AutoRun items. I think when i started deleting AutoRun items.....(even though it was only 10 or so)....i caused this mess.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas, or if i am just going to have to do System Restore. I am not TOO concerned to do system restore, because the few files that i use are saved to a zip drive, but all the setting and stuff would be a pain to re-do.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I can't Log on to Computer (even in Safe Mode)...Please Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I can't Log on to Computer (even in Safe Mode)...Please Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since no logons work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 11:54 PM PST

Try the command prompt mode. Read the full article if you must but here's the steps I use.

To start System Restore using the Command prompt, follow these steps:

1. Restart your computer, and then press and hold F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in safe mode with a Command prompt.
2. Use the arrow keys to select the Safe mode with a Command prompt option.
3. If you are prompted to select an operating system, use the arrow keys to select the appropriate operating system for your computer, and then press ENTER.
4. Log on as an administrator or with an account that has administrator credentials.
5. At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.
6. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to a functional state.

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

Collapse -
Would this loose all my informaiton?
by boilerfan1509 / January 15, 2009 11:59 PM PST
In reply to: Since no logons work.

Would this lose all of my information? I have the System Restore CD but it completly wipes everything and puts my computer back to how it was when i bought it.

Or will this let me just choose like a week ago or month ago and restore my computer to then?

Collapse -
We only lose what we didn't backup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2009 12:17 AM PST

With that said system restore is designed to restore just the OS. There is a minor issue if someone kept files on their desktop but even that issue is rare.

You have a choice. Try to not.

Collapse -
Thank You
by boilerfan1509 / January 16, 2009 1:20 AM PST

Ok,

Thanks, I will give it a shot when i get off of work.

Collapse -
log on problems

Im using windows xp and ive recently come up with a problem logging in. Ive tried going in through safe mode with a promt but I cant get to the prompt to do a system restore. any suggestions

Collapse -
If No Logons Work At All...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 16, 2010 7:58 AM PST
In reply to: log on problems

You have few choices.. First, restart the computer and immediately start pressing the F8 key, once per second, till a selection screen loads.. Once there, use the up/down arrow keys to select "Last Known Good Configuration", then press the "Enter" key and follow the prompts to restart the computer and go back to when the computer worked correctly.

If "Last Known Good" doesn't get it done, then you need to boot from your recovery discs to perform a non-destructive "repair" install of the operating system...OR perform a "destructive" reinstall which will wipe the hard drive and reinstall the operating system and all other software back to a factory state.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by tyleraiden / August 13, 2010 8:44 AM PDT

I've been having the same kind of problem but my dilemma is that I bought the computer used a few years back and don't have any of the cd's that came with it. I also can't get onto my computer to download anything. I am using a different computer can I download some sort of software and burn it to a disc to use on the broken computer and if so where do I go to do that??? Thank you in advance.

Danielle

Collapse -
If no discs, then...
by Willy / August 13, 2010 10:06 AM PDT

Just what is your problem computer model# if build by some OEM or home build? If OEM type, it may have a hidden restore/recovery partition on the drive to launch. So, if you can please provide that. If not OEM, and no discs of any type, you're stuck, you need those discs. Again, if some OEM type, like Dell or Gateway, etc., maybe the OEM maker can supply the discs for small cost is available in stock. Another source are these people:
http://www.restoredisks.com if not listed, query them, they may make or get can work for model#. the only other option if not OEM, buy new/used via eBay, Craigstlist or local, but online may have OS disks, from the likes of htt://www.newegg.com or any other trusted online vendor.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.