Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I can't favor the death penalty, but

by Steven Haninger / January 28, 2013 7:54 PM PST
Woman faces execution in Texas

neither can I find good reason for this:

"McCarthy, who is black, was condemned for the July 1997 killing of neighbor Dorothy Booth in Lancaster, about 15 miles south of Dallas. All but one of McCarthy's jurors were white.

On Friday, her attorneys asked Dallas County District Attorney Craig Watkins to delay the lethal injection, citing his interest in Texas adopting a law to allow death-row prisoners to base appeals on race."

It sound as if this woman hasn't been a model citizen and is quite possible young enough to still be a threat. She should be kept away from the public and allowed to mull over what she's done until she passes naturally.

For the rest of us, we should expect that we are all to be treated equally under the law. We cannot be more harsh or more lenient based on race. That will create more problems than it will resolve, IMO.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I can't favor the death penalty, but
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I can't favor the death penalty, but
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't think appeals should be based solely on race
by Josh K / January 28, 2013 9:37 PM PST

The person appealing needs to be able to make a case that the jury was biased and/or that the same evidence would not have resulted in a conviction from a more racially mixed jury. Where was her defense attorney when the jury was being picked?

We all know that there have been many cases of black defendants being wrongly convicted by all white juries, particularly in the South. Fortunately those days appear to be behind us. In this case, at least from the descriptions of the evidence in the article, it seems pretty obvious that she was guilty.

Collapse -
I can't favor jury selection based on race either
by Steven Haninger / January 28, 2013 10:30 PM PST

We don't make anything go away by treating it like it never will.

Collapse -
I CAN favor the death penalty according to Scripture
by James Denison / January 28, 2013 11:15 PM PST

1 John 5:16-17

"If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death."

The sins for which the death penalty is described in Scripture are quite plainly set out. God endorses the death penalty for "sins unto death".

Clearly the acceptance of a death penalty was still in effect in the NT church.

Acts chapter 5

1But a man named Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property,2and kept back some of the price for himself, with his wife's full knowledge, and bringing a portion of it, he laid it at the apostles' feet.3But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back some of the price of the land?4"While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control? Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God."5And as he heard these words, Ananias fell down and breathed his last; and great fear came over all who heard of it.6The young men got up and covered him up, and after carrying him out, they buried him.

7Now there elapsed an interval of about three hours, and his wife came in, not knowing what had happened.8And Peter responded to her, "Tell me whether you sold the land for such and such a price?" And she said, "Yes, that was the price."9Then Peter said to her, "Why is it that you have agreed together to put the Spirit of the Lord to the test? Behold, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out as well."10And immediately she fell at his feet and breathed her last, and the young men came in and found her dead, and they carried her out and buried her beside her husband.11And great fear came over the whole church, and over all who heard of these things.

Collapse -
If the Bible told you to keep slaves, would you do it?
by grimgraphix / January 29, 2013 12:50 AM PST

Oh wait... it does.

Leviticus 25:44-46

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.

Collapse -
Hmm, thanks.
by James Denison / January 29, 2013 12:59 AM PST

Where can I buy some Mexicans? Or did the meat packing companies buy them all out?

Collapse -
I believe the position of my own church has varied
by Steven Haninger / January 29, 2013 1:57 AM PST

over the centuries but has always supported the right of the state to protect its citizens by whatever means is necessary. This would include putting someone to death. Doing so, however, would never be as punishment but only to protect others. Our US penal system has all but eliminated the need for the death penalty if it was just used correctly. This means you cannot willy-nilly return violent offenders to the street and must ensure no opportunities exist to escape. About the only reason to inflict the death penalty would be if a person demonstrated a desire and ability to escape and kill again.

I guess it could be said that life without parole is tantamount to having one life taken from them. Unfortunately, we've been forced to pay the bill for food, housing, medical care and legal expenses for way too many people. There should be a way to protect the citizens from those expenses as well. I just don't have a good plan that would pass muster in today's litigious society.

Collapse -
I have said it before, execution of one innocent person...
by grimgraphix / January 29, 2013 1:40 AM PST

... is tantamount to the State committing murder.

However, if we are going to have execution in this country, then we need to make it public, so as to have all of us be witness to the execution of justice carried out in our names.

Collapse -
Executions bring out the worst in people
by Josh K / January 29, 2013 2:10 AM PST

When they're done behind closed doors there's always a mob outside whooping it up and then cheering when it's announced that the prisoner is dead. Do you think having to actually witness it might change their tune? I'm skeptical.

Collapse -
I wonder the reaction of the criminals
by James Denison / January 29, 2013 3:08 AM PST

Between dying in relative comfort in the semi-privacy of their execution room with limited viewers, or facing death to the whooping it up crowd assembled, the very public embarassment and rejection of them, as justice is finally done? In the Bible it was done to the crowd, tossing stones, so everyone's outrage could be felt by the criminal.

Collapse -
(NT) Where will you find a crowd without sin to cast the stones?
by Roger NC / January 29, 2013 6:29 AM PST
Collapse -
Besides you not understanding that passage properly
by James Denison / January 29, 2013 6:48 AM PST

since it concerned those with no sin in that matter since it obviously was a setup, I think we could find plenty who weren't guilty of "sin unto death" to meet the job.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.