Phones forum

I can't decide on a phone?

by greenghoul / July 10, 2013 4:56 AM PDT

Hey everyone,

I'm new to these forums and I can't decide on which phone to get. Currently I'm deciding between a Galaxy Nexus, Sony Acro HD SO-03D, and a Nokia N8. I know that the nokia is rather old at this point, but I've never heard anything bad about build quality from them, only that the UI is a bit dated.

Can someone help me decide/share their experience with any of these phones? Or, if there are any other suggestions, then that would be great too. My only requirements are decent camera quality and compatibility with the 1700/2100 bands so I can use them on T-mobile 3g.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I can't decide on a phone?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I can't decide on a phone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 5:25 AM PDT

The top 3 smart phone OSes today seem to be Android, iOS and Microsoft's latest nudging out RIM's BB OS. While you list camera quality and compatibility with T-mobile, I find most folk irked at being on what feels like a deserted island OS. (nobody else is on this island.)

Hope it's cheep.

Collapse -
by greenghoul / July 10, 2013 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Symbian?

I think the latest update version of the phone was in 2012 or something and people do custom updates for it...but yeah, I'm not totally sure about that phone. I'm still going to consider it...I just want to hear more about the other phones/other options first. I've done a lot of research but still can't make a decision.

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Best one
by RevFreaknic / July 21, 2013 8:00 PM PDT

You can buy the phone of your choice. Asking review to others may give you some idea. but if you do research by yourself. you will surely stick on your favourite.

You can take a look on some of the latest and best android mobiles in the current market

Google Nexus 4
Samsung Galaxy Note II
Sony Xperia Z
Samsung Galaxy S4

All are latest mobiles. You can look for which is comfortable and which suits you well according to your usage.

All Answers

Collapse -
And Sony so dated.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 6:41 AM PDT points to an older version of Android. Folk I know gripe about 2.x versions so unless it's cheap or free I'd pass.

It's GSM radio for 3G looks compatible from here.

For me, a pass as in, well I'd pass on it but it's display at over 300 DPI may be very good looking.
Collapse -
xperia ion
by greenghoul / July 10, 2013 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: And Sony so dated.

Maybe I'll look into the xperia ion lte a bit more. it has a comparable camera and can be upgraded to ICS or jelly bean. Unless the galaxy nexus camera is good. I've seen sample shots, but they varied greatly. The best thing about that phone is that it's basically open from the box and I can probably get one for just a little bit more than the n8....hmmm...I like the aspects of all of the phones but can't decide....

Collapse -
We may have a win here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 7:19 AM PDT
In reply to: xperia ion

The Sony can hold a 32GB memory card. The i9250 can't.

Collapse -
And which Galaxy Nexus?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 6:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
Now what about the Nokia 41MP camera?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 6:44 AM PDT

Yes, it's exclusive for now to Nokia. I won't link to it since it's very much in the news.

Collapse -
by greenghoul / July 10, 2013 7:09 AM PDT

The nexus that I'm looking at is the i9250 which is supposedly unlocked and such. I've considered the nokia pureview, but it's way too expensive. hmmm...

Collapse -
The i9250 is a a single worldwide GSM model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Nexus/Nokia

So not much doubt about it on T-mobile.

Some folk grind about the lack of a memory card slot. Be sure that's a non-issue to you. Since you take photos, you may find yourself dealing with this sooner than you expected.

Collapse -
by darth_styx / July 15, 2013 12:12 AM PDT

It really depends on what you want to use with your phone. If your a software guy then choose android If you want beauty in the physical aspects of the device then you might get something from Sony. As you said you only want something with a decent camera quality and there are a lot out there. I usually go out of my way to find brands which are not mainstream but may surprise you with their performance.

I found this one not too long ago. works great and it's not the usual thing that you see nowadays in people hands. Not like someone sees you with an s3 or s4 and people already know everything about your phone. Check this out you might like it. It has a great camera like you asked.

Collapse -
He states clearly that he needs it to work w/ T-Mobile
by Pepe7 / July 15, 2013 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Preference

The Huawei doesn't have the correct frequency bands for UMTS w/ T-Mobile. Sorry.

Collapse -
by RevFreaknic / July 21, 2013 7:59 PM PDT

Galaxy Nexus 4 will best suit you.. But always look upon a phone according to your requirements. Passion and usage will be different for each and every person. So don't worry. go for the one which you like the most.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.