Computer Help forum

General discussion

I can't attach files on YAHOO/Hotmail any more !!!

by KONY5000 / June 3, 2010 5:05 AM PDT

Hello,

i'm running windows 7 with a HP PAVILION DV6-1330 laptop bought last year...i have a fair internet connexion (3G)

I am absolutely desperate cause since 4 days i cannot attach any file to my emails wether it is under yahoo mail or hotmail !!! Nothing new i have installed lately that could explain this problem

Im accessing those usual mail platforms through the webmail adress (yahoo.com and hotmail.com) and NOT through Windows Live Mail which i don't like much by the way (i don't use Outlook neither)

i can download and read attachements people send me but when it comes for me to attach documents in my emails, it loads forever and actually never attach anything. I have to say i can send emails without attachments though

Also the documents i tried to send are very light photos or word documents (under 100 or 200 ko usually) so size is not an issue here

i went through so many help forums trying to find a solution in other people's posts but i failed...i tried everything :

1) i have kasperky anti virus updated so i scanned my system many time in search of viruses...nothing !
2) the windows firewall is not activated
3) i came back to YAHOO CLASSIC and back again to Yahoo NEW MAIL , it doesn't help in neither
4) i installed C.CLEANER and cleaned my whole system (delete cache, cookies, check and repair registry etc...) then restarted the computer
5) i tried to attach various light documents on both yahoo and hotmail and of both Firefox 3.6 and Internet explorer 8
6) i desactivated Windows defender thinking it could be the cause and even tried to desactivate the Kaspersky's mail control tool for 10 minutes...
7) Windows critical update have been executed

None of those have allowed me to be able to send attachments again !

i even tried to restore windows system to an earlier date just to realize the formest date it proposed me was 2 days ago...when my email attachment problem appeared 4 days back..so didn't do it

The only indication i got after all those tests is that this problem comes from my computer cause i tried from a friend's computer today with my internet connection and then i was able to attach files on both my yahoo and hotmail.com email accounts

Thanx for your help cause at this point i'm really desperate and i don't want to reach the painful point where i have to reinstall windows...

-----------------
HP PAVILION DV6-1330
WINDOWS 7
FIREFOX 3.6.4
IE8
KASPERSKY ANTI-VIRUS 2010

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I can't attach files on YAHOO/Hotmail any more !!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I can't attach files on YAHOO/Hotmail any more !!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
NEW TESTS
by KONY5000 / June 3, 2010 7:13 PM PDT

This morning, when conducting some other tests i realized that in fact if i try to send very small size files (10 ko, 20 ko up to around 50 ko) YAHOO as HOTMAIL will attach them

it's when i try larger than 50 ko size files that those webmails keep loading without end and fail to attach...

And i can't say it's due to my internet connection cause i borrowed the 3G simcard of a friend of myne and i put it in my laptop...the problem remains.

But when i use his computer (with that same simcard) and that i access YAHOO and HOTMAIL, then i can attach any size of files !!!

So it seems the problem is localised inside my computer...

I lately scanned again extensively my computer for other malware files which could cause the problem but nothing was detected...

Collapse -
Unable toattach files....
by Papa Echo / June 3, 2010 10:31 PM PDT
In reply to: NEW TESTS

The problem seems to be the inability of the OS to find or locate the files to be attached... If you have already did a system or disk clean up, try running defrag then chkdsk /f to get you files in order.

Collapse -
unable to attach files
by KONY5000 / June 3, 2010 11:21 PM PDT

actually when i brwose through the folders i can find the files and validate them for attacment...but then for some unknown reasons only files under 50 ko are attached...for other files even light ones, the process never completes

but i'll try what u suggested and feedback

thx

Collapse -
I have the same problem!
by sponaba / August 3, 2010 2:38 PM PDT
In reply to: unable to attach files

Ditto. Gateway Netbook running Windows 7 starter, Avast anti-virus. I am not able to attach larger files to Yahoo email, they get a little way through, then stop and hang. The original poster might not realize this yet, but it's not just limited to Yahoo. I can't upload larger files to GoDaddy either. Files are perfectly accessible in every other way, including copying them to a thumb drive over to my laptop running XP so that I can do as I please with them. My problem seems to have started when I sent my netbook away to Gateway to be fixed (not accepting a 2GB memory upgrade). They didn't seem to touch anything software/OS wise, but maybe I'm wrong about that. Who knows? My issues thus far have been with a 151KB PDF (to Yahoo) and a 148KB JPG (to GoDaddy). I normally run Firefox Portable as my main browser, but I've also checked IE 8 with the Yahoo side - no dice. Tried adding yahoo.com to Avast's web shield exceptions - no dice. I'm at my wits end with this problem and this is the only thread out there I've found that actually has the same problem, albeit no solution yet. HELP.

Collapse -
Same problem
by tasos5678 / December 2, 2010 8:54 PM PST

Hello.
I have the same problem.
Any solution ?

Thank you

Collapse -
Can't attach file to email
by jumb2005 / February 28, 2011 9:47 AM PST

I can't attach anything to email in hotmail. When I pan my mouse over the icon to attach a document, or picture, or anything .... the icon is not clickable. I am able to open attachments in hotmail. I also can attach files in Outlook ... just not Hotmail. Is there a fix? Thanks.

Collapse -
Try your Internet Service Provider's e-mail service.
by LucJPatenaude / February 28, 2011 4:40 PM PST

Get to find out your I.S.P.'s Hi-Speed Internet Home page onto IE9 and make it your permanent to load in-browser as soon as you click on the launcher Icon of Explorer.

Use its already protected account of E-mail by your newest copy of Internet Security Suite within that very same Home page. Then make sure the format of text or photo of the to-be attached document is fully recognized by your I.S.S. program.

After doing all this, try to write a message + the attachment into that E-mail account of yours. Good Luck.

Collapse -
Same problem
by jkparath / March 13, 2011 3:02 AM PDT

Hi

I have the same issue, did you find a solution, even 50 kb doesn't attach.

I dont think it has anything to do with the speed or the connection, i tried is at home and at work and at a friedns place.... Same proble...

Collapse -
same problem
by argdraw / January 18, 2012 3:58 PM PST
In reply to: Same problem

We have a networked system, my wifes PC struggles to attach files to hotmail
only message is some thing like, 'lost network connection' and file attachment shows error
My pc will attach the files to my or her account, so its not internet connection issue, I disabled AVG for 5 minutes on her machine, and attachment went out fine, having failed to attach 5 tries, before disabling,
looking here for more info, but if struggling try switching off your virus gaurds, (diagnostic purposes, dont leave the guards down) I'm guessing some security check is causing Hotmail to time out.

Collapse -
Same probleme
by chraga89 / May 22, 2012 4:43 AM PDT

I had exactly the same problem..... but i was finally able to attach files (600 kB, 3.MB, 7MB) just by using Google chrome rather than Iexplorer.

Collapse -
robert
by robert367 / May 22, 2012 8:48 PM PDT

This day, when performing some other assessments i noticed that in fact if i try to deliver very small dimension information.YAHOO as HOTMAIL will connect them

it's when i try larger than 50 ko dimension information that those webmails keep running without end and fall short to connect...

And i can't say it's due to my internet relationship cause i obtained the 3G simcard of a friend and i put it in my laptop computer...the issue continues to be.

But when i use his laptop computer or computer and that i access YAHOO and HOTMAIL, then i can connect any dimension information !!!

So it seems the issue is localized inside my laptop computer or computer...

I lately looked at again substantially my laptop computer or computer for other viruses information which could cause the issue but nothing was recognized...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.