Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

I can read PDF files but can't open a PDF file from a site

by mattd--2008 / August 27, 2005 10:31 AM PDT

I can open a PDF file on my system but when I am on a web site and it references a PDF file and shows a hand with an index finger when I move the cursor onto the words the PDF file does not open. Nothing happens. I just updated to WIN XP SR2 over a home version. How can I get the system to open PDF files referenced on web pages?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I can read PDF files but can't open a PDF file from a site
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I can read PDF files but can't open a PDF file from a site
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2005 10:58 AM PDT

Two things.

1. Open Adobe reader and uncheck the web integration checkbox.

2. Look for ACR*.TMP files and delete them.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / August 27, 2005 10:57 PM PDT

Taken directly from the version of Adobe Acrobat Reader Help that I have installed, and since you didn't indicate the version used on your system I hope the following makes sense -- except the paragraphs are not numbered in the help section itself:

1. Setting Options preferences: The Options panel of the Preferences dialog box provides the following preference options:

Display PDF in Browser (Windows only): Displays any PDF document opened from the Web inside the browser window. If this option is not selected, PDF documents will open in a separate Acrobat Reader window.

Auto-configure Browser (Mac OS only): Ensures that your Web browser is configured to work with Acrobat Reader each time Acrobat Reader is launched.

Check Browser Settings When Starting Acrobat: Checks your default browser settings for compatibility with Acrobat Reader each time Acrobat Reader is launched.

Allow Fast Web View: Downloads PDF documents for viewing on the Web one page at a time. If this option is not selected, the entire PDF will download before it is displayed. If you want the entire PDF document to continue downloading in the background while you view the first page of requested information, be sure Allow Background Downloading is also selected.

Allow Background Downloading: Allows a PDF document to continue downloading from the Web, even after the first requested page displays on-screen in a browser.

Display Splash Screen: Shows the splash screen each time Acrobat Reader is launched.

Certified Plug-ins Only: Loads only Adobe-certified third-party plug-ins. If you use non-certified plug-ins for Acrobat Reader, make sure that you select this option to use the Web Buy feature or to open documents with additional usage rights.

Use Page Cache: Places the next page in a buffer even before you view the page in Acrobat Reader. This reduces the amount of time it takes to page through a document.

2. Viewing PDF documents on the Web:

Acrobat Reader 5.1 installs plug-ins that make viewing PDF documents on the Web easy. You can view PDF documents in your browser, or set up Acrobat Reader to work as a helper application, so that when you open or download PDF documents from the Web, they open in a separate Acrobat Reader window.

3. Reading PDF documents in a Web browser:

When a PDF document is stored on the Web, you can click a link to open the document in your Web browser. PDF documents can display in Web browsers compatible with most versions of Netscape Navigator

Collapse -
Update on PDF's
by taboma. / September 9, 2005 3:04 PM PDT
In reply to: RE:

Thanks,
Cowboy, there is so much to learn about with Acrobat.
Presently I have 4.0 and 6.0 for the Mac in OS9 at work & OSX at my home base.
Want to get the pro version of Acrobat Pro CS when I have enough $$$ saved up. Right now, it is a wish list.
My favorite wish list would be Adobe InDesign CS.
Update to Photoshop, Acrobat and Illustrator at the same time.
Pagemaker? Will have to review that again and the updates. Won't take long at all.
Cowboy, do you know how to ride a bicycle? You never forget how to ride or use a program! All you need is to get rid of that rusty brain. That's me with PageMaker.

Thank you!

-Kevin

Collapse -
can not rea PDF files
by tbronder / September 10, 2005 1:08 AM PDT

Trying downloading the most recend abode reader
and when installing besure you indicate
you want to read pdf files

Another idea: download the pdf file to your
disk top and the click on the file, this will
active the PDF reader

Collapse -
PDF with Firefox
by taboma / September 11, 2005 3:18 PM PDT
In reply to: can not rea PDF files

Just downloaded an extension from Firefox (PDF DOWNLOAD) that will open a PDF file without downloading to your desktop.
PDF Download. Sounds pretty good if you are using Firefox.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Free fix
by loricaruso / October 13, 2008 4:33 AM PDT

I'm working in Windows XP Pro. My browser gave me the same error after installing Adobe Acrobat Professional v9. Apparently, it didn't automatically install the reader (or at least not correctly.) To fix:
1. Download Adobe Acrobat Reader (free at www.adobe.com)
2. Open Adobe Acrobat Reader (some sort of installation completion occurs when you open it for the first time)
3. Open a web browser and try to open a PDF document.

Collapse -
Unable to open Adobe Interactive form on a Mac
by lexus6312 / April 18, 2010 10:45 AM PDT

My system environment is Mac OS 10.5 + Mozilla Firefox 3.5.8 + Firefox pdf plugin 1.1.3 + SAP Netweaver + Acrobat Reader 9.3.1

In the SAP ESS portal, I could not open the Adobe interactive form with fields but I could open a static Adobe form.

I receive a message of server error of Class : UCF_AcroFrom,method : error & could not send the message !

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.