Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

I can not open folders.

by sekivaki / October 31, 2006 1:06 PM PST

I have a problem with folder options. I cant open the folders from desktop (any folders also my computer, resycle bin, my documents etc.). But it's possible to open them from windows explorer. Also I can not run jpg, jpeg files and download some sofwares from the internet. What should I do? Help me, please.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I can not open folders.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I can not open folders.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's a side effect of the damage that hit you last time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2006 8:49 PM PST
Collapse -
impossible to open them.
by sekivaki / November 1, 2006 8:26 AM PST

Thanks Bob, for your helps.
I tried to open the fix files like folder.reg, jpg.reg etc (i have downloaded zip). But I couldnt. There is error msg about application. It asks me something to do in folder options with applications. As you know I can not fully understand error msgs in japanese.

Collapse -
So do you need a .ZIP program?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2006 8:40 AM PST

Some like Winzip, I use Tugzip.

Your choice.

Bob

Collapse -
It worked. Thank you very much.
by sekivaki / November 1, 2006 8:51 AM PST

I had a zip program. First I unzipped the folder.reg and then directly imported it from regedit.exe.
Now I understand more about registry.
Thanks man.

Collapse -
Glad your machine is getting better.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2006 9:19 AM PST

Just so you know... I hate (windows) pests.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry, I need a little bit more advices
by sekivaki / November 1, 2006 11:29 AM PST

I stiil dont understand my yahoo msgr problem. When I send IMs its ok, but when I receive IMs cannot see them. where is the problem?
Also I cant download the Adobe reader.

Collapse -
Sorry, I don't use Yahoo IM. About Adobe...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2006 11:56 AM PST

I use the FOXIT PDF READER (use google to find that.) As to Yahoo IM, the usual is to uninstall and reinstall. However I use GAIM instead...

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks again
by sekivaki / November 1, 2006 12:12 PM PST

Foxit is working. About Yahoo messenger, before I tried to reinstall several times. But same result.

Collapse -
Try GAIM.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2006 12:17 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks again
Collapse -
RE: I cannot open folders
by awamrahman / May 3, 2007 2:19 AM PDT

Go to Start/Run and type in: regsvr32 /i shell32

Collapse -
Can't open any folders
by tward100 / August 12, 2011 12:30 AM PDT

I have windows 7. I can not open any folders on my desk top. I can not get into "my computer", "my documents", "the recycle bin" or any other area. I can not access any of my network drives because I can't get into My computer. I rebooted and it did help. I get no error message or any message of any type. I click on the icon and nothing happens. I can open a word document, PDF, etc that is on my desk top that is not in a folder. Also, I have a Big Mac desktop computer that is connected to the same network as the Dell. I can get into my documents from the Mac. I have all of My documents stored on an external server not on a drive in the Dell or Mac. I need some documents on the dell desk top ASAP. Any suggestions? T. Ward Houston, TX

Collapse -
This is the Windows 2000 and NT Forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2011 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't open any folders

While it may be best to post in the Windows 7 forum, this sounds as if there is malware.

Try the 7 forum and supply more details about your malware tools and if this ever worked.
Bob

Collapse -
I can't open folders
by Soumyananda / January 3, 2012 12:57 PM PST

I think some of the fieles of operating system has been deleted. Reformat your Laptop and reinstall the operating system. It may fix the problem. Otherwise you can contact customer care.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.