Computer Help

Question

I built my first desktop and I can't seem to get it to boot.

by Shafer3000 / January 17, 2013 10:21 AM PST

First off here is the build.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xF20

Right now I have it hooked up with VGA cable to my Sony TV and when I turn the tower on I just get a black screen. I tried to see if I can check that it POSTs but I haven't found any indicators on the board. I am new at this so it could be that I am missing something important.

I will give $15 of Steam goodies to the person who gets it working. That is a promise.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I built my first desktop and I can't seem to get it to boot.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I built my first desktop and I can't seem to get it to boot.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Have you tried these things:
by wpgwpg / January 17, 2013 11:35 AM PST

Can you boot to the BIOS setup? Can you boot to the Command Prompt? Can you boot to Safe Mode? Have you tried booting from a CD or DVD? If so, what happens when do? Have you tried removing the video card and using the onboard video? When you have a discrete video card, you usually need to disable the onboard video in the CPU and mobo unless directed otherwise because they can conflict. It sounds like such a conflict may be your problem, which is why I'd suggest you remove the graphics card and test with the onboard graphics. I'd also try using the VGA connection to a real monitor to help eliminate some variables here.

Collapse -
Answer
Too early
by Willy / January 18, 2013 6:38 AM PST

You're too early to attach to Sony TV. It has to be working before you attach. Why, for the very reason you're trying to locate source of problem, too much is wide open here to narrow down. You need a typical PC monitor, any that works. Then get the PC going, install all the drivers, setups and updates, etc. are done then you can connect to TV. On top of that the TV own menu has to select the viewing port you want to use. Also, it maybe very possible to setup the video PC output to grab the TV as the std. display, which may or not fall into the specs of the video port or card. Further, the TV will want to sync to the video signal and that may take a short time as well, so don't click through TV menu quickly.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
New Issues
by Shafer3000 / January 19, 2013 4:31 AM PST
In reply to: Too early

I got a code 0x30. I tried messing with the RAM sticks and there was no change. Could it be the video card? Bare in mind that the Motherboard DOES NOT have an on-board video input.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.