Computer Newbies forum

Question

I am using windows 7, A question about browsers

by Zeais / February 21, 2012 8:01 PM PST

Hi, I am a newbi, and I would like to know if it is okay to have two browsers installed. I have IE9 and Google Chrome. I only use IE9.

Thanks.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove exposed email address on 02/22/2012 at 6:07 AM PT

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I am using windows 7, A question about browsers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I am using windows 7, A question about browsers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Yes.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 21, 2012 8:06 PM PST

As many as you like.

In fact I have 3, IE, Firefox and Chrome and I have all 3 open at the moment with no problems.

About your email address. I wouldn't post that in public forums like these as they can be farmed by bots for spam purpsoes. I have asked the Forum Admin to edit yours out.

Mark

Collapse -
RE: Using two different browsers
by Zeais / February 22, 2012 1:01 AM PST
In reply to: Yes.

Thank you for answering my question about using two different browsers. Also many thanks regarding my e-mail address, I really appreciate your help.

Collapse -
You're welcome
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 22, 2012 4:55 AM PST

and I hope you enjoy your browsers.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
Mark is right and I have added Info...
by mieldita / February 28, 2012 2:39 AM PST

you can have as many browsers as you like, in fact you can also install browsers like Safari, Opera and Netscape too!
but the question is if you need to have many browser, it depends on you too. IE is kind of having a lot of issues sometimes so you can choose between Google chrome or Mozilla Firefox or both. Google Chrome is faster than any other, while in Mozilla there's a lot of configurations you can do, you can personalize it like Chrome and like IE it has almost the same Menu.

Also keep in mind that you have to clear browsing histories, cache and cookies to speed up your internet browsing. you can install CCleaner to do it for you or you can manually do it by going to:
1. (IE) Tools > internet options > General Tab click clear browsing histories check the boxes you want to clear and then click OK. 2. Google chrome > click the Icon next to the star on the upper right corner > Options > Under the Hood > on Privacy click Clear browsing Data and you can obliterate the item from what ever you prefer >check the boxes you want to delete> click Clear Browsing Data button.
3.Mozilla Firefox > click Tools from menu > Clear recent history > Choose the time range to clear > and again check the boxes you prefer.

Enjoy Browsing!

Collapse -
Answer
as many
by ives94 / March 14, 2012 11:17 AM PDT

you can have as many browsers as you want!
personally, I have Firefox, Chrome, IE9 (I never use it), Safari, PhaseOut, Maxton. It's a waste to have so many but Im used to them.
The only thing, in my experience, that should NEVER be duplicated is an AntiVirus! Maybe there are exceptions, but keep to JUST 1!

Collapse -
Answer
Multiple Browsers
by baybreeze / March 17, 2012 9:01 AM PDT

Yes, as the others said, you can certainly install as many browsers as you wish. On my desktop, I now have four browsers installed - Firefox, Chrome, IE, and Safari. I usually use Firefox, rarely use IE (for me, IE is slower). I just installed Chrome recently, so I haven't use it much yet. I don't use Safari much either, but it's there just in case.

I personally like to have multiple browsers in case I'm having issues with one or the other. I have found many times that for example, I'm using IE and some web pages are loading way too slow or not loading all the images, etc, if I go to the same site on Firefox or Chrome, everything works and loads okay and browsing is MUCH quicker. This is my main reason for having so many. I have found the same thing with my smart phone (Galaxy Nexus). I have three browsers on it and use all of them. Some sites I visit work better or quicker on one and not the other. On my smartphone, I like Chrome, especially for blogs and news sites. It seems to make all the text and such fit perfectly so I don't have to scroll to the right.

Collapse -
Multiple Browsers
by Stiff Paul / March 17, 2012 9:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Multiple Browsers

Will having more than one browser slow your computer down? Take Care! Paul

Collapse -
NO! but ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 17, 2012 3:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Multiple Browsers
using more than one browser may slow things a bit just as multiple tabs or windows with a single browser might do while pages are loading.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.