Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I am unable to install a new copy of windows on my system no

by sagarubhare / April 11, 2013 2:34 AM PDT

I am trying to install windows XP from my CD but i am unable to do so ? I have changed the boot priority option to CD but now i am unable to install it. Earlier it used to get installed very easily.
Also i am getting an error oledut32.dll library not found when i start my windows XP
When i try to install any software the installation windows pops out but in few seconds it closes automatically
Also my system hangs frequently due to this issue
Please help as i need to fix this problem as soon as possible

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I am unable to install a new copy of windows on my system no
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I am unable to install a new copy of windows on my system no
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Very well discussed area.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2013 3:21 AM PDT

When I see this I find myself doing a lot of common things such as duplicating the XP CD and trying the duplicate, cleaning the CD lens, replacing the CD drive, replacing heat sink compound and fixing the PC so the CD boots.

There is no single cause or cure so you use your observations to figure out which to fix. There are folk that can't replace a bum part and you have to wait till they do that.

Collapse -
No i am not duplicating the XP CD
by sagarubhare / April 11, 2013 2:44 PM PDT

No i haven't replaced anything of the hardware as such this problem started occuring suddenly. The issue right now is i can't install a new copy of OS since when i try to boot using CD it doesn't work it reboots again to windows XP it doesn't ask for setup option.
Also i cannot install any software because the installation window gets closed automatically within seconds. So i am unable to check whether is there any virus which is doing this.

I also tried installing Ubuntu using the windows installer option but it faces the same problem when i click on the setup the window pop ups but it closes immediately.

Thank you for your reply Bob

Collapse -
I have to ask . . .
by Coryphaeus / April 11, 2013 5:09 AM PDT

Did you format the hard drive first? Sounds like you may have done a duplicate install.

Collapse -
I cannot format the hard drive
by sagarubhare / April 11, 2013 2:48 PM PDT
In reply to: I have to ask . . .

Thats the main issue i cannot format my drive if the drive gets formatted all the issues will be solved automatically.
But as you know to format the drive where Windows XP installation is done you have to install a fresh copy of windows XP and my fresh copy is not getting installed like we install in our normal fashion by pressing F2 and changing the boot priority of our system then inserting the Windows XP CD and then the normal procedure goes on. But in my case this isn't working if you could suggest me any other method of formatting my drive it would be of great help to me.

Thanks for the reply Coryphaeus.

Collapse -
Try to recover oleaut32.dll first
by Harshada321 / April 11, 2013 3:37 PM PDT

Oleaut32.dll errors are caused if oleaut32 DLL file is either removed or got corrupted.
In some cases, oleaut32.dll errors could indicate a registry problem, a virus or malware issue or even a hardware failure.

If the file is corrupted, then firstly try to run a virus/malware scan of your entire system as the error could be related to a virus or other malware infection on your computer that has damaged the DLL file.

If the file is removed or missing, then run the System File Checker command to replace a missing or corrupt copy of the oleaut32.dll file. If this DLL file is provided my Microsoft, the System File Checker tool should restore it.

If the above solution works good, then try to install XP from your CD.

Hope this helps.
Good Luck

Collapse -
Try to recover oleaut32.dll
by sagarubhare / April 11, 2013 4:42 PM PDT

Yes you got my point i am trying to recover oleaut32.dll file and i want to check whether my PC is infected by an virus or not. But i was running my PC without an antivirus installed. Now when i am trying to install anything its not getting installed. So i can't check for any viruses or malware.

Collapse -
Re: check for viruses or malware.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 11, 2013 5:23 PM PDT
Collapse -
check for viruses or malware
by sagarubhare / April 11, 2013 10:19 PM PDT

I dont knw if there is any hardware issue with it but it gets heated up quickly and when its becomes too hot it shutdowns suddenly, if there is no activity on the computer. I have even kept it on a cool pad it worked for 3 months but again this issue started poking his nose.

Who can help me out in this situation ? I have lenovo Y410 laptop, 1 gb RAM, core 2 duo processor.

Collapse -
Re: heating
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 11, 2013 10:36 PM PDT

Check the fans, replace them if necessary.
Check the heat paste around the CPU and (if present) around the graphics processor. Re-apply if necessary.

If you can't do this yourself, find a repair shop to do it.

Collapse -
by sagarubhare / April 12, 2013 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: heating

Ok thanks for the reply
But that is not my issue i had already mentioned my problem in the post please if you could tell how to format my drive where the OS is installed it could be of great help

Collapse -
I doubt XP will install until
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2013 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Heating

I doubt XP will install until you correct the hardware issues.

You wrote above "No i am not duplicating the XP CD" which is a strange reply since I've used that workaround to get a good copy that does install.

HOWEVER, since another OS failed as well, this points back to some hardware failure. Fix that hardware and XP should install.

Collapse -
by sagarubhare / April 12, 2013 2:40 PM PDT

Okk thanks for the reply
I will get it checked by some technician and let you know what happens thanks for the support provided by you

Collapse -
Problem solved
by sagarubhare / April 13, 2013 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Heating

The problem solved it was due to heating issue that caused all the problems
Thanks all of those who helped me during this discussion

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.